Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cas2383

Tillered Rescue!

25 posts in this topic

INSANE, Nice Rig but maybe......Overkill

Edited by ONLOCATION

WOW, thats awsome!

Thats a nice rig. but why not just make one big rig, why get a tiller although it seems pretty kewl.

Thats a nice rig. but why not just make one big rig, why get a tiller although it seems pretty kewl.

For the same reasons a Dept. gets a tillered Ladder over a standard 100' straight body. Manueverabilty, space, increased weight allowance, etc.

I guess I never thought about a rescue in the same configuration as a tiller; come to think of it, you could use those trucks as hazmat or mobile command centers. But now that i've seen it, IT LOOKS AWESOME

Nice looking rig but what on earth is the point. A tillered rescue??? All they need is two medium Resuces to fulfill its role and these rescues would be cheaper to maintain, easier to operate, easier to get around the city and more practical.

Id love to go for a ride, regardless of how practical or not that thing really is!

IT'S CALIFORNIA!!!!!

YOU EXPECTED SOMETHING NORMAL AND MAIN STREAM?

I HEAR LAFD IS SPEC'N OUT A SUBMARINE FOR HARBOR PATROL.

Its easy for everyone to say that its too big or impractical....

BUT

Without hearing the reasoning behind it from those who designed it and ordered I would venture to say we don't know whether or not it's impractical OR VERY practical.

As for "getting around" if you've never ridden on a tiller or followed one through traffic you wouldn't know, but a tiller can go just about anywhere a standard length pumper can.

Why to you think NYC has tillers in Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn. A tiller will go places that a tandem axle rescue or rear mount ladder wont.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I vaguely remember the first time this pic made the rounds. If memory serves, this is an USAR team rig. More specificly The Orange County Task Force 5 USAR Team (FEMA).

Edited by TRUCK6018

That rig is about three years old. Was in Firehouse Road Warriors two / three years back.

It is deemed squad 6 city of orange ca. Not sure if its part of any task force, judging by the size of it it probably is though.

Is there such a thing as a Tillered Tower Ladder? Maybe some kind of mid-mount with the bucket resting right infront of the tiller man...

Is there such a thing as a Tillered Tower Ladder? Maybe some kind of mid-mount with the bucket resting right infront of the tiller man...

There was a point in time when I believe that the Sutphen Corporation was offering a tillered tower. Essentially, the bucket would turn 90 degrees forward and become the tillermans protective compartment while he was operating the rear axle while traveling to and from jobs.

I'll try to find some photos....

NOW, all we need is a tillered pumper!

THERE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...almsot... :P ...ok so it doesnt have a tiller man but we have to give the huge super pumpers of the FDNY some kind of credit. They are almost tillers.

Yah Sutphen had built the tillered TL, but it never flew. Main reason was that the bucket doubled as tiller mans' cab. When you wrre using the bucket, the roof would raise up to about 6 feet from the platform. Really wasn't pratical to use up against buildings or trying to move the bucket around with the added height. If they don;t possess it I think it was scrapped.

MFC If I remember right, it didn't tile 90 degrees but moved forward / back towards the steering wheel in the back (retracting)

I also remember too that Sutphen made a pumper with a Mack motor and tranny and it had all Mack embelems on it but mack told them to take it off. I think this was done because they were trying to start a partnership and bring back Mack. Mack told them to remove all the badges off of it sinceit wasn;t built by them. Some department in PA I think bought the pumper.

Edited by IzzyEng4

THERE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...almsot... :P ...ok so it doesnt have a tiller man but we have to give the huge super pumpers of the FDNY some kind of credit.  They are almost tillers.

Actually the Super Tender had a rear driver's position to help steer the trailer while backing the unit up but later was taken out.

I also remember too that Sutphen made a pumper with a Mack motor and tranny and it had all Mack embelems on it but mack told them to take it off.  I think this was done because they were trying to start a partnership and bring back Mack.  Mack told them to remove all the badges off of it sinceit wasn;t built by them.  Some department in PA I think bought the pumper.

It's very funny that you bring that up.... I know exactly where that pumper is in PA. It's with Heidlersburg VFD in Adams County (Company #25)... The ex-chief of that department is restoring my 1957 B-Model Mack that I bought from the department I was in during college (Gettysburg... Adams County Company #1)... He also did some cleanup work (mini resto) on Millwood's 1924 ALF Brockway Torpedo during my sophomore year... The current Millwood Car 2253 and myself rented a Penske 24 foot box truck and brought it down in a snow storm...

ANYWAY yes the Mack issue is true, it went to court, all the badges were removed and it's either recently been put in service at Company 25 or will be soon. Company 25 also has an R model tanker (Tanker 25) and a CF600 Mack (Engine 25-1)

I wondered where it went too! It was a good looking rig but weird with the Mack logos on it.