Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

JBendick's Classic Yonkers Fire HQ's Photos

12 posts in this topic

Some old photos I dug up from the Archives my dad John F. Bendick. This set of photos are Hi-Res scans of slides, which came out great. I had them scanned in at photo lab and it was worth it, they saved them all onto CD for me.

If you can ID anyone in the photos please E-mail the info.

View the set of photos here

00920058_G.jpg

Great Old Photos, circa 1970. Nice to see the Old Engine 3 (58' ALF that was Capped, if I am correct?). I think that the New Station 3 on Vark Street had not yet opened, so therefore, Engine 3 was still running out of the Old Riverdale Ave station. It appears that one of the Photos might be on someone at the Wheel of what appears to be the wither 68 ALF Mid Mount Old Truck 1 (that ended up as Truck 2) or the 67 Mack C Closed Cab). Would be terrific is you could find any other photos taken by your dad from back then, especially more of the rigs from that period of time.

great photos,can make out some faces, will fiqure the rest out with some help,will pass on the info to you

My favorite is of the one with the girls walking by!

My favorite is of the one with the girls walking by!

I have to agree, that one's great.

"My favorite is of the one with the girls walking by!"

- They don't look like this down here anymore............

There is more to come.. I have two sets almost ready to go. Also have a few more shots from the last day in the old Station 3 with the rig parked outside. Now that I have a good system for the old slides I will have to look for more at his house.

There is more to come.. I have two sets almost ready to go.  Also have a few more shots from the last day in the old Station 3 with the rig parked outside.  Now that I have a good system for the old slides I will have to look for more at his house.

Nice shots Tom. They were mentioned in the on-line YFD Retirees Forum and they're stirring up a lot of memories. That sedan coming out of HQ is Car 90, which was the Chief of Department's car. You can see Chief Gerlock in the passenger seat...

Hey Tommy, those are some excellent photos! Thank you for sharing them with us all!

I was gonna start a post to thank you, but i soon saw than many of our members here have beat me to it lol! Glad to see how many other members enjoyed looking at these photos!

I have to say, i have 2 favorites; The one (i believe 2 out of 19) of the Fireman sitting in the passenger seat of the apparatus, smoking a cigar. He just depicts that era soo well, hes calm, cool & collective. He sits there, layed back with his feet up on the dash, enjoying a smoke, as comfortable as could be....awesome! The photo looks like it belonged in a magazine or newspaper!

My other favorite, as was most of yours, is the one with all the firemen hanging IFO HQ, watching the pretty girls stroll by lol! The fact that John was able to take the shot at that moment was priceless!

My company is in the works of bringing back our historical committee. A couple of guys have dedicated alot of time, tracking down old photos & articles of our department & its members. Problem is, theres probably alot of old-timers that have photos that are either long gone or they won't give them up.

I think its great to have such photos & articles so that we can look back on them in the future and have some great memories. Thats why i have recently gotten into firehouse related photography, so that my generation of firefighters may have some nice memories to look back on!

Tommy, again, thanks for sharing the photos, they're awesome!

Tom - I also would like to Echo the sentiments of everyone, who really enjoyed seeing these classic YFD Photos. As I remember growing up, my Uncle (who worked out of Station 11) would drive my dad and I, on a Saturday Morning, down to "Downtown Yonkers" to pick up a few items from some of his colleagues at the various statoins on the West Side (grew up on the east side). I remember going into the Old Station 3 on Riverdale Avenue and seeing the Old ALF 700 Engine 3 brought back a "TON" of memories. If you have any other photos of some of the Vintage Rigs of the 1950's and 1960's from Yonkers, in such candid format, that would be a true TREAT for everyone. We look forward to the next set and THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU !!!

I have a set due out sometime tomorrow. They are from 1970, of a working fire on Odell Av.

"My favorite is of the one with the girls walking by!"

- They don't look like this down here anymore............

LMFAO!!!!

Ain't that the truth...... :lol:

Those pics did bring back alot of good memories from when I was a kid. We spent alot of time in "The Square".

Edited by Stepjam