Welcome to EMTBravo.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to EMTBravo.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of EMTBravo.com by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

(On Order) FDNY Pumpers

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   peterose313

peterose313
  • Members
  • 890 posts
  • Joined 31-October 10

• Sector:Unspecified
  • Role: Unspecified

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

City/Town/Municipality/Dept: FDNY
Unit designation/identifier: Engines
Chassis & Body (or Aerial) Manufacturer and model: KME Severe Service chassis with a stainless steel split tilt cab

Pump size, tank size (water/foam), aerial type & length: 2000gpm
Estimated delivery date: TBD
Notes: Contract was awarded to KME from a 2012 bid and runs through November 2015.

http://www.kovatch.c...mper_Order.aspx

Edited by peterose313, 13 January 2013 - 11:25 PM.

#2 OFFLINE   EmsFirePolice

EmsFirePolice
  • Members
  • 327 posts
  • Joined 18-February 12

• Sector:Fire
  • Role: Student

Donator

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Interesting that they changed to KME. I guess these are going to be "regular" engines, right?
Never Forgot 9/11 (343)

#3 OFFLINE   tbendick

tbendick
  • Members
  • 670 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Don't think any of these are high pressure, unless something has changed. High pressure contract went to seagrave and should start to arrive next month.

#4 OFFLINE   IzzyEng4

IzzyEng4
  • Banned
  • 3,805 posts
  • Joined 05-August 05

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

If I remember correctly with the last specification order of new standard pumpers, they were all to have 2000 gpm pumps on them.  I know it was stated in a past FAJ issue.  I'll see if I can find what issue I read it in.

Joseph J. "Izzy" Navin II - Mashantucket Pequot Fire Department - IAFF Local 4746 & Charters Hose Company No. 4 - Ansonia, CT Fire Department - Renegade Knights Firefigher MC - "REMEMBER WHERE YOU CAME FROM ALWAYS!!!"

#5 OFFLINE   M' Ave

M' Ave
  • Investors
  • 886 posts
  • Joined 07-June 07
Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

If I remember correctly with the last specification order of new standard pumpers, they were all to have 2000 gpm pumps on them.  I know it was stated in a past FAJ issue.  I'll see if I can find what issue I read it in.

We are in the process of converting the whole fleet to 2000gpm pumps, but not high pressure. The high pressure pumps have a third stage and as was stated, are being built by Seagrave.
Forever Dedicated Never Yielding

There is only 1 Job.

#6 OFFLINE   M' Ave

M' Ave
  • Investors
  • 886 posts
  • Joined 07-June 07
Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Interesting that they changed to KME. I guess these are going to be "regular" engines, right?

It's not so much that we "changed" to anyone. Simple dollars, low bid wins and by all accounts KME was the low bid by a lot. Lucky us.......

There is only 1 Job.

#7 OFFLINE   EmsFirePolice

EmsFirePolice
  • Members
  • 327 posts
  • Joined 18-February 12

• Sector:Fire
  • Role: Student

Donator

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

It's not so much that we "changed" to anyone. Simple dollars, low bid wins and by all accounts KME was the low bid by a lot. Lucky us.......

Ok. Thanks for the clarifacation.

Never Forgot 9/11 (343)

#8 OFFLINE   goon16

goon16
  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • Joined 31-March 05

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

More s*** for us to ride in just like our ferrera ladders
R.I.P Sammy Oitice FDNY 4 Truck 9-11-01

FDNY Hockey

#9 OFFLINE   x635

x635

EMTBravo Founder

• Chief Of Ops
  • 11,177 posts
  • Joined 15-November 03
  • Name: Seth Granville

• Sector:EMS
  • Role: Paramedic

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

I'd give KME a chance, and keep an open mind. They are used in numerous major cities from coast to coast, and have many repeat customers. The apparatus they produce are highly customized. They are not the same KME of several years ago, they've come a long way from what they were. Building for so many different customers coast to coast has given them a lot of engineering experience, and added to their research and development aresenal. It also allows them to have the capability and experience to accomodate such a large order.

Just because it's not a Seagrave doesn't mean that it's crap. Seagrave had their problems, in fact numerous problems, as well with the FDNY pproducts they produced. I think that it's a money-loser for Seagrave, and they want to be better off with smaller departments who want a high quality, legendary rig, or smaller contracts with unique rigs that are exclusive to them, like the Aerialscopes. 

I hope these rigs, any rigs in fact, work well with the FDNY members and give them what they want and need to perform the jobs they do in some of the most brutal conditions for apparatus in the world.

#10 OFFLINE   M' Ave

M' Ave
  • Investors
  • 886 posts
  • Joined 07-June 07
Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

I agree completely that the builder really doesn't matter, but the Seagraves prior to 2006-07 were really nice and simple. The run like champs, pump like crazy and start every time. They're nice and compact, all business.

We'll see what this builder has in store for us....

There is only 1 Job.

#11 OFFLINE   IzzyEng4

IzzyEng4
  • Banned
  • 3,805 posts
  • Joined 05-August 05

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

M'Ave, I'm sure the FDNY apparatus guys and gals will keep an eye on the building process since KME is a new vendor for the city.  Hopefully the quality will be there and they won't cause too many problems for the shops and the companies that operate them.

Boston is running a few KME pumpers now as well as a few other major MA cities.  I know Boston released specifications for a KME aerial recently.  But like any other manufacturer, either you'll love them or hate them.

Good luck with them and keep us up to date with the progress.

Joseph J. "Izzy" Navin II - Mashantucket Pequot Fire Department - IAFF Local 4746 & Charters Hose Company No. 4 - Ansonia, CT Fire Department - Renegade Knights Firefigher MC - "REMEMBER WHERE YOU CAME FROM ALWAYS!!!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 117 user(s)