Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HFD750

World Trade Center The Movie

37 posts in this topic

How does everyone feel about this movie comming out? Me personally I think enough is enough already. Who wants to relive this again? Hasn't everyone gone through enough? I have no plans on seeing this "based on a true story" movie. If you want to see a movie about the trade center I would say buy the 9/11 video by those two brothers from france. Thats real... Not this B.S. they put in the movies...Also where doe's all the money from the movie go to? The familys of victims?

I have to say, even though I have very strong emotions about that day (as most of us obviously do), I have no problem with movies being made about the events. To me, it's no different than movies about the attack on Pearl Harbor. I do prefer it lean more towards the realism of the event rather than the sensationalism or fictionalization though. Of course, it is Hollywood, so it'll likely be a mixed bag. As far as the profits, it would certainly be nice to see a large percentage being given back to one or more victim's funds or charities.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of Nicholas Cage, so I'm a little put off by him staring in the movie. His whiny voice gets to me after about 5 minutes lol.

By the way, I would absolutely agree that the raw footage the Naudet brothers shot that day is and always will be by far the most compelling record of the events of that day.

Edited by res6cue

I really don't have much interest in seeing this movie. Probably because I along with many of us on this site, either lived through it or are reminded of it every day. However, this movie is based on the story written by the PA Cop who was caught in, and survived the collapse. I don't think anyone could call that story BS.

It's IMO, a wake up to those who may have forgotten. I did read somewhere in the past few days that a percentage of the box office is going to charities, such as the families of the victims and to the memorial fund.

Edited by JBE

Not really sure what to think of it...

i have a copy of the Borthers documentry on my computer. it really is well done and i it also has a storyline to it. by storyline i mean they are trying to find one another and it is THEIR story. it aint fake, there are no CGI effects, no blue screen. just real gritty reality. not this fake reality TV crap.

The moive looks like just another studio trying to make a buck.

I just don't plan on spending one dollar to see that movie...i'll wait for it to come out on cable or HBO or something-then maybe i'll watch it

I really don't have much interest in seeing this movie. Probably because I along with many of us on this site, either lived through it or are reminded of it every day. However, this movie is based on the story written by the PA Cop who was caught in, and survived the collapse. I don't think anyone could call that story BS.

It's IMO, a wake up to those who may have forgotten. I did read somewhere in the past few days that a percentage of the box office is going to charities, such as the families of the victims and to the memorial fund.

Read on the website for the movie that 4 NY-based charitable organizations will be receipients of donations from the release..10% of the ticket sales for the film's five day opening. Being shown in more than 2000 theaters in the U.S.

I can't say that i will see it.

JMO, I think that this is alittle off. It's still ( and always will be pretty raw for many. If the proceeds were going to 9/11 familys. . . . . .maybe. but still, the clips i've seen are just way to "holloywood", too commercial" I think there's gonna be a whoe lotta negative feedback on this one.

:huh:

NEVER FORGET

9 - 11 - 01

It's not a gratuitous movie, though. Yes, it was a tragedy; yes, it hit close to home; yes, we all knew someone, civilian or otherwise, who was there; but it was an historic day and the movie will serve as a way for us to remember. In my mind, it's more of a documentary than a dramatization.

It's not a gratuitous movie, though. Yes, it was a tragedy; yes, it hit close to home; yes, we all knew someone, civilian or otherwise, who was there; but it was an historic day and the movie will serve as a way for us to remember. In my mind, it's more of a documentary than a dramatization.

OK, i get the documentary part.. unfortunatetly, won"t truly knoWg the whole "story" till it's on street . . . . . JMO

not looking forward to it at all.

not looking forward to it at all.

I don't think I would want to see it. Although it's based on the PA cop's true story who cares what Oliver Stone's take is on it.

Well maybe the people that do see it wilol remember that day so I do hope alot of peolpe do go and see it.

NEVER FORGET 09-11-01

Sorry had to say that.

Chris

Well maybe the people that do see it wilol remember that day so I do hope alot of peolpe do go and see it.

NEVER FORGET 09-11-01

Sorry had to say that.

Chris

I Agree with you there Chris. A lot of people have forgotten. But like the rest of the posters here, we get to inundated with it sometimes.

I don't think that anybody who was down there that day,would need to go see the movie.One look at all that wreckage,and it was instantly etched in our mind's forever,and NO movie company could reproduce that,or any of the image's we saw those week's afterward's.They won't be getting my $10:00

I don't think that anybody who was down there that day,would need to go see the movie.One look at all that wreckage,and it was instantly etched in our mind's forever,and NO movie company could reproduce that,or any of the image's we saw those week's afterward's.They won't be getting my $10:00

I agree with you...I don't need to see a hollywood movie to remember 911. I will never forget that day or the weeks/months that followed. Just my 2 cents...

I will never see this movie......never. What do you think of the person who is cashing in on this one?

I will never see this movie......never.  What do you think of the person who is cashing in on this one?

Oliver Stone is directing it. That's enough to convince me to stay away, never mind Hollywood capitalizing on the story. :angry:

There has been many movies through the years that profited through others tragic loss. Pearl Harbor, Raid on Entebee, The Movies about Munich 1972. But i do not hear anyone saying that the families of these tradgadies should get any money from the movies. I never heard people say they would never go see these movies (which is your choice not to see them or see the WTC movie which i will not argue). But to say it is too soon or that it is not right make them is just wrong. It is unforutnite that in our time people do make money over diasters and other peoples loss. Many of use sat and watched Pearl Harbor movies or docudramas and such. But how many of us said it was wrong to make because of the lives lost. How many times did any of us say will the familes who lost someone get money from this movie, and to say it is too soon too show, well for the people who lost someone special or a loved one its always too soon for a movie like that. But it is part of AMercian Histroy now, and the story will be told sooner or later. But for those of us who lost someone it will always be too soon. It dosent matter if it was yesterday when it happend or if it was over 60 years ago. It still hurts, we all must understand that someone will profit from any incident that is worthy of being part of Amercain History or World Histroy. The person writing a history book will profit from it.

I'll never see this movie. Hollywood doesn't make movies to show history, they make movies to make money. If they waited thirty years or something before making this movie it'd be more respectful. Families still haven't healed from this tragedy. What's the next movie Hollywood is going to make? A movie about the war in Iraq? :angry:

This movie is the story of true AMERICAN HEROS!!!!!!!!!! And nothing less then that!!! Me I think everybody should see this movie!!!!!! But thats just my opinion!!!

This movie is the story of true AMERICAN HEROS!!!!!!!!!! And nothing less then that!!!  Me I think everybody should see this movie!!!!!!  But thats just my opinion!!!

No, this movie is a dramatization of something that doesn't need to be smattered all over the silver screen in the same decade as the actual events.

How is it fully a dramatization if the 2 individuals who are the lead characters in the movie are still alive, provided on-the-set guidance, and did so in order to give an inside look at their story? I would agree with you if it were something gratuitous and with no guidance, like the Flight 93 movie, but it stands to reason that since the 2 real people were involved in the making of the movie, then it can't be totally dramatized. Furthermore, we cannot make judgment calls on the movie if it isn't out yet and if we have no plans to see it, either. When I see it on Wednesday, I'll post here and tell you what I thought about it.

How is it fully a dramatization if the 2 individuals who are the lead characters in the movie are still alive, provided on-the-set guidance, and did so in order to give an inside look at their story? I would agree with you if it were something gratuitous and with no guidance, like the Flight 93 movie, but it stands to reason that since the 2 real people were involved in the making of the movie, then it can't be totally dramatized. Furthermore, we cannot make judgment calls on the movie if it isn't out yet and if we have no plans to see it, either. When I see it on Wednesday, I'll post here and tell you what I thought about it.

Good Post, Wolf!

This is definitely the best posted opinion I've seen in this thread!

Good Post, Wolf!

This is definitely the best posted opinion I've seen in this thread!

I have to agree with you too Wolf. I had planned not to see it because of Oliver Stone. Who can forget his spin on the JFK assassination. But last night on WCBS-TV news they had the PA cops as well as FDNY members at the premier. Now I'm undecided if I should see it or not. Tough call.

I agree with most people in saying I am not an Oliver Stone fan. I think it would be different if Steven Spielberg did the movie. I cannot think of two movies that were more compelling than Saving Private Ryan or Schindlers List. I would see a 9/11 movie by him but I would probably need therapy afterwords!!

IMO i think that the movie the 2 brothers from france made was the most in depth look at what happened that day. From the begining to the end is what their movie was on not on heresay......don't get me wrong how those 2 PA cops survived is awsome but the brothers movie had no specail effects or nothing so IMO i may see Im not sure.

. What's the next movie Hollywood is going to make? A movie about the war in Iraq?  :angry:

They did all ready cant remember the name it wa on FX last year.

I saw the movie Monday night. I went for free; apparently the studio gave out free tickets to the CT fire academy and I ended up with a pair.

I really enjoyed the movie. I thought it was very well done. It was well acted but never over-dramatized. It did a very good job telling the events that day and nothing more- essentially no preaching, subjective opinions, etc.

[spoiler warning] The only problem I had with the movie is the scene depicting the marine finding the PAPD cops. My understanding is that due to structural collapse concerns there were multiple times rescuers were pulled off the pile. The movie implies that no searching went on during the first night at all.

Overall a great, very well done movie. I think that all parties depicted- PAPD, FDNY, NYPD, etc. would be very happy with their portrayals.

It will serve as a good reminder to the people out there who have already started to forget the events and implications of that day.