Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

EMT Classes for College Credit

18 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of any 4 year colleges that offer EMT courses for credit or that have a policy of accepting them for credit? Thanks.

Edited by JaredHG

I go to Hobart and William Smith colleges, there in the process of developing an emt class for credit. I believe the way there going to do it is by treating it as an elective and giving a half credit for the class.

I go to Hobart and William Smith colleges, there in the process of developing an emt class for credit.  I believe the way there going to do it is by treating it as an elective and giving a half credit for the class.

How many credits does that relate to at a college with a normal 120 course load?

Thanks.

Syracuse University allows for EMT class to be counted for 6 credits (2 classes)... grade goes into your GPA. nice A! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the information mikeinet, would it be possible for you to post a link to your course catalog that has that information about the EMT course? My school wants to see that other university recognize is as a real course and not just "life skills" before they will give me credit.

Edited by JaredHG

uhh... well, its' listed as HEA300 which is a "special topics" class - its under health & physical education - I can't even find it listed in a course catalog... its pretty much only availiable to ambulance core members.

if you private message me I can get you in touch w/ our manager though - she is in charge of all that and is listed as the "professor"

The EMT program is ponsi certified program you should get 7 credits for it at all SUNY and CUNY colleges. You get 2 credits for first responder and 5 for EMT Basic for a total of 7 I think for medic its a total of 11 credits. But i got 7 for mine.

I think you get 6 credits for taking EMT-B at the Univeristy of New Haven but I don't know if they will take NYS cetification or if you have to pass the national certification too.

Cornell University awards 6 academic credits (3 each of 2 semesters) for basic, and 8 (4 each of 2 semesters) for Advanced/Critical Care...

Roe,

Can you find me where it says that on Cornell's website, I tried googling, but it didn't yield anything fruitful.

Thanks.

Edited by JaredHG

Pace University allowed me to transfer in all 5 credits of the EMT course (which I took at WCC). They also gave me another 2 credits for being a CPR instructor. I was able to use them towards electives.

I have never tried this but I am sure it can work if you want to add some credits to you degree. One of my friends did it though, but he really never told me if it worked or not. For a fee SUNY Empire State College will give you credit for an EMT class, Fire fighter one and two and some other fire classes too. You would have to check with them though its part of the SUNY system. I know almost every community college offers an EMT class for credit but its different from a normal EMT class. Midterm paper, final thesis paper and some other little twist in it too. Not too easy A for the 6-8 credits depending on the school.

WCC (westchester community college) gives you 5 college credits for the course

Dutchess Community College gives 6 credits for EMT and it is listed as an EMT course, not a health or physical education course. I know you asked for 4 yr. colleges but I figured it may help.

WCC isn't 4 years though

Edited by anon311

a 2 year school rockland community colleg gives you 8

John Jay College Of Criminal Justice (CUNY)

NYS EMT=3 Credits

NYS AEMT=9 Credits

Not applicable to G.P.A.

John Jay asks for a copy of your card and check with NYS DOH.

It also offers an EMT course through its Special Programs Department.

Edited by MP134