Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndyC3J

Black over Red invades Orange County!

23 posts in this topic

The first black over red apparatus in Orange County has entered service.

The Howells Fire District surprised everyone (including a few of their own members) by changing the color scheme on their new 2005 Spartan/Crimson pumper-tanker. The new apparatus, delivered last Friday, is black over red, and looks AWESOME!

Bigger surprises were yet to come. Word spread quickly through the crowd that had gathered to welcome the new delivery that the rest of the fleet would soon be repainted to match! The brush truck has been done, and one engine is in the process, with it's "debut" scheduled for the City of Middletown's annual parade on September 10th.

When asked about the possibility of a quadruple wetdown to re-dedicate the whole department, one assistant chief said "That'd be SWEET!". Others weren't all that excited about it. Time will tell.

While the new development here was indeed a surprise, the emergence of that particular color scheme in the area was inevitable. Middletown's new KME engine, due in later this year, is rumored to be black and red as well.

Cool....Got any photos yet?

Edited by x635

No photos yet, unfortunately. They were too busy inspecting and training over the weekend to make anything happen (and the weather sucked, anyway).

Whats your opinion on the black over red paint scheme? OUr department just recently purchased a seagrave with the black over red paint scheme...the first ever in the department's history i believe...and i must say it does look pretty cool.

It really depends on your prefrence. Me I love unusaul colored rigs, For example Tarrytowns new TL is a sharp looking rig to me but to alot of other people I've spoke to think its ugly. Green is another interesting color, I love it. Its nice to see some creativity being put into apparatus color. BUT there is also nothing wrong with the timeless classic RED. but to answer yes I like the Black over Red combo.

I must say that some of the apparatus colors and paint schemes are interesting throughout some of the counties in the lower hudson valley...in westchester the highlighter or neon yellow i.e. hartsdale, yorktown heights and fairview seem to work, or the more subtle yellow of thornwood is nice. The only truly green department that i know of is verplanck up county.

The Green I'm talking about is Like Halstead Manor Hose Co. in Village of Mamaroneck there White over true Green. Also Jackson Hose in Nyack (Rockland County) is Cream/ over green, also Lady Warren Hose Co. in Haverstraw is White or Cream over green (pretty sure its white).

Then Yes Lime Green also like Verplanck or Carmel in Putnam.

Another color i found interesting that i cant say that i've seen before is the maroon or brown of harrison fd

Here's "a" picture of Howells' newbie. Not lettered yet at this point.

http://www.crimson-fire.com/crimson/recent...?DeliveryID=354

As for colors....Thornwood and Verplanck, man...you'd never lose either of those in a mall parking lot! They really stick out! There are quite a few "unusual" combo's that look very nice. Whether they are "appropriate" for fire apparatus is another debate for another thread, but they make for some very sharp looking trucks regardless.

Black over red with a bunch of gold leaf, and shiny polished aluminum wheels. Can't go wrong there. All red with similar "dressing" is hard to beat, too.

Another color i found interesting that i cant say that i've seen before is the maroon or brown of harrison fd

Rockland Hook & Ladder of Spring Valley (Rockland) has a Maroon Rescue. This happens to be the Color of Springfield I believe in Penn. rigs. they call it springfield Maroon.

Also another nice Rig color is German Red. Clearwater FL. runs rigs in a White/German Red paint scheme.

There is an all black fire engine on Gowans-Knight web page that looks really cool..i believe its kingsbury, ny

I was very familiar with black over red which was very common in Virginia. Especially the deep blood red that my department liked. What was nice was the new black paint had some reflective properties. which I hope that all black fire truck has plenty of marker lights and reflective trim. That is extremely dangerous statistically.

Clasic Red and White period....just my opinion.

saw the howells truck today in middletowns parade, looks pretty cool. just to let you guys on a little secret, im friends with the ex-chief and he told me that when the truck committee went to look at the truck at the factory, the shade of red was off from what they had originally spected out so, they worked out a deal and said when they re-painted the red to re-paint the white top black and then sent the other two trucks out to be painted to match the new truck. they have four trucks 2 engines both pierces, one has been re-painted, a ford/danko utility/brush, that has been re-painted, and the tanker spartan/crimson. the one newer pierce pumper has not been re-painted yet because they did not want to take 2 engines out of service at one time.

The older Pierce (E-111) went first because they were told that one could definitely be done in time for the Middletown parade, which is what they wanted. 113 has a raised roof and more stuff on it, so that would take a little longer. It will be going out within the next couple of weeks.

Black over red has been catching on recently in the NY area. I can think of a few departments that have that scheme. For some departments, it works very well. Thornwood yellow, or cream, eeeehhhhhh if it works, ok. There's making a rig look distinctive, and then there's being downright garish. I've also been noticing a gray or silver color popping up a lot lately and I must say it's interesting. Port Chesters' Engine I believe has it. TL-2 is also one of the nicest looking rigs out there. But it's a trend that I honestly think makes the rigs look much bolder.

Port Jervis has a gray/red Pierce that is just about identical to Port Chester's. PC had theirs first, though...it's a few years older. TL2 is definitely hot...and don't forget the "new" engine. B)

In case anyone hasn't seen the new Howells black over red fleet yet. You can visit my website www.ocnyfire.com and click on the Howells page under fire departments. In my opinion it looks real sharp. Good choice by them.

I don't have an updated picture of E-113 yet, I'm not sure if it has been repainted yet.

Edited by GoshenFD

113 was just announced OOS as I am typing this. I am guessing it's going to be painted, and I am crossing fingers that it'll be back in time for the wetdown on Oct. 16th.

Also found out yesterday that Warwick's Excelsior Hose Co. may be going black/red on the replacement for their '88 Mack. Time will tell, I guess.

their is a photo of it on fdnytrucks.com on other states orange counties page.

The new black and red looks real sharp....

...And I am totally a red and white person.

...I also think Tarrytown's new ladder looks awesome. I'm looking forward to that wet down to get some pics.

<_<

Howells Engine 113 is back in service as of last night, so I guess the re-painting is all complete.

FYI....the apparatus bay doors are now half and half as well!