Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Few Sign Up For Dutchess Fire Test

13 posts in this topic

From today's PK Journal......

Applications low for exam that is qualifier for fire jobs

An unusually low number of people have applied to take an upcoming civil service examination to qualify for career firefighter positions in Dutchess County.

The exam is usually only given once every three years. In 1999, 314 people took the test and in 2003 another 302 took it, but so far this year there have been only 55 applicants, said Elena Hanlon of Dutchess County's Personnel Department.

The deadline for applications is Friday.

Having a wider pool of applicants could benefit both fire departments and potential firefighters, Hanlon said.

Dutchess County has one agency comprised entirely of career, or paid, firefighters — the City of Poughkeepsie Fire Department. Six other departments are known as combinations, employing both career and volunteer firefighters in the City of Beacon, Pleasant Valley, and the Fairview, Arlington, LaGrange and New Hackensack fire districts.

Because there are far fewer applicants, people who sign up this year may have a better chance of getting a job when vacancies open up.

Departments that have vacancies are given a list of people who have taken the civil service exam and contact them based on "residence preference" (how close they live to the fire district), their score on the written exam and their score on an agility test, Hanlon said.

The minimum qualifications are a high school diploma or GED by Sept. 1. Applicants must also be 18 years old and have a valid driver's license at the time of appointment, but high school seniors who are considering a career as a firefighter can apply and take the test when they're 17 years old.

There is a $25 examination processing fee that must be included with the application.

Visit www.co.dutchess.ny.us/ to download applications from the county's Web site. Applications must be postmarked by Friday. For more information, call the Dutchess County Personnel Department at 845-486-2169.

Edited by Ole129K

Good question 92....Hell, if theres only 55 signed up so far, i'd even consider taking the exam! In no way do i have residency, but with that low of a number of applicants, at least i may be able to get on the list.

Good luck to anyone who did apply, sounds like this may be a good exam to take!

Booo! By putting this out, it increases the possibility of others signing up!! :lol::D:P

Hehe, I was hoping no one else would know, so I would have a better chance to get hired off this list, since I didn't the last time round.

Sorry there kid...I signed up on Wednesday and since the article either a total or an additional 60-70 people handed in applications. The word got out

Hahaha, I am not too worried about it. I had figured most guys (and gals) would get theirs in if they really wanted it that badly. I just hope I do as well as I did last time, if not better this time!

I went yesturday morning to hand mine and the nice lady working in the office stated between weds and thursday they had recieved alot of apps. but it was still far less then the 300 they were hoping for.

For guys looking to get on the job my only advice is to take EVERY TEST you hear of, this one is no exception, even take ones that are known for hiring residencies. I am not going to pat myself on the shoulder but before i got hired i took:

White plains FD,

Port Authority PD,

Norwalk FD,

Stratford FD,

Stanford FD,

Wetchester t&V FD & PD

FDNY

NYPD

FDMV

and I'm sure there are some I left out.

Taking these tests only benefitted me, especially when i was getting canvassed from multiple depts. I have a few friends who only want to be in FDNY, and refuse to take any other test, well you know what I say to them keep waiting... And never EVER turn down a job becuase you think you won't get hired, won't "make" it, or are waiting for a busier dept. Thats just insanity, anyway sorry to rant and BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!

So where did u end up going?

Ok went to a prep class offered by DCC and the new rumor hitting the street is that 400 applications were recieved for this test. This was mentioned by two very reliable sources. I guess that's nothing comparred to 55....

Are the paid dutchess departments paid drivers or full time firefighters?

There is no such thing as a paid driver. These are full time, career FF positions.

even if it is a "paid driver" WHO CARES!!!! you'd have the best job in the world, driveing a fire engine or truck around all day. in my opinion "Freaken awesome"