Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Tniss

Croton-on-Hudson - 1963 Fire Patrol #1

18 posts in this topic

My friend bought this a couple of months ago. Now in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania.

DSC03934.jpg

DSC03947.jpg

DSC03936.jpg

DSC03923.jpg

Any one have the history on this rig? It is lettered as a Fire Police unit??

FF398, SteveOFD, CLM92982 and 4 others like this

Nice photos! It looks like your friend kept it in great condition!

WOW.... the old girl looks really good.... I thought it just fell apart after we got rid of it, at least thats what it sounded like happen.... any other pictures would really be enjoyed by some of us Croton guys... as a kid my dad was a member of R18 and I remember putting in many hours cleaning and putting it back together after calls....

thanks..

WOW! It's in great condition! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Edited by firedude

Croton Fire Patrol No. 1 is the name of our Rescue Company. In it's beginning and earlier years, it was a Fire Police unit to assist with crowd control at fire scenes. Many of the "rescue companies" in Westchester were or still are considered Fire Police units as well.

I loved that truck and am so glad to see it's still in mint condition. For the 30 years it served us, the men and women of that company really took care of it and it still shows today.

Do any of you know or remember what warning lights were on the rear? I know the Whelen bar was added later in life.

Do any of you know or remember what warning lights were on the rear? I know the Whelen bar was added later in life.

I grew up in that rig. My Father, Grandfather, and Uncle were members of Fire Patrol. If I recall correctly, the rear had lights similar to what is on the front of the rig, just above the directionals in the following pre-renovation picture from CrotonOnHudson-NY.gov

post-27-0-64621800-1312140803.jpg

sfrd18 likes this

wow thats in nice shape after all the years she,s ben gone,

My friend bought this a couple of months ago. Now in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania.

If you could ask your friend where or who he bought this from it would be appreciated. I had heard rumors that it was in a Fire Museum in Delaware. How true that was I don't know.

He bought it from a gentleman in Virginia where it was privatley owned.

Amazing shape!

Must have been great riding to J O B S in the back of that one!

Amazing shape!

Must have been great riding to J O B S in the back of that one!

Yeah right. If you were riding on the bench seats, every bump you would almost hit the ceiling.

When the rig was orignally bought they designed it as a secondary ambulance transport. It had a stretcher "catch" attached to the drivers side rear bench. If I recall correctly the rig could transport five patients simultaneously, (one on a stretcher attached to the drivers side rear bench seat, one on each bench seat, and get this, two stokes baskets attached to points on or near the ceiling above the bench seats). Oxygen was also prepiped to the rear compartment.

I love that the labels for the old radios are still in there! That's cool.

I only got to ride that a couple of times as an Explorer, as a few months after I joined is when it was retired. I remember being a kid and going with my Dad to see it being refurbed.

So glad it's still out there and looks so awesome!

DSC03934.jpg

DSC03947.jpg

DSC03936.jpg

DSC03923.jpg

what info do you want email captr18@aol.com she is an ex captain her father is ex chief and grandfather was ex captain of Croton Fire Patrol