Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Truckie 1075

Will there be a March Probie Class for Westchester

79 posts in this topic

Listen I was making a point, regarding how excited some of the posters are getting about the next Probie school, there has been probie school in this county for approx 25 yrs, its a NY state law that was initiated by the state firefighters union. but what I was saying was these guys are getting a little over excited because its only probie school. and to the remark about PT, it is definite weather permitting ie... TOO HOT, TOO COLD etc. Thank your union for saftey first, other wise you won't have any saftey policies in place. Its something when you get this kind of response, like this was the first ever school. :rolleyes:

Why shouldn't they be excited? Probie School is exciting time. Not everyone likes to be pesimistic, some people have enthusiasm. Even though I've been on quite a while, I still remember how exciting it was anticipating getting hired and starting school. While it may be a distant memory or not important to you, that is far from the case for most.

And I do give credit to the union for lobbing for the safety policies. However, I think that weather should never be an excuse for not doing PT....that's why there are gyms.

Edited by BrotherFF

HEY ALS ; I CANT WAIT FOR THE DAY THAT WE ARE ON THE SAME SIDE OF THE DESK TOGETHER LIKE I SAID BEFORE THE ACADEMY WAS THE BEST 14 WEEKS I EVER HAD THERE WAS NEVER A DAY THAT I DID NOT WANT TO GO . MAYBE IT WAS THE 2 OR 3 MILE RUN MAY BE THE 30 FLIGHTS OF STAIRS OR JUST THAT THERE WERE GREAT INSTRUCTORS AND YOU NEW YOU WOULD LEARN SOMETHING THAT WILL STAY WITH YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE OR MAYBE SAVE YOUR A@# SOME DAY OR A BROTHER. WHEN I LOOK BACK ON ON IT I REALLY LOVED EVERY MINUTE AND I WAS NOT JOKING WHEN I TOLD THE CAPT I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN

4-2

Edited by LAGRANGEFF40

Its definetly a great 14 weeks, its not easy and you only get out of it how much your willing to put into it. Learn from it. Do the running, get in shape now before you get there. Weather is no excuse. We ran in the rain, and did PT indoors. Its not a cake walk. and shouldn't be. I am definetly glad about the instructors enthusiasm. It makes the academy that much better and you will thank them for that one day down the road when all your hard work training and studying pays off. So, yes, be excited and get ready it marks the start of years and years of service. .

Hey Guys, from what I've been hearing, Skittles has had more experience in the last 2 months in the VERN, than most of you will ever have, including some of the Instructors! Let's not forget, you can't fight a fire with a Text Book! It may not be too long before he is up in the Academy teaching Aerial Ops.

R1, glad to keep you entertained.

I could give a $hit less if the academy was given in this county for a 100 years. Being part of its staff is a highlight for me and many other instructors and I don't get excited over it, I get enthused. I love watching a probie class grow and gain the pride and relationships along the way. Maybe we shouldn't get excited of a new group of persons who will become part of the career fire service family, maybe we should just walk in because its just probie school and see how it goes. Does that make much sense?

Get going LaGrange, I have seat at the desk for ya.

notice how quiet I have been during all this.

Hey i'm glad Kittles is catching fires, as long as he stays safe. He was a asset to the class- all of them caught his attitude.

ALS you know how I feel you can team up with me anytime.

We produced a good product--I just hope the Chiefs and Officers from the Departments can build on that.

Probie classes come and probie classes go--It will take some time for the 03-2005 to have its right full place in the long line of probie classes but i'm willing to bet it produces a lot of fine Fire Officers and Chief in the future.

Check back in a few years when some of them are taking promotion exams.

look back on the wall in the Training center and count how many of past probie class have produced Officers and Chiefs.

All of us connected with the probie class- past or present should be proud of what we have accompolished.

BFFT 2000-1 was one of the best experiences I have had and I had to go to Mountour Falls to get it. The enthusiasm of the instructors made it that much better and made the class bond and become one. It is 9 weeks of my life I will never forget. And the instructors should be given all the credit. I would hate to have to go to BFFT w/ instructors who were just there for a pay check. These people are there because they care about us and want to pass some of their knowledge to the new guys. I commend their enthusiasm.

apparently we are doing somthing right

wether your in class 03-2005 or 2000-1 you never forget, who was in the class or who taught the class and always remember the learning experience

Does anyone know if White Plains is sending any to the March class?..if so, how many?

Does anyone know if White Plains is sending any to the March class?..if so, how many?

None for this class.The City has a hiring freeze.

None for this class.The City has a hiring freeze.

Ouch...any idea how long the freeze will last? I kind of figured that with all the expanding that the City of White Plains has done in the recent past ..and with all the future building plans...that the City would also be expanding the Fire Dept, Police Dept, Dept. of Public Works, etc.??

Edited by cl117

should be very happy als

you entertain me too ! <_<

OK OK heres the latest scoop

Probie class is starting--it may start as late as april 3 rd and last till the end of june.

20 in the class as of today

5 newburgh

3 Garden City

8 Mount vernon

2 VA

1 Scarsdale

1 Fairview ( Westchester)

anyone know if Eastchester reserved any spots

Well capt if you look hard enough you can spell eastchester out of that list ! try it i did and it worked !!!!

4-2

all departments have been canvased, the career chiefs have met, so unless departments that want to hire get a move on, they will miss the class, Probie class starts in Montour Falls Feb 27th Westchester class start date is likly to be

april 03.

Heard a rumor that Yonkers has a couple of people they want to hire, but not enough for thier own class. Will they be in this class?

Heard a rumor that Yonkers has a couple of people they want to hire, but not enough for thier own class.  Will they be in this class?

i know yonkers has their own academy, so they wouldnt put anyone in the westchester class...right? unless they are creating their own class as usual, and maybe putting a couple more in the westchester class, but i dont even think they can do that...or am i wrong????

haha, sorry crest...i sort of mis read your post, and in response, i pretty much rephrased your own question :rolleyes:

i also heard a RUMOR that a couple of guys from the old list finally received their letters into the academy, so that hopefully the new list can also come out sometime within the near future....but i dont think they will be put into the westchester class

yonkers runs their own training academy, so i doubt they are going to change that for just a couple of people...i think they will most likly wait until they get the minimum amount (which i think is 20) of people before they start a new class...but again, i'm not sure...just what i think

Career Fire Chiefs Fire Academy 03-2006 will start April 03 2006, with graduation scheduled for June 30 2006.

There are apx 25-29 Probies none from Yonkers in the class.

As of FEb 17,2006

Academy Director

Career Fire Chiefs Fire Academy 03-2006 will start April 03 2006, with graduation scheduled for June 30 2006.

There are apx 25-29 Probies none from Yonkers in the class.

As of FEb 17,2006

Academy Director

hey fire capt.

maybe you can clarify a lil bit on this situation with yonkers...so far it seems to be alot of hear say, but rumor is that some people are getting notifications from yonkers...most likly the ones from the old list, meaning that they might be finally getting ready to put that class in, so that the new list might get activated sometime within the year maybe????...of course, no one seems to know the def. answers to this question, even the best sources, haha...so just wondering if maybe you knew anything at all, and could possibly throw some detials out there!

really appreciated :D

letters.

hey fire capt.

maybe you can clarify a lil bit on this situation with yonkers...so far it seems to be alot of  hear say, but rumor is that some people are getting notifications from yonkers...most likly the ones from the old list, meaning that they might be finally getting ready to put that class in, so that the new list might get activated sometime within the year maybe????...of course, no one seems to know the def. answers to this question, even the best sources, haha...so just wondering if maybe you knew anything at all, and could possibly throw some detials out there!

really appreciated :)

There will not be a class from Yonkers. I don't know why people would be getting letters. There are not enough vacancies to justify a new class and certain hiring protocols that need to be met which should not be discussed here, and until there is a need to fill vacancies, no one is getting hired by Yonkers Fire anytime soon.

And to answer a previous question, Eastchester Fire has sent out canvass letters.

yes i know they went out being i got one! any idea of when the agility might be?

yes i know they went out being i got one! any idea of when the agility might be?

i know its been a couple of years,,,but, didnt they give the agility like 2 years ago?

Edited by gss131

i heard pleasant valley has been recruited to teach the probie class about team play, and the importance of a good attitude!!!

no white plains in the academy

Edited by zibbidy

eastchester does the agility after the interveiw. i was told sometime in mid march just trying to get an idea of the date?

letters.

There will not be a class from Yonkers. I don't know why people would be getting letters. There are not enough vacancies to justify a new class and certain hiring protocols that need to be met which should not be discussed here, and until there is a need to fill vacancies, no one is getting hired by Yonkers Fire anytime soon.

And to answer a previous question, Eastchester Fire has sent out canvass letters.

just like crest and i said...its what we heard...just rumors that somehow spread around pretty quick, and for what reason, i have no idea...figured somebody could clear it up...so thanks for doing that

i also dont understand what protocals your referring to that we've been discussing, or if you just mean that for future reference its something that shouldnt be mentioned online???