Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Firefighter57

paid departments in westchester

15 posts in this topic

I didn't see anything on this topic yet so I figured id start one up.

I was wondering which departments are paid and how much of that department is paid. I know Mohegan has paid drivers but how many. Is all of East Chester, Hartsdale, Fairview, Greenville paid or is only one engine or 1 truck paid at a time. I will hear Greenville engine 150 going to runs and I won’t hear ladder4 that whole day. Then other days I will hear both going. This is what has really made me wonder. Also, I don’t hear Hartsdale going out that much, are they all paid or only partly? Is all of New Rochelle paid (most of the time I just hear engine 21 one day and 23 the next. I don’t ever hear them going out to different runs on the same day). Or how about White Plains. I hear they have a vol. co.

I know I have a lot of questions but I figured it might solve some of my confusion with what departments are paid, what trucks are paid in that department, and are they on 24 hours a day or just the daytime like grasslands.

This topic i just posted was just gone..poof! and i am posting the exact same thing so if anyone sees any problems with me asking this, can someone let me know what the problem is please!

Mt Vernon, NR, Yonkers, WP are all career. Greenville/Hartsdale/Fairview and Eastchester are mostly career, with volunteers called to working fires only (I believe). Mohegan is a combination dept, like many in the sound shore area. I think the problem with the post is calling career FF's paid drivers. Regardless of what you may consider them, they have all gone through the career FF's academy, and deserve being called something other than a paid driver.

I will hear Greenville engine 150 going to runs and I won’t hear ladder4 that whole day. Then other days I will hear both going

Both E150 & L4 are staffed by paid firefighters. Greenville also has volunteers who respond to calls.

I was wondering which departments are paid and how much of that department is paid.

To the best of my knowledge:

Fully Paid:

New Rochelle

Yonkers

Mount Vernon

Combination:

Greenville

Hartsdale

Fairview

Scarsdale

Eastchester

Port Chester

Town of Mamaroneck

White Plains

Mohegan

Rye Brook

Peekskill

Pelham

Pelham Manor

Larchmont

Rye

....Sorry if I missed any

Both E150 & L4 are staffed by paid firefighters. Greenville also has volunteers who respond to calls.

To the best of my knowledge:

Fully Paid:

New Rochelle

Yonkers

Mount Vernon

Combination:

Greenville

Hartsdale

Fairview

Scarsdale

Eastchester

Port Chester

Town of Mamaroneck

White Plains

Mohegan

Rye Brook

Peekskill

Pelham

Pelham Manor

Larchmont

Rye

....Sorry if I missed any

GFD I think White Plains is all Career with maybe one Vol. company who are more like reserves or not active at all.

I agree with firebuff860. Career is the term to use. I am sure that vollunteer Firefighters would not liked to be called "free" men. In Combination Departments the Career Firefighters do operate the apparatus. This woud be called the Chauffer position. In a perfect world a Chauffer would stay with his apparatus. Unfortunately at calls they have to park the apparatus and go in to the building, especially during the day time hours. Some Combination departments may have an apparatus,or two with 2 or maybe more Firefighters on board.

Rye has 17 Career Firefighters, one being the Lt. Fire Inspector. They operate

E 191, E192, L25 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Mininum manning per tour is 3 but each Group has a 4th Firefighter that rides out on the First due if the tour is fully staffed.The Chief has put in the 2006 budget to hire a Firefighter to work straight days M-F to ride only at all times (not fill a Chauffer position).

In Hartsdale volunteers go to all calls that are sounded, (unsounded are EMS for example.) As for Mutual Aid, all volunteers report to the station and only interior firefighters are allowed to go mutual aid. Exterior will ride the truck in district only.

What I can think of...

Career Departments:

Yonkers, White Plains, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Rye Brook & VA Hudson Valley at Montrose

Combination Departments:

Eastchester, Fairview, Greenvile, Harrison, Hartsdale, Larchmont, Town of Mamaroneck, Mohegan, Peekskill, Pelham, Pelham Manor, Port Chester, Rye & Scarsdale

Fire Brigades:

Metro-North, Grasslands, Indian Point & Sing-Sing Prison

Volunteer Departments:

Archville, Ardsley, Armonk, Banksville, Bedford Hills, Bedford, Briarcliff, Buchanan, Chappaqua, Croton Falls, Croton-on-Hudson, Dobbs Ferry, Elmsford, Continental Village, Goldens Bridge, Hastings, Hawthorne, Irvington, Katonah, Village of Mamaroneck, Millwood, Montrose, Mount Kisco, Sleepy Hollow, North White Plains, Ossining, Pleasentville, Pocantico Hills, Pound Ridge, Purchase, Somers, South Salem, Tarrytown, Thornwood, Valhalla, Verplanck, Vista, West Harrison & Yorktown

Combination Departments:

Eastchester, Fairview, Greenvile, Harrison, Hartsdale, Larchmont, Town of Mamaroneck, Mohegan, Peekskill, Pelham, Pelham Manor, Port Chester, Rye & Scarsdale

Anyone know which of these combo depts. have paid chiefs and which have vol. chiefs?

Anyone know which of these combo depts. have paid chiefs and which have vol. chiefs?

Eastchester, Fairview, Greenvile, Hartsdale, Scardale al do. I think Pelham & Pelham Manor do as well but I'm not 100% sure.

Pelham Manor has a paid chief. Pelham's is a volunteer but does get a stipend (you make a decision on what category to put him in).

Pelham Manor has a paid chief.  Pelham's is a volunteer but does get a stipend (you make a decision on what category to put him in).

What is the stipend for and how long has the village given the cheif a stipend, ie was that for use of a personal vehicle instead of a village owned vehicle?

The Chiefs stipend in Pelham is 12,500. He also gets a car w/ins and fuel.

The main reason for the stipend is that he his responsable for the career and volunteer members budget, and every day functions of the Dept. The chief is and has allways been a Volunteer member whom has gone thru the ranks and selected by the Volunteer members and confirmed by the Village Board.

The Chiefs stipend in Pelham is 12,500. He also gets a car w/ins and fuel.

The main reason for the stipend is that he his responsable for the career and volunteer members budget, and every day functions of the Dept. The chief is and has allways been a Volunteer member whom has gone thru the ranks and selected by the Volunteer members and confirmed by the Village Board.

This is another way of getting around hiring a full time paid chief. As a paid ff

I can see why many International members would have a problem with this.

Is the stipend something recent (past decade) or has there been a stipend prior to that?

Harrison Has 3 chiefs,1 capt. and 2 Lt's. All volunteer