Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Does anybody else dislike the "new" Journal News?

16 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anybody else on this board noticed the new Journal News layout and dislike it ?

Before the redesign, on a busy day when I just wanted to read the local news...which is the main reason I would read the Journal News, I could just pull out the local section, and read what's going on in the county, the editorials, and the obits, etc.

Now, the Local news is mixed vaguely and unexplainably into two sections of the paper, the front section and a new section entitled "Your World", making it hard to navigate to the news I want to read in a quick fashion. Now, on very busy days, instead of reading one section, I have to read two. The dedicated,central local news section is gone. The paper is also loaded with what seems to be even more ads then before. The increased intergration of local current events seems to be a ploy to get readers to read more of the paper...and subsequently more of the ads. Although I understand why advertising is important, I think a newspaper should sometimes realize why readers are important, and how you shouldn't have to consume all your time hunting for the stories you read the paper for. Maybe it will take some time to get used to.

There also seems to be a focus on more national stories, and a new theme "LoHud.com". In this redesign, they also redid their website....I miss their old, familiar simple website, but this new one seems decent.

As someone who is an avid newspaper reader, and has and still reads many different dailys from across the country, most have dedicated local sections. I wish we could have the LOCAL news section back.

I'm going to start my own local daily newspaper. I wonder how I would recruit Frank Beccera from the Journal News, lol. And hopefully I'd already have Truck4, an experienced news photographer in addition to the many other members of this site who get great photos.

And yes, I have submitted my comments to them.

Edited by x635

You can get your local news, but it is harder to negotiate.

The redesign of The Journal News is awful.

You can't find the local news, stories are blurred by the advertisements and everything runs into each other.

Over the last few months, I have noticed that the Westchester/Putnam editions have carried more and more Rockland news. Thank you very much....but I'm really not interested if two parking meters were removed off of Main Street in Piermont.

As to the web site, it seems that The Journal News is trying to adopt a regional concept into it's design. Hence, LoHud for Lower Hudson. PLEASE...I'm not an idiot. I lnow where I live.

The web site design has taken a step backwards and looks very cheap and unimagenative.

Oh well.

The web site design has taken a step backwards and looks very cheap and unimagenative.

You can say that again! Totally unimpressed.

The Journal News has managed to make bad WORSE.

I've disliked the "new" Journal News ever since it stopped being the "Daily Item".

I would rather read that free "Metro" paper

Oh well, at least they still have Garfield.

Simply speaking---IT STINKS!!!!!!

Journal News photographers are now being asked to shoot video along with stills on some assignments. This is for a newscast that can be seen daily on their web page LoHud.com Its a few minutes of Westchester, Putnam and Rockland news, reported by a CBS anchor person.

Stamford Advocate has nice, easy to read graphics.

Don't like the revamped Jorunal News.

I think them main question that should be asked is: Does anyone LIKE the new "LoHud" journal news?

Before I moved back to the city, I read the Reporter Distorter regularly. I preferred the Putnam County Courier. One thing about Eric Gross, he was very accurate in his story writing and was actually kind to the departments up that way.

Another fine job by Gannet to change to a format without doing consumer polling. You didn't get it when you bought out all the smaller regional papers and lost business because that is what people want, so then you had to go and start making these papers again for the locals areas to get news. Most people dove into the "local news" section. Good going gang! Bye Bye business.

I didnt think it got any worse, but over the past couple days I too have noticed a significant decrease in my Central Westchester area news, and a increase in Putnam and Rockland stuff. NOT WHY I READ THE JN!!! Not like you can find any of the news anyway with the scattered layout and ads all over....and the JN STILL has not replied in any way to my email. I'm thinking now about cancelling my subscription.

Im definatly not a big fan of this new layout but there isnt anything else thats competing with it.