Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DOC22

More Problems with Nextel

33 posts in this topic

Anybody else on here try to use Nextel Direct Connect in The Croton Falls Area? All ya get is "Service Restricted" This has been on-going sporadically since early June. But for the las two weeks it is a continuous situation. With all the users in that area, including FD, PD, VAAC, even SP, it's a real problem! Damn things!

Anybody else on here try to use Nextel Direct Connect in The Croton Falls Area? All ya get is "Service Restricted" This has been on-going sporadically since early June. But for the las two weeks it is a continuous situation. With all the users in that area, including FD, PD, VAAC, even SP, it's a real problem! Damn things!

After repeated calls to Nextel, it seems like NOTHING is getting done about it.

Edited by DOC22

Pleasantville area. Same issue. Comes and goes now for 2 weeks.

Tarrytown area same thing.

Larchmont: Terrible service.....for months now

Hopefully relief soon with the first dual network phone for Sprint/Nextel due in October.

I was told by someone in communications nextel will have a lot of problems until they transfer over all their radio signals, they were forced to change by the FCC claiming interference with emergency band signals.... Could be the reason why or could just be the towers in the area acting up.

A side note, if you log into mynextel.com you can report service outtages or problems. I have done this numerous times and have even been contacted by them occasionally. The more complaints they recieve for an area the more likely they are to respond to fix the situation no?

Edited by cas2383

I was told by someone in communications nextel will have a lot of problems until they transfer over all their radio signals, they were forced to change by the FCC claiming interference with emergency band signals....  Could be the reason why or could just be the towers in the area acting up. 

A side note, if you log into mynextel.com you can report service outtages or problems.  I have done this numerous times and have even been contacted by them occasionally.  The more complaints they recieve for an area the more likely they are to respond to fix the situation no?

I'm not sure of the details, but i heard that when they went to Sprint, they lowered their wattage by 50%??, something about fees being less with lower wattage. I have been getting alot of people not reachable and from time to time when you go in and out of service it comes back restricted??, that is in Dutchess Cty, and with Nationwide Direct Connect??

I'm not sure of the details, but i heard that when they went to Sprint, they lowered their wattage by 50%??, something about fees being less with lower wattage. I have been getting alot of people not reachable and from time to time when you go in and out of service it comes back restricted??, that is in Dutchess Cty, and with Nationwide Direct Connect??

The FCC didnt demand that Nextel move their frequencies, it was Nextel being a good corporate company who ponyed up the $$$$ and the plan to move, so emergency service providers using 800mhz spectrum dont have interference problems.

As for the constant outages, one should see that emergency services shouldnt rely on any cellular carrier for emergency communications. That is why we all have made significant investment into buying new radio equipment.

The FCC didnt demand that Nextel move their frequencies, it was Nextel being a good corporate company who ponyed up the $$$$ and the plan to move, so emergency service providers using 800mhz spectrum dont have interference problems.

As for the constant outages, one should see that emergency services shouldnt rely on any cellular carrier for emergency communications.  That is why we all have made significant investment into buying new radio equipment.

I'm not saying anybody uses this for primary communications! We do still use it a lot for communications when it becomes necessary. I don't think there is anybody who uses it the way you mentioned!

Three more months then my contarct is up, VERIZON HERE I COME

Three more months then my contarct is up, VERIZON HERE I COME

Nextel troubles here in Valhalla, more so after the tornado. Other than that, it has since straightened itself out. Pleasantville was always a problem for me with cell service. Not only with Nextel/Sprint but other carriers as well. Was never able to get service there.

F Nextel. I am getting out SOON! Too much money for subpar service.

Croton area is awful, but the Village is looking into a tower for Nextel soon. I would stay with it but it seems like no matter where I got it stinks.

A side note, if you log into mynextel.com you can report service outtages or problems.  I have done this numerous times and have even been contacted by them occasionally.  The more complaints they recieve for an area the more likely they are to respond to fix the situation no?

Back when I had Nextel, I used to do this; and quite frankly, they don't give a damn. They give you the normal BS "Oh yes, Mr. So-and-so, we're aware of the problem and we are fixing it as fast as we can." (Sounds to me like this is where Con-Ed got it's people from, but that's another story.) Their network has been a bit sketchy for years and they didn't do the proper traffic analysis studies for either one of the networks when they merged with Sprint. In the end, of course, they found out that there are too many people on the combined network for it to work efficiently. You would think with all the money they Federal Government paid Nextel so that it could buy the iDen network from them, Sprint together with S**tel would be able to provide better service, or at least make it comparable to some of the less popular cell providers like Cingular.

All I know is that I made the switch back to Verizon and I haven't had one problem since. No dropped calls, no "network interface issues," no late text messages, and a phone that actually works when I turn it on.

F Nextel. I am getting out SOON! Too much money for subpar service

BIG FAT DITTO!

Edited by Ole129K

direct connect in the Pville area along with blackberry service has been bad since the tornado.

i've had nextel since the late 90's and it's not much better now than it was then. it's as if amtrak ran a radio/cellphone network. but i think we're just being nitpicky, selfish & overexpectant because it really is much more important they reinvest their money into sponsoring nascar because it serves the common good more when the public knows what's going on with tony stewart & jeff gordon than they are able to communicate over the ridiculously over-priced system we pay an obscene amount of money considering what we get. thanks for nothing nextel!

Wolf,

It wasn't the Sprint merger, it was Boost Mobile. They didn't expect the pre-paid to take off the way it did. That is what is overwhelming the network.

Doc,

As for getting "service restricted" try just turning off your phone and turning it back on a minute later. It works for me most of the time. The phone just needs to recycle for some reason.

Wolf,

It wasn't the Sprint merger, it was Boost Mobile.  They didn't expect the pre-paid to take off the way it did.  That is what is overwhelming the network. 

Doc,

As for getting "service restricted"  try just turning off your phone and turning it back on a minute later.  It works for me most of the time.  The phone just needs to recycle for some reason.

Cam,

I've done that several times, even done master reset and a few other things their tech support had me try. A couple of them had me do the #*menurightarrow thing and read the reglog to them in CF it says reject, indicating a network fault. They just seem to be tajking their sweet time getting it rectified. At least a call back once in a while would be nice. This way it makes it look like they don't give a damn.

Cam,

I've done that several times, even done master reset and a few other things their tech support had me try. A couple of them had me do the #*menurightarrow thing and read the reglog to them in CF it says reject, indicating a network fault. They just seem to be tajking their sweet time getting it rectified. At least a call back once in a while would be nice. This way it makes it look like they don't give a damn.

My Nextel was Dept. issued. Another plus to retiring, I gave IT back. Back to my reliable Verizon cell phone.

Sorry DOC it was worth a shot.

nextel no good.

service has gone down hill.

also many of those w/ the govt discount on thier bill noticed they no longer had it.....that was my breaking point.

verizon so far excellent in the hartsdale/greenburgh area.

It's amazing how ten years ago we managed without cell phones and pagers and nextels. Now we are totally dependant on them. IT'S A CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!

South end of White Plains and the North End of New Rochelle suffer too with no service. Some parts of the Bronx as well. Up by me, the 9W corridor btwn Bear Mountain and Cornwall is a dead zone.

Well, after Friday's call to Vinny Leibel's Office, at 0530 this morning, Son of a Gun! The Direct Connect started working in Croton Falls! Go figure!

FOR THE 14TH DAY...I STILL HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO MAKE A PHONE CALL WITH MY NEXTEL (OSSINING/MILLWOOD). I CALLED THEM 10 TIMES AND EVERY TIME THEY SAID THEY THOUGHT THE PROBLEM WAS FIXED. SEEMS LIKE THEY DONT EVEN KNOW HOW THEIR OWN SYSTEMS WORK.

Simply put-

Nextel works off an antiquated iDen network that Sprint, after the merger, decided no longer to add onto or fully support in anticipation of migrating Nextel customers over to their CDMA system. Sprint fired Nextel's engineering department and farmed out network/tower repair to contractors with little experience in fixing iDen systems. The only experienced contractor around is ESS out of Elmsford, who maintains ConEd's private iDen network, but at this point it's like pointing a gun at a tsunami to get it to stop. Sprint isn't going to make any meaningful effort to fix the issues, just patch holes until all Nextel subscribers move over to CDMA.

Nextel. (is really) Done.

Simply put-

Nextel works off an antiquated iDen network that Sprint, after the merger, decided no longer to add onto or fully support in anticipation of migrating Nextel customers over to their CDMA system.  Sprint fired Nextel's engineering department and farmed out network/tower repair to contractors with little experience in fixing iDen systems.  The only experienced contractor around is ESS out of Elmsford, who maintains ConEd's private iDen network, but at this point it's like pointing a gun at a tsunami to get it to stop.  Sprint isn't going to make any meaningful effort to fix the issues, just patch holes until all Nextel subscribers move over to CDMA.

Nextel. (is really) Done.

That might be ok IF Sprint and their CDMA system can integrate Direct Connect with it! But I'll believe that when I see it!

Edited by DOC22

And this is why I went out and got a Blackberry on Verizon's network-because Verizon WORKS.

And I know a couple of folks who just bought new, expensive Nextels.

Take them BACK.....DirectConnect ain't worth the hassle.

CDMA is a more robust technology than iDen. It'll support somthing very similar to Direct Connect (already does in some areas/certain providers). It's just that Spint is continuing to market Iden-only phones to cutomers knowing full well the service is getting spotty plus knowing they'll have to acquire new equipment fairly soon to make the move over to CDMA. There are other service providers with multi-band phones (CDMA and GSM, for example), and Nextel has had multiband phones for a while. My objection is that they are rooking some poor bastard into thinking his nice new toy is gonna keep on working, and even though they say "Here come the multi-mode phones!", the Iden half is still going to work like cr@p.

CDMA is a more robust technology than iDen.  It'll support somthing very similar to Direct Connect (already does in some areas/certain providers).  It's just that Spint is continuing to market Iden-only phones to cutomers knowing full well the service is getting spotty plus knowing they'll have to acquire new equipment fairly soon to make the move over to CDMA.  There are other service providers with multi-band phones (CDMA and GSM, for example), and Nextel has had multiband phones for a while.  My objection is that they are rooking some poor bastard into thinking his nice new toy is gonna keep on working, and even though they say "Here come the multi-mode phones!", the Iden half is still going to work like cr@p.

On a side note, I was talking with someone a couple weeks ago who lives in Pennsylvania, and has been a Sprint subscriber foe years. She tells me that where she is her Sprint phones worked great UNTIL the merger with Nextel---then her service went down the proverbial crapper. Getting to look like Verizon will soon be the best place to go!!!???