Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyOV

University EMS

14 posts in this topic

A few friends and I are trying to est. a small EMS agency on campus. No ambulance service, just services for stand-bys. Right now the agency is just getting approved and we have $0. We need to get funds so we can purchase equipment and t-shirts to identify us. The Tee's we'll probally pay out of our own pockets, but the university and city would like us to purchase radios and put them on the same band with DBFD and EVAC ambulance in it. Im just looking for some ideas for how to intitally obtain money for the agency.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

emsjunkie712

It seems to me that the school should give you money. I am sure you have thought of that.

A 50/50 raffel is always good, you dont have to lay out much money for that , just the ticket cost.

A pasta dinner or pancake breakfast would probably go over big at a campus. you could most likely get the supplys donated.

Some kinda sports event and sell tickets to it. You could also sell food during the event, maybe take the foot ball team and have them play base ball against the soccer team or something like that..anyhow just some thoughts. good luck.

Good to hear you taking the initative!

I'm part of the ambulance corp at syracuse university. We're primarily funded from the S.U. Health Center - all students pay a "health fee" and we get a portion (VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY small portion) of that for vehicle ops, etc.

All of our MEMBERS stuff (ie: bunks for sleeping, chairs, etc.) is paid by the student gov't as we're also a student organization.

PM me if you would like more info

-mike

Sounds like a good idea, good luck to you all.

Also see if any local civic organizations (lions, rotary) or businesses would be willing to help sponsor/support you financially.

I think it's great that you're trying to start an EMS group on your campus.

I'm just getting started with EMS at my college. Our EMS squad operates at the EMT-B level of care. At present, we don't have an ambulance, only a fly car. However, the unit's leadership expects to purchase an ambulance and upgrade to the EMT-I level sometime around January 2006. Here, EMS is nominally part of the university police department, which means that our budget comes from them.

Of course, you should talk to your school administration and try to get them on board. I would also recommend that you get in touch with your local emergency services agencies. Their help can do wonders for a fledgling college EMS agency and their disapproval could do a lot to hurt your cause. So, you should really try to get them on board. You could also talk to your college's police/security/public safety department, if you have one. They might also be able to help you.

Try to establish yourself as a student organization because then you can usually get a decent amount of funding from the student government, which can go to pay for equipment, uniforms, etc.

Also, you should see if anyone from the National Collegiate EMS Foundation can give you some advice. Their website is www.ncesmf.org.

I wish you the best of luck.

Right now, were going to be classified as a club untill we can get more members and support from the student body, as well as prove our self to the school that were serious about this. Untill then we have to fend for our self trying to ger money, equipment, radios and such. We'velooked into the NCESMF and like what they have to offer so we might become accreditied with them.

Also, if we are not going to be transporting patients, do we have to become accredated with the State of Florida Health Department?

As of yesterday, i went and talked with the local ambulance service, EVAC Ambulance, www.evacamb.org, and they were suportive of the idea. I still have some phone calls to make to local representatives but so far so good. They might even donate some old equipment to us! :D

Thank you all for your insiteful comments, and all will be put to use!

NCEMSF won't give you money (to what I know) - its more of a networking thing... like a firefighter's association. They run a yearly conference and have yearly awards and such.

I do believe you still need to become accredited... you need an agency code to put on a PCR. Maybe you could talk to EVAC and try to become a subciderary of them or something like that?

Do you have a health center? Try to talk to them..

2x Past Lieutenant & Honorary Active @ Villanova University EMS (www.vems.org) Be happy to assist you with any resources. Send me a PM or email.

Cornell EMS is run as a student activity funded thing. There is some $$ from the university I believe for the service it provides, but perhaps you should talk to your student government (or whatever you call it--or whoever is in charge of "student money") to see if they would be willing to fund the starting costs. Tell them the benefits. Give them some statistics about response times without University EMS. Give them some stats about what could happen in that time frame that could mean someone's life. Make a good presentation and give them some hard reasoning why it makes sense to be student run and student funded (i.e. training organization over anything else, open to students interested in EMS--not just EMTs, community education--start a CPR teaching thing)...

Work with it, but go for student money, then if you get that, go to the university for some capital costs... Good luck...

Hi I use to be the chief of the ambulance at my school. Most of our funding came from a parents association the school had and schools also alot money for clubs. Its a mandatory thing through out the state to have money for school clubs. Make the ems squad a club in the schools eyes so you can get some money from them. But be aware soon once you get an ambulance on the road they school will start to look at liability of it. Name and stuff. They killed my rescue squad because of it and it also pist off the parents because they loved us but the school really didn't care.

Good luck I hope this helped

Hi I use to be the chief of the ambulance at my school. Most of our funding came from a parents association the school had and schools also alot money for clubs.  Its a mandatory thing through out the state to have money for school clubs.  Make the ems squad a club in the schools eyes so you can get some money from them.  But be aware soon once you get an ambulance on the road they school will start to look at liability of it. Name and stuff. They killed my rescue squad because of it and it also pist off the parents because they loved us but the school really didn't care.

Good luck I hope this helped

Thats where were haveing the trouble right now...the liablity. Were working with the National Collegate EMS Foundation to help steer us in the right direction. Right now were currently getting a meeting set up with the dean, safety, risk management, athletics, student life, student activities, housing, and any other groups we'd work closely with. Hopefully all will go well and they will be positive and like the idea.

Alex, Good luck, I hope you can get this going!

Thats where were haveing the trouble right now...the liablity. Were working with the National Collegate EMS Foundation to help steer us in the right direction. Right now were currently getting a meeting set up with the dean, safety, risk management, athletics, student life, student activities, housing, and any other groups we'd work closely with. Hopefully all will go well and they will be positive and like the idea.

Just wondering is this a SUNY school. Because SUNY Stony Brook and also SUNY Cortland have Vol EMS on campus and so does Fordam too If its a SUNY its going to be a battle to get it done but you might want to talk to them Stony Brook runs 2 buses and so does Fordam but Cortland has some kinda of 1st response thing going no ambulance but a BLS fly car i think. The National Collegate can help somewhat but look around and see how other got it done especailly if its a state school. I know the parents were a big roll at my school. Heck they gave us an ambulance.