Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest alsfirefighter

Disappointing - Tech Rescue Course Cancellations

16 posts in this topic

With Camp Smith closing, there was much discussion (and speculation) of what was going to happen to the delivery of training that was normally held at Camp Smith. The primary of those being technical rescue courses. I was very disappointed to see that the Intermediate Rope Rescue course was cancelled that was suppose to be held this week. Additionally a Confined Space Rescue course that was spread out over 2 weekends in August was cancelled due to lack of students.

If we are to see the delivery or the continued attempt of delivery of courses in Westchester by NY State, we've got to step up and show that the training is needed or wanted, or else you'll be driving to find it.

This post is my opinion/statement only and does not reflect that of any agency/department I work for, deal with or am a member of.

With Camp Smith closing, there was much discussion (and speculation) of what was going to happen to the delivery of training that was normally held at Camp Smith.  The primary of those being technical rescue courses.  I was very disappointed to see that the Intermediate Rope Rescue course was cancelled that was suppose to be held this week.  Additionally a Confined Space Rescue course that was spread out over 2 weekends in August was cancelled due to lack of students. 

If we are to see the delivery or the continued attempt of delivery of courses in Westchester by NY State, we've got to step up and show that the training is needed or wanted, or else you'll be driving to find it.

This post is my opinion/statement only and does not reflect that of any agency/department I work for, deal with or am a member of.

i deffinatly agree, its so hard to get the training with out a long trip up to montour. i was in the confined space rescue class in august at the WCFTC and that was canceled we had 6 people show up the 1st morning and it was a pain to be reassigned from work and other guys had to take off. i was also soposed to take medium structural collapse tools at montour oct 5 and 6 and that was also cancelled. lastly i am registered for the advanced rope rescue class oct 14 and 15 and 21 and 22 at WCFTC which i hope comes off as planned. This just shows how much the closing of camp smith will hurt the fire service in this area. we all need to step up and start taking classes so we prove a demand and all further our own knowledge. Other wise these classes won;t come off and no further ones will be schedualed and heck its alot easyer goin 10 15 min or less to the training center rather then 3 1/2 to montour.

Wow. Only 1 response in regard to training. Perhaps if I made it about snow, a parade, a pager or something to that effect I'd have 500 views and 2 pages of posts.

Wow.  Only 1 response in regard to training.  Perhaps if I made it about snow, a parade, a pager or something to that effect I'd have 500 views and 2 pages of posts.

Als you forget to put down depts getting new trucks. We are not born FF's, You have to train.you are only as good as you are trained.Be smart and trian, sighn up take classes, It will help your dept out, the state, your group, the person next to you at a fire, and yourself.The training you do now and all the classes you take will help you out in the long run if you want to move up the ranks

It is crazy for the amount of responses you get for bs items such as parades and social events, but only minimal for "TRAINING". I totally agree with what ALS said these classes are very important, and hard to come by. I just wish the emergency services would focus a little more on training.

In my volunteer Dept. we are having problems getting some members out to train, for they may miss an important meeting where their discussing social functions. Are we forgetting the importance of why we are here? The fire/ems service is a field that is changing daily, and we need to better ourselves and make sure we keep up on changes.

The fact is we need to emphasize the importance of training, and stick it in our members heads.

Side note- glad to see Westchester County is offering WMD and Tech Rescue classes. Just wish the attendance was better since their getting cancelled due to low enrollment.

Als you forget to put down depts getting new trucks. We are not born  FF's, You have to train.you are only as good as you are trained.Be smart and trian, sighn up take classes, It will help your dept out, the state, your group, the person next to you at a fire, and yourself.The training you do now and all the classes you take will help you out in the long run if you want to move up the ranks

We're only as good as our training and experience - it's pathetic that ANY training courses need to be cancelled for inadequate enrollment!

We're only as good as our training and experience - it's pathetic that ANY training courses need to be cancelled for inadequate enrollment!

well advanced rope rescue is 13 days away i am signed up i hope the class comes off as planed...

side note its at the WCFTC OCT 14,15 and 21,22.

i would like to see another confined space class at WCFTC being the August one was canceled and a Hazmatt Tech class.

Any word on any one running the structural collapse series now that Camp Smith is closed? Other then Montour

I know many in my department would have signed up but we were told many times we are not a Westchester dept. The WCTC is much easier to get to than Putnams. Many of us would rather go down there but after many of us have been bumped from classes or told we could not attend we have given up on the WCTC

White Plains is going to be doing alot of tech rescue training. Trench rescue as well. Give the training officer a call and see if your dept. can get on board.

now if a class is short people why won't the county fill out the class with out of county people rather then cancel it.

i know i have taken a few classes in rockland and i am from westchester. i could see not letting in some one out of county if it ment locking out one of your own.

Any one from white plains who has what classes and the dates private message me, i know our dept was going to be fowarded the datesany way but the more notice the better. well hopefully that will help out with getting additional training.

its great to see local depts running classes.

I noticed on the OFPC website the state is advertising Rope Rescue Operatiol Level, Rope Rescue Technician Level 1 and 2. Are these classes replacing Intermediate and Advanced Rope rescue?

ajs bear. You probably weren't aware but if you looked at the website and read the course announcement this course was being delivered by the state as part of their regional delivery program. It was being hosted by Westchester, it had nothing to do with Westchester DES.

This is no dig at anyone...

Gang if you want training you need to know where to look for when it is going to be held and how to get registered for it. If you wait for someone else to do what you want then you will be left behind.

Remember "let up for a second and that is where you will finish."

I am in the next rescue tech class....you guys have to think of it this way, it was dumb to have all those higher level classes before the basic( and prerec. might i add) class. If there was a rescue tech in aug. i am sure they would be full. i know i would have signed up for as many as i could. And another thing is the my rescue tech class is already full so the reason for the lack of people in those classes is not intrest, its just poor planing.

Edited by Firefighter57

Guys, you can't tell me that just with Westchester personnel that a confined space class and a intermediate rope class can't be filled. There were at least 2 RTB courses earlier in the year at the county. Not to mention that there have been cancellations at camp smith of intermediate rope over the past year or even 2. Poor planning, perhaps but not on the county end in my opinion. Again as stated, the county doesn't set the schedule for tech rescue courses above RTB, the state does.

Once again I need to put out there that this post is my opinion/statement only and doesn't reflect that of any department or agency I work for or am a member of. blink.gif

cool.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by alsfirefighter

while we are on the training topic there are still some openings in the Aircraft firefighting class (ARFF) which starts tomorrow (tues nt),for those of you that respond first due to the county airport it might be to your advantage to take this class. 231-1699 with permission from your chief officer.

Edited by hudson144

I think the County should take advantage of this oppurtunity, and partner with the State to provide a rpermenant egional state course training facility to replace Camp Smith, complete with tech rescue simulators. I know the DES is running out of space, but with a couple of modular trailers, the county has plenty of space and options to host these classes and bring the DES up another notch.

This would allow for course to fill with those from other areas for courses that have too low enrollment by themselves with Westchester attendees.