Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BedfordFire

Hose reels on rigs

27 posts in this topic

Although i dont know how useful they are... are there any trucks around the area that carry large hose reels to dispense large lengths of five inch or other diameter hose in the hosebed? We considered it when designing E108 as it does carry 5000ft of five inch...but it just wasnt practical

Irvington had an engine that carried 4 inch hose back in the 70's and 80's. I don't believe that they have it anymore.

Brewster had a hose truck that carried 5 inch hose on a reel. That too is out of service I believe.

I think P'Ville has an engine like that...maybe Thornwood. Rear hose reel for LDH.

Union Vale Fire District up here in Dutchess has a truck with a reel for dispensing LDH. Inserted is a picture of their truck outfitted with a hose reel.

I will post the stats of how much LDH this carries, and numeric of the truck when I find it out.

UnionValeHoseTruck.jpg

Brewster's Hose Reel is being re-chassied by Gowans Knight onto I believe a Ford F-550

Fort Montgomery Tanker 423 has 2500 ft. of 4" LDH on a reel. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the rear. It is a 1976 Ward LaFrance.

423fortmontgomery-s.jpg

Union Vale Fire District up here in Dutchess has a truck with a reel for dispensing LDH. Inserted is a picture of their truck outfitted with a hose reel.

I will post the stats of how much LDH this carries, and numeric of the truck when I find it out.

UnionValeHoseTruck.jpg

"Lazy Lay!" - Union Vale 67-81 - 5000' 5in

What about your 39-81!

Those are the only two in Dutchess County... I know Kent Ct. (Engine 60) is a VERY impressive 82 Oren with two reels on it.. i'll post pics when I get a chance.

The only reels in Pleasantville are the booster line on R 47, and E 90. Unless you mean the antique hoose reel at Hays Hose, seen through this link :Hose reel

The LODI FD in bergen co NJ has a hose reel truck for the ldh. you may try fdnytrucks.com for a pic of not sure if he has it.

What about your 39-81!

Those are the only two in Dutchess County... I know Kent Ct. (Engine 60) is a VERY impressive 82 Oren with two reels on it.. i'll post pics when I get a chance.

East Fishkill FD 39-81 contains 5000' of 5" LDH, but it is in a normal lay in the hosebed, no reel in the back.

Picture023.jpg

Edited by xfirefighter484x

In CT, Monroe Fire runs a Mack / Middlesex pumper with two hose reels equaling 4000 feet (I think) of 5 inch, Stepney FD has a Maxim with 3000 feet on a reel and Scotland FD has a truck they bought out of Cape Cod that has 3000 on a reel. These towns are rural and have very long lays from hydrants or water sourses.

That's an impressive 5" hosebed lay on the East Fishkill 39-81 !!! Us South WC boys are not used to seeing so much 5" in one apparatus.... we sure take all our closely-spaced hydrants for granted....

That's an impressive 5"  hosebed lay on the East Fishkill 39-81 !!! Us South WC boys are not used to seeing so much 5" in one apparatus.... we sure take all our closely-spaced hydrants for granted....

We got something called Dry Hydrants in our town. Lots of them. What is this regular Hydrant you speak of?

Yes, they are dry-hydrants. I just meant we have them so close together that I can't imagine using more than 500 feet of hose to hit a hydrant (and that's stretching it, LOL)........

Hahaha, I guess my sarcasm was not as obvious as it should have been. We have very few hydrants in our district, but the majority are dry hydrants, those PVC pipes that go into static, or kinetic water sources. Pressurized hydrants are few and far between up here in the boonies.

Morris(Litchfield County),CT I know atleast one of there rigs has a giant hose reel on the back of the truck.

Chappaqua E-145 has a 3inch hose reel. Not sure of the total length these days, but I've seen it make some faily impressive lays before. It's on an early '80's Mack M series.

I've only seen one 5 inch hose reel before. Seminole County, FL E-27. I'll try and find a pic or two.

In CT, Monroe Fire runs a Mack / Middlesex pumper with two hose reels equaling 4000 feet (I think) of 5 inch, Stepney FD has a Maxim with 3000 feet on a reel and Scotland FD has a truck they bought out of Cape Cod that has 3000 on a reel.  These towns are rural and have very long lays from hydrants or water sourses.

Stepney's reel truck (E-102) is a 1972 Maxim that has only 2000 ft of 5". It used to have around 2500 ft of 5" until Monroe E-201 ran over 5 lengths of it at a structure fire (sorry, had to bust your b*#@s on that). E-102 is in the process of being replaced within the next year or so. The new E-102 will not have a hose reel due to newly installed hydrants in the fire district. Monroe/Stepney are in the same town and are no longer rural. www.stepneyfire.com

There are two departments in Westchester (that I'm aware of) that carry 5000 feet of 5 inch in the hose bed, Bedford Village (Engine 108) as mentioned and a Pound Ridge engine. These two are almost identical.

Edited by TRUCK6018

Chappaqua's Engine 145 carrries 2,000 feet of 3 inch on the reel. Engine 144, 146 and TL 27 each have about 2,000 feet of 5 inch flat packed in the hose bed.

on Long Island, in suffolk County on the North Fork, the Cutchogue FD has a 1990 e-one 1500 gpm engine with 2200' of 4"ldh on a reel. Shelter Island FD has a 90's 4x4 frerrara engine with i believe almost 4000' of 4" on reel(s)

Edited by my2cents

Speaking of five inch, over this past weekend i think i heard that a greenwich rig responded to a fire not realizing it dropped 1400' of five inch on the way to the scene....

Speaking of  five inch, over this past weekend i think i heard that a greenwich rig responded to a fire not realizing it dropped 1400' of five inch on the way to the scene....

wow, how did that turn out?

I am pretty sure that UnionVale Fire, in Dutchess County has a rig with a large hose reel, which carries 5000" of 5" supply line. I'm not sure how old the rig is, as I havn't seen it in quite some time.

You may want to contact them, Chief: Dave Schmoke, 845-677-9262

Although i dont know how useful they are... are there any trucks around the area that carry large hose reels to dispense large lengths of five inch or other diameter hose in the hosebed? We considered it when designing E108 as it does carry 5000ft of five inch...but it just wasnt practical

I am pretty sure that UnionVale Fire, in Dutchess County has a rig with a large hose reel, which carries 5000" of 5" supply line.  I'm not sure how old the rig is, as I havn't seen it in quite some time.

You may want to contact them, Chief: Dave Schmoke, 845-677-9262

UnionValeHoseTruck.jpg

What about your 39-81!

Those are the only two in Dutchess County...

Just finished talking with a friend from UVFD St. 1, he said that he is unsure of the exact year of 67-81, but he thinks it is from the '80s, although from the pic, I think it looks more like early '90s. He will get back to me when he checks it out the next time he stops down there and checks it out.

Edited by xfirefighter484x