Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mutual Aid and NFPA1710

12 posts in this topic

Just wondering, are Departments in Westchester allowed to set their own Mutual Aid Policies with regards to which juristiction they want to respond in to cover their City or is this entirely left up to 60 Control? I recently heard a rumor that Yonkers FD, only wants Depts. who can provide apparatus with 4 men on them to respond to their Stations on MutualAid Standby. Don't know how true it is, but it does make alot of sense if it is, being that if your Dept. has a minimum staffing level for its apparatus, to provide adequate Fire Protection for their citizens, its only right for them to want and expect the same amount of Staffing on the responding MutualAid Companies to provide similar backup Fire Protection. What do you think? Do Depts. that comply with NFPA1710, have the right to set this same Standard with regards to the MutualAid Agreement. <_<

I agree with their expectations and with your reply. As a Chief or IC I would want whatever piece covering to have a full crew in case there is a change in assignments.

How many times have we gone to cover another station and got moved up to the scene while enroute ?

Yonkers might be the only city in Westchester that rides with 4 men on a rig. Are there any other Career departments that ride with 4 in their own responese areas? While I agree you want an engine or truck with the manpower to do the job, its ironic that they can't ride with 4 men in their own response area.

<_<

Yes Yonkers does expect dept's to show up with what they show up with. Also yonkers is the only Dept. that is complying with 1710 all the rest are rolling the dice like they alsways do.

its only a matter of time before the worst happens here in westchester,i hope i am wrong and i pray that i am wrong but the odds are against us!!! the next day after the worst happens it will be old news and things will not change!!! bottom line is to try to be as safe as possible and make it home at the end of the shift or emergency!

:angry:

Yes Yonkers does expect dept's to show up with what they show up with. Also yonkers is the only Dept. that is complying with 1710 all the rest are rolling the dice like they alsways do.

And isn't it amazing how they always walk away a WINNER! :rolleyes:

Are there any other Career departments that ride with 4 in their own responese areas?

In Greenville both E150 & L4 have 3 FF's plus the duty captain so there is usually 1 rig with 4 men and 1 with 3 men. Also st times both have 4 men when the training officer is on duty. When Greenville goes on mutual aid (usually with E151) there are 3 FF's and a Capt. assigned.

Also, off the top of my head I believe Hartsdale E170, New Rochelle E25 each have 4 men.

In Greenville both E150 & L4 have 3 FF's plus the duty captain so there is usually 1 rig with 4 men and 1 with 3 men. Also st times both have 4 men when the training officer is on duty.  When Greenville goes on mutual aid (usually with E151) there are 3 FF's and a Capt. assigned.

Also, off the top of my head I believe Hartsdale E170, New Rochelle E25 each have 4 men.

If Eng.151 responds on MutualAid, are those 4 FF.s then replaced with another 4?

If I'm not mistaken, and I'm not looking to challenge anyone here, NFPA 1710 doesn't necessarily state that there has to be 4 men on a rig, only first responding, but leans more towards having 15 - 17 men showing up at an incident within 8 minutes. It also allows for mutual aid to satisfy this standard to get as many men on scene as quickly as possible. As far as other departments here in Westchester, I'm sure someone from each department can better clarify what is done to meet this standard.

My questions for anyone from Greenville, Fairview and Hartsdale, is do you three dept's work together to meet this being you're all in the same union? and what are your staffing levels? Just curious.

Thanks.

My questions for anyone from Greenville, Fairview and Hartsdale, is do you three dept's work together to meet this being you're all in the same union? and what are your staffing levels? Just Curious

When E151 or L4 respond on mutual aid a callback of a Capt. and 3 firefighters is made.

at full staffin Hartsdale E-170 has 4 FF's and E-169 will have 3 FF's

When E151 or L4 respond on mutual aid a callback of a Capt. and 3 firefighters is made.

If E151 and/or L4 respond on M/A, how many FF.s are left behind to man the other apparatus and what stays in service or goes O.O.S. as a result? Also, what's the average time span it takes to get these 3ff.s and a Capt. to report to Quarters?