Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Toronto Firefighters Photos TRAPPED

14 posts in this topic

Photos of Toronto Firefighters Trapped on the 2nd floor of House.

http://www.torontofirepics.com/022606/

WOW!

Lucky guys. I would assume fire came up open, unenclosed interior stairs.

We should learn one thing. When guys become trapped and you want to prevent room from "lighting up" and endangering guys, get a 2 1/2" line with a straight stream going into that window. That pathetic fog stream is all but useless, unless they were worried about hitting someone in the face with it. In which case they could reposition to avoid that.

I am extremely glad these guys were not killed and all seems to have ended with some minor injuries.

However, there are better alternatives, that's all.

Photos of Toronto Firefighters Trapped on the 2nd floor of House.

http://www.torontofirepics.com/022606/

Are those pictuers early into the alarm? Where was the truck comp or 2nd truck and the Fast team? Why wasn't that landing(window) laddered. If you have guys on the second floor you should always have a 2nd means of escape. Wasn't there, so I do not want to play Monday morning quarterback. Just going by what I see. Glad to see all got out safe.

maybe canada has different SOPs?

All should look at these photo's I would say this is a 1-2 min time frame for all those who had never been above a fire take a good look and remember how fast things can go bad. 2nd means of escape, 1st hoseline to seat of fire or protecting the interor stairs

All should look at these photo's I would say this is a 1-2 min time frame for all those who had never been above a fire take a good look and remember how fast things can go bad. 2nd means of escape, 1st hoseline to seat of fire or protecting the interor stairs

interesting to see that during that whole time there was no manpower to put a line into the front door at all

I'm new to the FD so I'm still learning everything, but I would assume you would want to have people covering the massive fire on the ground floor, especially if you have men upstairs.

Then again perhaps they just got overpowered and had to head upwards to saftey, without details it's hard to figure out what happened.

As dramatic photos as I've seen in a while!

To the "where was this?...Where was that? group"......

Crap happens...you can assume all day long but unless it was you in that window, you may never know.

Lucky guys for sure.

If you get one thing out of Firefighter 1 or an equivalent is that you always leave yourself another way out. They should have had that ladder already up there if the windows were their secondary means of egress.

Edited by kfd-exchief

Amazing pictures. Goes to show how fast conditions can deteroriate and the importance of survival training. I am glad they made it out.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

Your absolutely right Chief, this set of pictures shows not only the importance of having FF. Surival Training, but also the importance of having a hand tool with you at all times! What I can't understand is, from looking at these stills, none of the 5 guys in the window appear to have a tool with them and if they did why weren't those casement windows removed, enlarging their escape route? Also, where the hell was the handline extiguishing the heavy fire on the 1'st fl.? Apparently, not going thru the front door like it should've been. This tactic alone would have probably eliminated this MAHEM. I know we shouldn't be Monday morning QBS., but Toronto is not some small Dept., it's a fairly large Career Dept. and by viewing these pics, they seem to have had plenty of guys around assisting in throwing up that 24' extension, which should take no more than 2 FFs. And if lighter roof ladders are close buy and available even better. Anyway, it's great to see they all got out alive, but there's definitely alot to be learned from these photos. Stay Safe Guys. :blink:

After reading my earlier post it seems to me I am being critical and do not mean to be at all I am very glad that those firefighters got out alive. I just misunderstood what this topic was about. This just goes to show you how easily things can deteriorate and how really dangerous all of our jobs are wether they are paid or volunteer. To everyone be safe out there.

A lot can be learned from other peoples mistakes or successes. If people are trying to learn, it's not monday morning quarterbacking. Anyone who has critiqued their own fires should know this. If you want to insult their ability or SOPs then you can leave that post at home. I personally think some good points were raised that we should consider with the point made that we weren't there.

- A 2 1/2 in the front door "might" have taken a lot of heat off of them.

- How many men to put up a ladder?

- A straight stream into the window to cool the cieling.

- How about the time lost trying to hand them an 1 3/4 instead of a ladder?

-Or even using that same 1 3/4 in the front door?

-How about the fact that 2-3 companies were used in this instead of suppression?

That being said, I am happy for the outcome but I would really like to know what the Toronto critique came up with. Bewteen that and the photos, that could be a really great powerpoint presentation. Anyone from up North on the site?