Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Virginia Trooper killed when gun in truck goes off

6 posts in this topic

What a tragic and strange accident. Thoughts and prayers to the Trooper and his family.

Trooper killed when gun in truck goes off

The Associated Press Feb 19, 2006

A Virginia State Police trooper was killed yesterday when a gun inside a vehicle being moved after a wreck discharged, striking him in the chest, police said.

The trooper has not been identified, pending family notification.

Police said two troopers responded to a single-vehicle crash just after noon on state Route 649 in Clarke County. Two occupants in the pickup truck were arrested at the scene on alcohol-related charges, state police said in a news release.

As the damaged truck was being moved shortly before 2 p.m., a gun inside it went off, striking one of the troopers. The other trooper was not injured.

The injured trooper was flown to Inova-Fairfax Hospital, where he died about 2:45 p.m., police said.

State police investigators retrieved the gun. The Clarke County Sheriff's Office assisted state police with the investigation, which was continuing last night.

Edited by x635

Just on saftey question here since I do work with the CSP, didn't they search the car since there was an arrest prior to them removing the truck??? This is tragic. Shouldn't have happened.

I feel very bad for the family of the Trooper. Rest in peace.

Just on saftey question here since I do work with the CSP, didn't they search the car since there was an arrest prior to them removing the truck???

I don't know about this specific case, but its possible they did not search the vehicle. In NJ, the law recently changed where the police are not allowed to search the vehicle incident to arrest if the subject is already in handcuffs. The courts ruled that the subject is no longer a threat once he is under arrest and in handcuffs, so now we don't get to look in the car without a warrant.

Just on saftey question here since I do work with the CSP, didn't they search the car since there was an arrest prior to them removing the truck???

I don't know about this specific case, but its possible they did not search the vehicle. In NJ, the law recently changed where the police are not allowed to search the vehicle incident to arrest if the subject is already in handcuffs. The courts ruled that the subject is no longer a threat once he is under arrest and in handcuffs, so now we don't get to look in the car without a warrant.

Not a good change in the law for law enforcement officers. God knows what will be towed away without a search. Drugs, firearms, etc. Even with the threat removed a search often lead to drugs and firearms being removed from the street. Often stolen firearms.

Sorry to hear you have to get a warrant. Like you don't have anyting better to do.

As a former VSP Trooper, I can tell you that we were required to do a vehicle inventory for any vehicle which was towed and stored. We were also able to do a search of the vehicle incident to the arrest (vehicle exception to the search warrant requirement). I am not sure what happened here, but I will tell you that the VSP is a well trained, hard-working agency.

It is a tragedy no matter what........

As a former VSP Trooper, I can tell you that we were required to do a vehicle inventory for any vehicle which was towed and stored.  We were also able to do a search of the vehicle incident to the arrest (vehicle exception to the search warrant requirement).  I am not sure what happened here, but I will tell you that the VSP is a well trained, hard-working agency.

It is a tragedy no matter what........

You said it. I have a couple of friends with VSP, all very well trained and professional.