Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve

Mid Mount Aerial Ladders

21 posts in this topic

I have recently noticed that very few departments purchase mid mount aerial ladders any longer. Most appear to be rear mounts. However, midmount tower ladders appear to be more of a choice then a rear mount tower ladder.

Any thoughts on this topic?

Mid mount aerial apparatus allow for a lower profile and with modern chassis design, you can often have just as much compartment space as a rear mount. In fact a modern midmount will allow for everything a rearmount will... Hose bed, pump, tank, ground ladders, compartmentation etc.

Also, there is an advantage to a mid mount in my mind... With a rear mount, if the driver doesn't back in, you lose between 30-45ft of aerial reach (the length from the turn table to the front of the apparatus.) With a mid mount, you only lose the length of the cab.

There are several manufacturers that make mid mount aerials.... These are the ones I know off the top of my head

Pierce makes a 100ft Midmount on a tandem axle

American LaFrance makes a 75, 90, 100ft Midmount on a tandem axle

Sutphen makes a 50, 65, 75ft midmount on a single axle, 104ft midmount on a tandem axle

E-One makes a 50ft midmount telesquirt on a single axle

KME makes a 100ft midmount on a tandem axle

Smeal makes a 100ft midmount on a tandem axle

Marion makes a 75ft midmount (not sure axle requirement)

Ferrara might make a 100ft midmount on a tandem axle.

Edited by mfc2257

Mid mount aerial apparatus allow for a lower profile and with modern chassis design, you can often have just as much compartment space as a rear mount.  In fact a modern midmount will allow for everything a rearmount will... Hose bed, pump, tank, ground ladders, compartmentation etc.

Also, there is an advantage to a mid mount in my mind... With a rear mount, if the driver doesn't back in, you lose between 30-45ft of aerial reach (the length from the turn table to the front of the apparatus.)  With a mid mount, you only lose the length of the cab.

There are several manufacturers that make mid mount aerials.... These are the ones I know off the top of my head

Pierce makes a 100ft Midmount on a tandem axle

American LaFrance makes a 75, 90, 100ft Midmount on a tandem axle

Sutphen makes a 50, 65, 75ft midmount on a single axle, 104ft midmount on a tandem axle

E-One makes a 50ft midmount telesquirt on a single axle

KME makes a 100ft midmount on a tandem axle

Smeal makes a 100ft midmount on a tandem axle

Marion makes a 75ft midmount (not sure axle requirement)

Ferrara might make a 100ft midmount on a tandem axle.

Seagrave also makes Midmount Trucks

Click- Seagrave Midmount

Edited by N.R.F.D.~TL-11

Who in the county actually runs mid mount sticks? (only ladder trucks)

So far i got banksville and yorktown heights...

Edited by BedfordFire

Seagrave also makes Midmount Trucks

Click- Seagrave Midmount

Seagrave makes Mid Mount Towers via the Aerialscope platform.

To my knowledge, Seagrave hasn't made midmount straight jobs in some time.

Until recently Ladder 41 in Ossining was a Maxim mid mount

Somers ran an American LaFrance (1950's) midmount until a few years ago

Banksville Runs a 1970's Maxim Mid-mount (Ex Greenwich)

Yorktown Runs a 1968 Seagrave/Maxim Mid-mount

Other Than That thats all the Mid-mount Aerials in service at this time.

If U include Tillers than also Hastings, Mamaroneck, Rye, and Port Chester. Figuring your not.

post-2471-1139900877.jpg

Seagrave just started making midmout aerials again last year. There keeping up with the competition with Smeal, Stuphen, Pierce and LTI American LaFrance.

Seagrave just started making midmout aerials again last year.  There keeping up with the competition with Smeal, Stuphen, Pierce and LTI American LaFrance.

I would be interested to see what they are offering. Do you have any pictures, links, etc. that show their product. I didn't see anything on their web site when

I followed the link that N.R.F.D.~TL-11 pasted.

Can it be ordered as a quint on a single axle with a 75 foot stick.

I guess this means that after ladder 51 (yorktown heights) goes out of serivce, Banksville is the only mid mount left in the county...

I stand corrected on my last post. Seagrave is offering a ladder-tower mid mount configuration like Smeal & Pierce. NOT a mid mount ladder. I read the press release wrong.

Here is the link:

http://www.seagrave.com/About_Us/News/Pres...20New%20Mid.pdf

There is a picture of this new truck on the web site under what's new. Laydon OH purchased the first one.

Sorry about that all.

E-One also makes a mid-mount tower. I don't know, for a fact, if it's available just as a stick or not. Ditto for Ferrara.

E-One also makes a mid-mount tower.  I don't know, for a fact, if it's available just as a stick or not.  Ditto for Ferrara.

Ferrara's ladders and towers units (not the chassis or body) are all made Smeal.

Also Pierce and Smeal ladders were the same thing up untill the mid 90's until they split. that is whey they both look very similar. Both were verified by Firematic and Smeal.

I Think that Yorktown's current ladder will still be in service as ladder 68. Can anyone from Yorktown confirm this?

I'm not from West Somers (I mean Yorktown), but yes the old L-51 is going to remain in Service as L-68.

Somers will hopefully be returning to a mid-mount stick in 2007-8.

Mid-Mount aerials STILL in service in Westchester....including towers.

Bedford Hills TL57 (Seagrave / Aerialscope)

Briarcliff TL40 (KME)

Chappaqua TL27 (Sutphen)

Dobbs Ferry TL23 (Mack / Aerialscope)

Eastchester TL17 (Spare Ladder 15) (ALF)

Fairview L1 (Tower) (KME)

Harrison TL24 (Sutphen)

Hartsdale TL15 (FWD /Aerialscope)

Hastings L22 (Tiller) (Don't recall)

Larchmont TL7 (Sutphen)

Mamaroneck Village L20 (Tiller) (?)

Mount Kisco TL14 (Sutphen)

Mount Vernon Tower 1 (New Seagrave), Old Tower 1(?) (Mack)

New Rochelle TL11 (Spare Ladder 14)

Sleepy Hollow TL38 (Sutphen)

Pelham Manor TL3 (Mack / Aerialscope)

Pleasentville TL5 (Spartan? / Aerialscope)

Port Chester TL2 & L31 (Tiller) TL2 Sutphen, L31 ?

Rye (Spare) L26 (Tiller) Seagrave

Scarsdale TL29 (Sutphen)

Somers L18 (Tower) Sutphen

Tarrytown TL78 (ALF)

Thornwood TL1 (Sutphen)

Valhalla TL49 (ALF)

West Harrison TL9 (KME)

Yonkers TL71 & TL75 (ALF)

Yorktown L51 (Currently) (Seagrave)

Banksville L77 (Maxim)

Some former mid-mounts I recall....

Croton L44 (Maxim)

Harrison (Tiller)

Hartsdale (#?) (ALF?)

Mohegan (ALF) Quad 10?

Sleepy Hollow (Seagrave)

Ossining (Both companies) (Maxims)

Somers L18 (ALF)

Valhalla L49 (Maxim)

Edited by Remember585

Ladder 68 will remain in service.

Just a note. Any apparatus manufacture will build what every you are looking for as long as you want to pay for it. The down side of mid-mount ladder is the large over hang. Ladder 68 is about 3feet longer then Ladder 51 and that's on a Low Pro. Mid- mounts ladder in todays standards (100ft 500lb tip-load) will have a much longer wheel base. and a much longer over hang. The key to specing out any apparatus is knowing your area (building, streets, and codes-ie setbacks). In Yorktown a 75ft ladder rear or mid-mount would be a waste of money.

You have to know what will work for the area you protect.

Bigger isn't always better.

Edited by ytpastchief99-00

I have recently noticed that very few departments purchase mid mount aerial ladders any longer. Most appear to be rear mounts. However, midmount tower ladders appear to be more of a choice then a rear mount tower ladder.

Any thoughts on this topic?

I BELIEVE SOME DEPARTMENTS ARE ATTRACTED TO MID MOUNT AERIALS FOR HEIGHT RESTRICTIONS USUALLY LOWER THEN REAR MOUNT AERIALS BEDDED ON APPARATUS ROOF. SUTPHEN MADE A LINE OF MIDMOUNT AERIALS . REASON SOME DEPARTMENTS WENT WITH SUTPHN MID MOUNT TOWER LADDER WAS FOR HEIGHT GETTING INTO QUARTERS,NOW WITH THE ESCAPE LADDER ATTACHED I AM NOT SO SURE

Hartsdale had two ALF mid mount straight sticks ladders 46 and 47

post-12-1140555730.jpg

Edited by HFD23

Our department replaced a 100 foot mid mount with a 100 foot rear mount and it has been great. The main reason is that New Canaan has a lot of tight roads and driveways. We had maneuverability and driveway access problems. The rear mount gives us much greater maneuverability and therefore, we can get it into most driveways. We have no problems reaching the house wether we go in front first, back in, or drive alongside.

The biggest challenge for us was that we needed to raise the bay door opening height and design a special garage door opener to get the truck in the bay. With a rear mount you trade a shorter overall length for greater overall height. But, we got a low profile Seagrave and the height is something like 10 feet 4 inches. Great for old firehouses.

Alot of departments still like the mid mount aeial ladders. I used to belong to Ossining Fire department and we speced ouot a rear mount arial ladder due to the fact that after looking for a new mid mount we found that all manufactureres had made the mid mount arial ladders longer. You very rarely find a id mount around 47 feet long which is acually small in length. These day's they are much bigger. If you look into it these days you will find that most rear mounts will be very good and when making the transitions on the roads when going up hills they don't bottom out as much, if at all

ccbub31

Hastings L22 (Tiller) (Don't recall)

Its a American LaFrance, the company might be looking at specs for a new one cause they are due for a new truck right after E-46(Hann) gets there new truck.