Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rfdu39

Coyote in Central Park

21 posts in this topic

A coyote was captured today in Central Park. The animal was first sighted yesterday. It appears that the coyote came from Westchester. It will be realsed into the wild. (So far there have been no road runner sightings LOL).

Edited by pcfdrfd700

NYPD ESU darted the animal then turned it over to the NYC Parks Department for relocation in upstate New York

He was looking for the Acme Company World Headquarters to complain about thier products

More and more of these every year. I saw one on the Cross County Pkwy right by the MVHS foot bridge last year.

post-839-1143075875.jpg

spotted !!!! :)

post-839-1143075886.jpg

sharpshooters in position!! :)

post-839-1143075902.jpg

caught!!! :)

credit :WABC TV photos

Edited by hoss

post-839-1143076140.jpg

a fine lookin' specimen!! :)

post-839-1143076554.jpg

Yeah, how'bout that phone call ?? And what are you guys lookin' at??? :)

credit: WABC TV photos

Edited by hoss

And I thought the city was going to the dogs!!! I have seen a couple here and there. even saw a fox near the thruway just north of Stew Leonards

In a way it is a little scary because you would not want it to start attacking people, However now that they caught it Im sure it is in good hands. Watch tomorrow there will probably be a road runner running through central park zoo looking for the coyote :)

wow well at least no one got hurt, and the little guy is not dead, and he"ll be let free.

How could it possibly get from westchester (where they think it came from) to the cebter of manhattan Island? The only thing i thought was some one shot it with a darp and drop it down there as like a stupid prank.

There have been coyote,turkey,and deer routinley seen in van cortlandt park as well as tibbets park

It very easily could have come along one of the rivers and crossed on a bridge in the middle of the night. Doubt it was a prank. You even find the occasional deer or turkey in Manhattan sometimes.

Wily coyote caught in New York's Central Park

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:36 PM ET

REUTERS

By Ellen Freilich

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A coyote that came to New York to dine on duck in Central Park was caught on Wednesday after leading police and park rangers on a two-day chase.

The coyote, a year-old, tawny-colored male, which is thought to have made its way to the city from the countryside to the north, was tracked down near 79th Street inside the 843-acre (341-hectare) park, officials said.

"He's a very adventurous coyote to travel to midtown Manhattan," Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe told reporters.

He said the animal was cornered in the southeast section of the park early on Wednesday before escaping over an 8-foot fence and crossing some water to make its way north.

"This is the wildest of the wild animals we've seen here," Benepe said, noting that the last time a coyote was captured in the park was in 1999.

Local television stations showed footage of police and park rangers running through the park in pursuit of the animal, which has been hunting ducks and other birds, leaving piles of feathers in its wake.

"Our thought is that it came in from Westchester County and then came south through the Bronx before getting to the park," parks spokeswoman Carli Smith said. "They're not a threat," Smith said. "They typically avoid human interaction."

The animal was first spotted on Sunday and was seen again on Tuesday, when emergency services and park authorities launched a full-scale search. It was spotted on a baseball field near a nature sanctuary on Wednesday.

Benepe said the coyote was being kept in a cage while it recovers from the tranquilizer darts used to capture it, and it was expected to be taken back to the country.

The landscaped park at the heart of Manhattan includes reservoirs, a zoo and wilderness areas, offering plenty of cover for a coyote.

i dont belive that it was a prank the way westchester is expanding in housing. In order to build a house you need woods and that is where the animal live and they are get push out more and more each year the are gonna pop up in place like the city becauyse they have no weres to live and they need the food.

Coincedently, I spotted a coyote in my back yard two days ago. I talked to my friend who volunteers at the Wolf Conservancy up here. I asked if this was any kind of threat to my kids. She said they are not a threat to humans. You just have to make noise and flap your arms and they will run away.

But they will eat small pets like cats or small dogs. We found a rabbit's tail and paw in our front yard this past week. Someone had clearly snacked on the rabbit. The joke between the kids and me was "that rabbit's foot wasn't very lucky for the rabbit"

Edited by breezly

post-839-1143123512.jpg

post-839-1143123520.jpg

credit: Newsday Photos

post-839-1143123600.jpg

credit: Robert Stolarik for NYT

No kidding, but will pepper spray work on a coyote should there be an unavoidable confrontation???

A fox was photographed in a wooded Yonkers area between McIntyre Street and Parkview Avenue recently.

Wild turkeys seen on the Sprain Pkwy near Central Avenue and on the Hutch in Scarsdale.

Hal, RIP. :( Maybe you grew up in CP, missed it, the stress, who knows....

Hal, the Central Park Coyote, Dies

By MICHAEL VIRTANEN, Associated Press Writer

34 minutes ago

Hal, the coyote who paid a visit to New York City and was captured as he loped around Central Park, died as he was being tagged for release in the wild, a state official said Friday.

The coyote stopped breathing Thursday night during the routine tagging procedure and biologists could not revive him, said Gabrielle DeMarco, spokeswoman for the state Department of Environmental Conservation.

Pathologists were trying to determine whether the stress of his capture or captivity or something else contributed to the death of the year-old, 35-pound coyote.

The coyote, nicknamed Hal by park workers, led dozens of police officers on foot and in a helicopter on a wild chase through the urban greenery March 21 and 22. He jumped into the water, ducked under a bridge and leaped over an 8-foot fence.

Hal was finally caught when a police officer shot the animal with a tranquilizer dart.

Officials had taken Hal from a wildlife rehabilitation expert in Long Island on Thursday and had planned to release him in a state forest in upstate New York.

How Hal reached Central Park is a mystery. He may have wandered into the city from the suburbs, or perhaps crossed the Hudson River from New Jersey by way of a bridge or a passing truck.