Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ex-commish

Camera preference?

11 posts in this topic

I see alot of fantastic pictures on this site. I am presently looking to buy a new digital camera and was wondering kind of cameras you guys and gals are using out there. I need something with lots of zoom and also need to know what is considered adequate megapix. I would be using this for fire service stuff and also my son's sporting events. Any info you can render is appreciated. You can respond here or to my e-mail which is Amanc2196@aol.com. Thank you.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT. Mine currently has the stock lens, but for good zoom I am going to look at the Tamron (Ibelieve that's the correct spelling) 18-200 MM telephoto. It's a great camera. I got it at Ritz Camera in Bedford Hills. I paid $1000.00 with the lens which is the 18-55 MM. I am very happy with it---Great Unit!

I see alot of fantastic pictures on this site. I am presently looking to buy a new digital camera and was wondering kind of cameras you guys and gals are using out there. I need something with lots of zoom and also need to know what is considered adequate megapix. I would be using this for fire service stuff and also my son's sporting events.  Any info you can render is appreciated. You can respond here or to my e-mail which is Amanc2196@aol.com. Thank you.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

I perfer a Canon. But I have no clue which is the best or newest. Currently I have a Cannon PowerShot A95. As far as how many pics it holds, it maders on how much MB is on CF card u have for the camera (512 MB=512 pics for mine). U can buy many different size MB for CF cards. I would go to Best Buy or Circut City if this is ur first 1. But im not talking about the stuff DOC22 is talking about, Im talking about like a small family digital camera.

Click This To See PowerShot A95

Edited by N.R.F.D.~TL-11

The more Megapixels the better...you can get 9 0r 10 megapixels for $500 or less nowadays. But the real price factor if the fancy options, do you need them or not...

Try this site for some good reviews of different cameras:

Steve's Digi-Cams

Edited by CAM502

Nikon all the way,

I have A Nikon D-70 and coolpix 5000 i love there camera's to see some pics they take vist my site

WWW.FDSNAPSHOTS.BIZ.TC

I just recently bought a Cannon Powershot A620, 7.1 megapixel. I researched many cameras and talked to a bunch of people including people on this site, I definately got a lot of info and people were very pro cannon. I have had the camera for about a month and I love it, I have a 4x Zoom lens with 4x Digital Zoom (16x total), the digital zoom is high quality. It comes with a 32mb mem card but I suggest buying at least a 512mb one or possibly the new 1gig. I really love this camera its compact and has a foldable lcd screen to prevent scratching, unlike the very small compact cameras. I was debating between this one and the cannon SD 550, I thought it was actually too small and the 2.5 inch LCD would definately get scratched by me. These are just my thoughts but go with what you like. I would also suggest researching this on cnet. My camera costs me a little over 400 with a few extra accessories. The digis are very nice but can get very expensive very quick especially once you start looking at the Cannon Rebels.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controlle...5&modelid=12072

Edited by M2theAX

I worked in a camera shop for a while and to tell you the truth you do not need to go over a 6 mega pixel or so. Unless you want to make a billboard then around 6 Mega pixels will do just fine. Your just wasting your money if you go over 6 mp's. If you know what your doing you could make a 20x30 poster out of a 2 mega pixel and still make it look good. The key thing to look for when buying a digital camera, if it is not the SLR type, is the Optical Zoom. The optical zoom is the actual lens zooming in and out. The digital zoom is useless, it is just like enlarging something on a copy machine your just making the quality worse. You could probably get a 10x optical zoom and 6 mega pixels for a reasonable low price at BHPhoto.com. They are the worlds largest camera store, located in Manhattan, and if you know some one who lives out of state you can have it shipped to them, that way you beat the tax. The best digitals i feel are Fujifilm, Nikon, or Canon.

I received a Canon Powershot A520 for Christmas, and could not be happier! I am still experimenting with all of its features, but for a minimal price, I have a 4 Megapixel camera, and have been complimented by several people in the photo field as to the results it has produced. Unfortunately, I only have a 4x optical zoom, and wouldn't mind something a bit more, but still, not a bad camera at all!

Take a look at this site they list just about every camera with reviews great info

http://www.dpreview.com/

BH Photo is a awesome store if you do go down make sure you go upstairs and check out the used dept. you can get some really good deals up there

Cannon is all I've ever used, so from Actual use experience I would have to say Canon. I have also Heard Nikon does have some fantastic Cameras aswell.

To go into detail reguarding my first post, Nikon camera's have great AF Modes.

Also they have great shooting modes 14 on my camera in total everything from night portait, to night landscape, to day landscape, and so on.

Also a lot of good lens makers like Tamron, Cannon, Nikon, and so on have a lot of lenes for almost every D-SLR that Nikon makes.