Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

DWI By Vol FF Kills Off Duty NYPD Officer

38 posts in this topic

Off-Duty Police Officer Killed In Motorcycle Crash

Ti-Hua Chang

Reporting

(CBS) NEW YORK An off-duty police officer died 10 hours after a red SUV collided with his motorcycle on the West Side Highway Monday. Police removed the Jeep Grand Cherokee and twisted remains of the motorcycle around 133 Street.

While traffic was stopped on the northbound West Side Highway, those driving southbound said the SUV looked like it devoured the motorcycle. The SUV was literally on top of the motorcycle, and as the vehicles were removed, the top half of the motorcycle had been broken off from the force of the impact.

The officer, whose name has not been released, was rushed to St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center alive, sources said, but died a short time later.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg told reporters that the officer left behind two young daughters.

“It breaks all our hearts,” said Bloomberg.

Police said the driver of the SUV was drunk. He has been identified as 23-year-old Robert Derian, a volunteer member of the Upper Saddle River Fire Department Rescue Squad. The red SUV had both flashing blue and white lights in the windshield and a captains’ sign. Sources said the lights may have played a role in the tragic turn of events.

Police were searching for the officer’s gun, but did not find it.

My prayers to the officer and his family. Unfortunately another black eye for the fire service.

Off-Duty Policeman Dies In Crash; Possible Road-Rage Cited

POSTED: 11:04 am EDT August 14, 2006

UPDATED: 1:37 pm EDT August 14, 2006

NEW YORK -- In a possible case of road rage, an off-duty police officer was killed early Monday when his motorcycle was rear-ended by a suspected drunken driver who was flashing a blue emergency light sometimes used by volunteer firefighters, police said.

It was unclear if the driver of the sport utility vehicle -- registered in New Jersey -- was a firefighter, police said.

Police said the incident began at about 12:15 a.m. when the officer, Eric Concepcion, and a companion, also on a motorcycle, pulled up next to the SUV on the Henry Hudson parkway in Manhattan. At that point, "Words may have been exchanged," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly told reporters.

The suspect, with lights flashing, followed Concepcion and may have "tried to pull him over" before striking the rear of his motorcycle and running him over, Kelly said.

The suspect was taken into custody after testing above the legal blood-alcohol limit of 0.08 percent, police said. Charges were pending.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg told reporters that Concepcion, who was assigned to the Yankee Stadium detail, left behind a wife and two daughters, ages 1 and 4.

"It breaks all our hearts," the mayor said.

On the heels of the NJ volunteer firefighter arrested for DWI in a fire apparatus, a tragedy unfolds. A 23 y/o NJ rescue squad volunteer is involved in a fatal accident that leaves an off-duty NYPD officer dead. What makes matters worse is that according to news reports and eyewitness accounts, this individual appears to have been displaying his flashing blue lights when the accident occurred. Thanks again to the most worthless among us for not only helping the stigma of volunteers being a bunch of blue-lighting yahoos, but also for fueling what will most likely be open season on anyone displaying a blue light in their vehicle. Speaking for myself, and only my opinion, I pray the NYPD will see this as one young brainless cretin, and not judge us all en-masse. May the fallen officer rest in peace and our prayers go out to his family.

Just my 2 cents.....

Being the cynical one I am, probably not.

Lets not let this start the career volunteer rivalry, there are times we all know that people dont use their better judgement. This is one extreme case, that like people of this stature give everyone else a black eye. Its happend to police officers, emts, firemen, lawyers, contractors, mechanics you name it someone out there gave them a black eye... lets just pray for this man's family and get on only taking away a lesson learned if at all possible, not stereotypical hatred or disdain.

Lets not let this start the career volunteer rivalry, there are times we all know that people dont use their better judgement.  This is one extreme case, that like people of this stature give everyone else  a black eye.  Its happend to police officers, emts, firemen, lawyers, contractors, mechanics you name it someone out there gave them  a black eye... lets just pray for this man's family and get on only taking away a lesson learned if at all possible, not stereotypical hatred or disdain.

So true. Good reply. I can only hope justice will prevail and the family of the officer will get on with thier lives. I do have to ask when will people learn that drinking and driving do not mix ????

They will never learn .Next week or day or month or year there will be someone else doing the same thing .Thats the shame of it

Let's understand that the officers posting have every right to vent on another board right now. Justifiably angry, as we are. I am sure there are a number of NYC police officers who fill the ranks of their communities volunteer fire department who find this as deplorable as we do.

Two children under five left behind.

I remember about a year ago I was driving southbound on the sawmill river pkwy. There was a older chevy blazer weaving in and out of traffic and passing alot of cars. He was going south as well and he had on his dashboard blue light. As he passed me I noticed he had Jersey plates with "VF" in the Maltese cross. I lost sight of him at the Henry Hudson tolls.

Was he really responding from somewhere in westchester to New Jersey? Is that something that is legal to do? I know it is referred to as a courtesey light, but is only to be used in your own district or state?

Maybe if your out of state you should not try to make the call. Any answers on this/

Edited by ltrob

Maybe if your out of state you should not try to make the call. Any answers on this/

Simple answer-yeah, don't do it! There probably isn't a specific law against it because it's such common sense that if you live in WC, don't try and make fire calls in NJ. You're not supposed to break any traffic laws with those lights-so I don't know how he planned on getting to NJ before the fire was out. That's how people on the roads get hurt.

Let the cops vent in their forum, they have every right to and we'd be doing the same if the situation was reversed.

My heartfelt sympothy goes out to that cops family right now.

no good, can come of this....

Thoughts and prayers to the officer and his family.

I wish to extend my condolences and those of all members of the Pelham Fire Dept., NY, to NYPD Officer Eric Concepcion's wife, family, friends and fellow NYPD officers. I pray and hope that his loved ones may find the strength to carry on after this tragedy.

I ask that, whenever available, one of our forum members post the details on the Memorial Service and funeral arrangements. I believe that it is important for the fire service to show solidarity with our brother and sister 1st responders in Blue. I personally, schedule allowing, wish to attend the service to show my support and respect.

May he rest in peace.

Henry Gregorio

You're right Eagle, it should be common sense and it seems like a simple answer to me. But yet it happens.

This accident is tragic. But if people can understand how dangerous responding like this could be. Then maybe an accident like this can be avoided in the future. So a good lesson can be learned.

To just say it was a one time accident and not learn from it would really be tragic. Maybe there are firefighters that do this sort of thing often and wiil now re-think how they will use their blue light.

I remember about a year ago I was driving southbound on the sawmill river pkwy.  There was a older chevy blazer weaving in and out of traffic and passing alot of cars.  He was going south as well and he had on his dashboard blue light.  As he passed me I noticed he had Jersey plates with "VF" in the Maltese cross.  I lost sight of him at the Henry Hudson tolls.

NJ FF tags do not have the letters "VF" in them. They are a 4 digit tag with the maltese in them, as shown here.

SNJ112.jpg

If he had a "VF" plate, then he was probably a NYer. Regardless, he was still in the wrong.

NJ FF tags do not have the letters "VF" in them. They are a 4 digit tag with the maltese in them, as shown here.

SNJ112.jpg

If he had a "VF" plate, then he was probably a NYer. Regardless, he was still in the wrong.

Thanks for the info wolf. It was defenitly NJ but I'm sure your right about the markings. The NJ plates going down the sawmill is why he stood out to me.

I also have come to find out this guy from the other day was'nt responding. Who knows what he was thinking. That will all come out in the days ahead.

Fabulous, another goddamn yahoo giving us all a nice shiner. :angry:

Condolences to Officer Concepcion's family. Truly a sad situation. :(

The guy was drunk and p'ed off, and decided to bully someone, not knowing that it was a cop. His attorney now says that he isn't such a bad guy since he pulled over and rendered aid (supposedly) after he rammed the bike from behind. As far as I'm concerned, whether or not he rendered aid is immaterial; the fact that he let machismo get the best of him and ultimately murdered someone shows what kind of animal he really is. He deserves to rot in a cell for the rest of his life, and I am not saying that solely because he killed a cop; I am saying that because there are too many needless deaths on roads today because people are too ampped up when they drive. This officer did nothing wrong and ended up leaving behind a wife and 2 children because of the misdeeds of some drunken moron.

Edited by WolfEMT

Just serves to remind all of us that when you are a part of an organization, such as the Fire Dept., you're not just some person any more. What did the newspaper say today? Not Joe Shmoe kills NYPD, it said VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER , drunk, Kills NYPD.

I feel for the family of the officer and am angered that one stupid person has tarnished a proud institution.

Remember, you represent everyone in this biz

I'm kinda at a lost for words with this situation. It is so frustrating to hear about these avoidable tragedies.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family of P.O. Concepcion, as well as his brothers and sisters in blue.

This officer, who risks his life everyday for the NYPD, was just out trying to enjoy his time off with a buddy. I'm sure riding his bike with buddies was a normal thing for him to do when away from the job. But now, some a-hole yahoo took his life and left his wife and children behind, husband & fatherless.

The whole situation pisses me off. The fact that he was a volunteer firefighter, drunk and using his blue lights (like an a-hole) just adds to my anger.

From reading the Daily News today, looks like hes gonna be charged with manslaughter (vehicular?), DWI, unlawful display of emergency lights & a few others. I pray that the DA & judge throw the book at him and show no mercy. This jack-off obviously had no regard for human life as he was drunk driving, driving like a maniac (road-rage) and trying to use his vollie lights to scare someone. Why should he be granted any mercy now?

As far as the officers venting on other forums, so be it, who could blame them? The fact that he was a P.O. is why they are all upset. They feel as if they lost a brother, and they did! They're angry as hell that this punk took a innocent mans life, leaving his family behind. The fact that he was a vollie and using his whacker lights during this incident just adds fuel to the fire for these guys.

Anyway, may Officer Concepcion rest in peace and may his family stay strong during this horrific time.

May this young a-hole go to jail, not to see the light of day again.

*If anyone hears of a memorial fund being set up, please pass the info along. I would imagine the PBA is already on top of that.

FROM NYPD PBA website:

August 15, 2006

Funeral arrangements for Eric Concepcion Yankee Stadium BX are as follows:

Viewing

McKeon Funeral Home

3129 Perry Avenue

Bronx, NY

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

1400 hrs – 2100 hrs

Service

Thursday, Aug. 17, 2006

0945 hrs

St. Brendan’s Church

Corner of 207th Street & Perry Avenue

Bronx, NY

Fraternally,

Patrick J. Lynch

President

Just a curiosity question...

Is anyone aware of the numbers of accidents involving volunteer responding in POV's while using "courtesy" lights?

I also know of a volunteer firefighter stopped in Yonkers (on a parkway) using a blue light at over 100 miles an hour. Turns out he was enroute to work in Rockland and didn't want to be late. His FD was not happy with him but don't know if they did anything about it.

Not to start a revolution, but since they're just courtesy lights might we be better off without them since nobody yields to the official emergency vehicles with red lights and sirens? I'm just interested in what y'all think - I'm NOT starting anything!

Wow, several things to think about here.

First and formost, this was a tragedy, which was all too sadly avoidable. But it would be just as much of a tragedy if he had been hit from behind by anyone, regardless of service affiliation. I think the news was only interested in this because there were two members of emergency services involved, and they thought they could play the fued angle. We must not rise to this temtation.

Second, I do not know the agency organization in question, but it seems to me we keep hearing about this Volunteer Firefighter who displayed lights sometimes used by volunteer firefighters who was a member of a RESCUE SQUAD? I know in New Jersey, Rescue Squads are EMS companies. Was this guy even a Firefighter at all?

Third of all, volunteers have to stop thinking of these lights as courtesy lights. This may all be semantics, but nowhere in any law I've read does it call these lights courtesy lights. By training ourselves to not respect these warning devices, we risk training the public to ignore them entirely.

At least in Connecticut, what makes a vehicle an emergency vehicle is the use of a siren with lights, not the color or number of lights. While lights only does not grant any special rights to break traffic laws, the use of lights is meant as a warning to motorists that one is responding to an emergency, or may be stopping suddenly at an emergency, or that there may be people walking around a stopped vehicle. We are not responding to courtesies, we are responding to emergenccies.

Along with this, of course is the need to understand that lights alone do not grant special rights. Oddly enough I have found no prepackaged safety training avalible for home response. Departments are left up to their own devices to train members. Although I doubt all the training in the world, would prevent someone intent on breaking the law from doing so.

I have known of two incidents which were likely misuse of warning lights in my town, one while I was responding in apparatus, one that was called in over the radio while I was working as a dispatcher. I'm sure there have been more. BUt at least in my experience, I know several people that have lights and are almost affraid to use them unless it is a major incident. I have to think that most volunteers are capable of sound judgement in these matters.

if the newspaper said drunken volunteer firefighter i would have taken accecption to it. you never hear them say drunken officer worker or drunken sales clerk.

But useing his position as volunteer and abusing his lights and killing some one you gotta draw the line. he deserves what he gets. no excuses period

condolences to the family may the police officer rest in peace.

the lights are a courtesy and may only be used with inthe jurisdiction that the voluntreer belongs to.

believe the law also states something about the candle power and where the lights can be placed.

mabey fire chiefs should read up on these things ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Just a curiosity question...

Is anyone aware of the numbers of accidents involving volunteer responding in POV's while using "courtesy" lights? 

I also know of a volunteer firefighter stopped in Yonkers (on a parkway) using a blue light at over 100 miles an hour.  Turns out he was enroute to work in Rockland and didn't want to be late.  His FD was not happy with him but don't know if they did anything about it.

Not to start a revolution, but since they're just courtesy lights might we be better off without them since nobody yields to the official emergency vehicles with red lights and sirens?  I'm just interested in what y'all think - I'm NOT starting anything!

As an EVOC instructor I ask this question every class. Why do we need them? What purpose do they serve? After several minutes of debate I end it with my opinion on them and that is they do serve no purpose and probably are responsible for more accidents than they are worth. We don't need them. Just my humble opinion.

As an EVOC instructor I ask this question every class. Why do we need them? What purpose do they serve? After several minutes of debate I end it with my opinion on them and that is they do serve no purpose and probably are responsible for more accidents than they are worth. We don't need them. Just my humble opinion.

I have a reply to that but we'll have to bring it up in another discussion, an very controvercial reply that would start a good discussion.

But for now, this is someone, even if he was operating a certifiered response vehicle using emergency lights would have done the same thing. It is called irresponsibility in my opinion.

Here are my 2 cents so here goes...

I used to have a blue light in my truck about 3 months ago until my truck was broken into and someone took it while i was in the bronx. Since that time I have no ambishion to replace it. The blue light or green lights in POV's are a really distraction and also it doesn't give you any special rights in the V & T laws. As EVOC has shown me respond safely to the firehouse. If you are speeding to a call and all of your lights going and you get into an accident what good are you now?

The fire will still be there when you get to the firehouse, it my take you an extra few seconds but you did it without killing anybody.

anyway, be safe out there, and get home safe after all your runs.

chris

RIP - Thoughts and prayers to the NYPD Police Officer, his family, friends,

and co-workers.

This incident is absolutely horrible.

A very sad day for the NYPD and a blow to ALL Volunteer Firefighters.

Very clear reminder that what you do both on and off duty is a not only a reflection of you and your actions but an embaressment to the department or agency you are a member! REMEMBER THAT!

Normally I would say "What does he being a Volunteer Firefighter have anything to do with it" but when it mentions the Blue Lights well, now he brings the FD into it.

I saw some comments above about this guy having a history of road rage or attempting to pull over cars, Did anyone call 911 and report him?

GOD BLESS THE NYPD POLICE OFFICER!

Thoughts and prayers to the family and al the NYPD family. ........God rest his soul.

As for the stupid F**king moron from NJ. First off why would any one of us think of getting into a car when you have been drinking. Not for nothing, but as emergency responders we see first hand what happens. Why would you drive drunk? As somebody said in a earlier quote it wasnt just so and so murdered a police officer, it was A DRUNK VOL FF! Thanks buddy a whole lot. So yeah now

John Q Public sees us as drunk yahoos, and so and so's. Really but why drive drunk !?!?!

Sorry about that rant, heres a idea if a dept. hands out a "blue light auth. card" maybe do a DMV check on the member first. Then how about a class on proper uses and misuses. I mean simple right? So, why not? Hopefully if this was addopted atleast the abuses of "courtesy" lights would not happen.

in closing i would say if you are entering the 5 boroughs the next few weeks, take your blue light down. Think to yourself the next time you respondin your POV, do i really need to use this or is it a BS alarm. FINALLY PLEASE BROTHERS DONT DRINK AND DRIVE! (chances are u will live to see the next day, but the person u hit in to wont)