Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sbvfd596

FF1 out of state

18 posts in this topic

Guys, I was wondering weater on not what I've heard is true. First, I've heard you can take FF1 at 17, than take the test and finish at 18. Secondly, can you take ff1 in one state, than have it transfer over to another?

Thanks

only if you have taken the national firefighter one test can it be transferred to another state

For those of you intrested CT fire 1 programs are nationally certified. However you can start at 17 but must be 18 and on insurance by the time practicals start. Not much you can do w/out insurance. I am almost postive you must be affiliated with a CT dept. to take the fire 1 course.

Edited by cas2383

I thought the New York state FF1 and 2 were nationally certified. That sucks if its not.

I took the national FFI exam in NY a few years back when they were offering the exam to those with basic and intermediate FFI, HazMat Ops, etc. It transferred without problem to CT when I moved.

Where are you getting a National Firefighter 1 or 2? The only standard is NFPA and to my fairly educated knowledge there is no such thing as Nationally Certified as a firefighter. That being said, there could be ARFF stuff and there defineately is national registry EMS levels. Many states may have reciprocity with other states, but there is no nationally recognized curriculum that certifies you anywhere in the country. This is an initiative of many NFA staff and fire service leaders nationwide. Their theory is to have a national certification like Docotrs, Lawyers and EMT's so we can become a true "Profession". See Fire Chief or Firehouse article by Denis Oneal the superintedant of the NFA.

Where are you getting a National Firefighter 1 or 2? The only standard is NFPA and to my fairly educated knowledge there is no such thing as Nationally Certified as a firefighter.

The following blurb was lifted from the NYS OFPC website:

NATIONAL CERTIFICATIONS —

through our accreditation by the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications.

National Certifications are recognized in most States, by agencies of the Federal Government, and in some foreign countries, and provide a vehicle by which firefighter training can generally be transported across jurisdictional boundaries.

The following link goes to NPQS/ProBoard:

http://www.theproboard.org/?cfpcNavDLTEST=|30599|30774|

I cant stand how I cannot test out of FL's FF1, with NY FF1 and FF2...makes me very angry that im going to have to redo FF 1 down here B)

I cant stand how I cannot test out of FL's FF1, with NY FF1 and FF2...makes me very angry that im going to have to redo FF 1 down here  B)

Even if u take the national FF1 test, they won't accept it?

Even if u take the national FF1 test, they won't accept it?

I believe so...the testing center laughed and snickered at me when I called and told them I was from NY and I wanted to test out.

Edited by EMSJunkie712

Each state has their own rules. You just happen to be in Florida whom doesn't take much from any state.

Be glad for anyone else, many states wouldn't take NY at all until they started requiring testing. Have fun in FF 1 again and you'll probably end up enjoying it. I had to take FF 1 in Virginia, but then then again I only had the old essentials so what a eye opener it was of how subpar NY training was years ago. The good thing was in VA no extra tests, you took the class and your test was graded by the state via standardized tests with no. 2 pencils. You had to wait another couple of weeks but when you got your results your cert came with it, (or a failure letter) and that counted for your national cert being virginia follwed that solely.

Be careful when you say or imply National certifications. There are two recognized systems, and depending on where you are, the definition changes. The first system, NPQS, National Profesional Qualifications System or Pro-Board, originated in New England, essentially as an off-shoot of the NFPA. It has the most available certifications, and is accepted from a wider number of states. The second system, IFSAC, International Fire Service Accreditation C(?)ongess, is based out of Oklahoma State University, and has its orgins with the IFSTA (red book) contingent. Some items, ie. Safety Officer, have certifications with one system and not the other. Most of Connecticut's programs are NPQS, AND as a plus, IFSAC approved. The main impetus for any of the nationally approved certifications is monitored testing, and the check/balance system that the program meets the intent. Essentially, that means that there should be more to any certified program than allowing the student to just sit in the back of the class and get a certificate. You might as well give a similar certificate to a potted plant.

Geppetto is correct when talking about Proboard and IFSAC. If you take FF1 in any State that is accredited by IFSAC then NYS will accept the certificate. I have spoken with OFPC on this topic to see if a Texas FF1 & 2 would transfer to NY. Since the Texas State program was accredited by IFSAC OFPC advised that the certificates would transfer to NY as well. Currently 36 States, DC and the US DOD are part of IFSAC. To see whats states are IFSACO go to IFSAC.org.

Who gets certificates for sitting in the back of the class?

I also feel that the "national testing" by NY should be even more stringent, especially the skills portion of the test. And I also feel that the courses that require a written test should be a sealed, standardized test much like what other certifying and licensing agencies administer. If you take a codes class, your test is in No. 2 pencil on a bubble form and is sent to albany for grading. Why are we not doing this for firefighters? I can come up with a few deductions as to why but I better keep them to myself.

unfortunately the "national certification" is up to individual states. challenging exams in other states is extremely difficult and can take a year if they let you at all. I had that problem when i moved to florida a couple of years ago and couldnt transfer my certs. Eventually just audited ff1 and took the state test to get my cert. Florida for example will only accept certs from arizona.

I cant believe als is holding back--thats not your style!!! but do agree with you there should be more testing and a better testing system. we are making our instructors test out!! why not the students

Let's be realistic here - NY has only recently come on board with any type of testing system. It wasn't that long ago that certificates were given out, based solely on attendance. I am not praising Connecticut's programs - but their system has been in place since the early 80's. If you start comparing the two states, and this is solely my opinion, Connecticut has less programs available, but the one's they have, are better maintained. NY has many more programs, but the consistency of their quality is/has been questionable. This is most probably due to individual instructors, but a good portion is the state's oversight. Connecticut gets feedback for it's programs/instructors frequently by comparing scores on it's tests. Can we honestly say that every NY program/instructor is getting that? NY has made considerable positive strides over the last ten years, but it still has aways to go. If NY's programs are up to snuff, then maybe students should take a "national" exam at the end of courses rather than have to take a NY one first and then another for "national" certification. It seems to me, that at the very least, the students/instructors would have comparison data on a national scale.

Unless the laws of physics have changed, fire doesn't burn any hotter here.

Let's be realistic here - NY has only recently come on board with any type of testing system.  It wasn't that long ago that certificates were given out, based solely on attendance.  I am not praising Connecticut's programs - but their system has been in place since the early 80's.  If you start comparing the two states, and this is solely my opinion, Connecticut has less programs available, but the one's they have, are better maintained.  NY has many more programs, but the consistency of their quality is/has been questionable.  This is most probably due to individual instructors, but a good portion is the state's oversight.  Connecticut gets feedback for it's programs/instructors frequently by comparing scores on it's tests.  Can we honestly say that every NY program/instructor is getting that?  NY has made considerable positive strides over the last ten years, but it still has aways to go.  If NY's programs are up to snuff, then maybe students should take a "national" exam at the end of courses rather than have to take a NY one first and then another for "national" certification.  It seems to me, that at the very least, the students/instructors would have comparison data on a national scale. 

Unless the laws of physics have changed, fire doesn't burn any hotter here.

Lets face it NYS certs back in the day are junk. NYS is just starting to get into some real fire classes, by offering finally the option of national FF-1. NYS Traning :huh: has been a joke in my opinon...