Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

68 bullets: too much force or justified?

22 posts in this topic

68 Bullets

Law enforcement fired 110 shots at an armed man who killed one deputy and wounded another. Was the force excessive or justified?

WEB EXCLUSIVE

By Lynn Waddell and Arian Campo-Flores

Newsweek

Updated: 1:16 p.m. ET Oct 14, 2006

Oct. 14, 2006 -

It all began with a simple traffic stop.

Polk County (Florida) Sheriff’s Deputy Doug Speirs pulled over Angilo Freeland just before noon on Sept. 28 for speeding along an avenue in Lakeland, Fla.

But when Speirs asked for Freeland’s driver’s license, Freeland, 27, produced a dubious-looking state ID card. Would he have to go to jail for not having a valid license? he asked the deputy, according to authorities. Moments later, Freeland fled into a wooded area beside the road.

Speirs radioed for backup, and soon Deputy Matt Williams arrived with his dog Diogi.

The three set off into the woods. Freeland apparently hid behind the exposed roots of a fallen oak, according to dispatch tapes and a law-enforcement account given to The Tampa Tribune.

Catching his pursuers by surprise, Freeland shot and killed the police dog, then quickly pumped Williams full of bullets, one of which penetrated his spine.

Freeland then shot Williams twice more in the head at point-blank range.

Speirs moved toward the gunfire. “I’m coming to you,†he told Williams over the radio, according to the Tampa Tribune report.

Then Freeland appeared over a ridge and fired at him. Though Speirs managed to shoot back, he was wounded in the leg during the exchange. “I’ve been hit, too,†he told the dispatcher.

Now authorities mounted a massive manhunt, including 500 officers, every available police dog, a SWAT tank and a helicopter.

They soon found Williams dead, and his gun and ammunition missing. For the rest of the day and overnight, authorities scoured the woods for Freeland.

Not until the next morning did a 10-person SWAT team finally corner him. He was hunkered down under another fallen oak, not far from where he’d killed the deputy.

When the cops spotted a gun in Freeland’s hand—Williams’s .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol—they opened fire on him. And plenty of it: 110 bullets in all, 68 of which hit him.

That barrage has now sparked a controversy over the amount of force used on Freeland.

Did law enforcement overreact because one of their own had been slain? Or was the hail of bullets justified?

Though the Polk County Sheriff’s Office, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the local state attorney’s office are reviewing the incident, Freeland’s family members say that’s not enough.

They argue that the sheriff’s office can’t credibly scrutinize itself, and they’re calling on Gov. Jeb Bush to order an independent investigation.

The family is “not defending what [Freeland] did,†says Jorge Angulo, one of the attorneys representing the family pro bono. “They are asking why he was shot so many times. Why was he not taken alive?â€

Bush “will not even consider an independent investigation†until the current inquiries conclude, a spokeswoman responds.

A sheriff’s spokesman defends how authorities acted, arguing that Freeland “had demonstrated a brutal lack of concern for human life†and that “officers perceived there to be a threat and responded appropriately.â€

Others have protested law enforcement’s handling of the situation as well.

The Florida Civil Rights Association has called on U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez to order an independent investigation by the Justice Department.

A Justice spokeswoman said the department was waiting for the results of the state probe before deciding whether to conduct their own.

Race may have been a factor, the FCRA argues; Freeland was black, while most of the officers were white. “The police tactics and the force used in the manhunt of a black man … is profoundly disturbing and raises questions that are too important to be dismissed,†says J. Willie David III, FCRA’s president.

The group is especially critical of certain comments made by Polk County authorities in the aftermath of Freeland’s death.

“I suspect the only reason 110 rounds was all that was fired was that’s all the ammunition they had,†Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd told the Associated Press.

excessive?????? no, just taking out the garbage & getting a little target practice in at the same time. it's refreshing & about time a piece of garbage be handled like a piece of garbage & nice to see officials able to be candid & honest about their feelings, intentions & motivation without having to fear reprisal or called "insensitive" by pacifist, naive, arm chair cowards that thrive on turning garbage like this into victims. good ridance you piece of s%%t, burn in hell.

Waste of perfectly good bullets and money, perhaps, but not excessive. Whether they fired 1 shot or 110, either way they were shooting to kill this scumbag, as they should've been. There's no mercy for an armed suspect who just killed and wounded cops and clearly intends on taking out more.

There are some things that make me truly sick to my stomach. Reading about the family crying foul over their complete piece of sh!t relative getting gunned down AFTER killing a cop, killing a police dog and wounding another is one of them. Reading some bullsh!t about how "it was because he was black!" is another.

I love the quote by the Sheriff also. He's probably right, they probably only stopped firing after all their clips were empty. Good for them.

You know what, now that I think about it...the public SHOULD be outraged.

I mean, 68 hits out of 110 shots is only a 61.8% accuracy rate. I think some of these guys need to be recertified, surely next time they can do better!

I see nothing wrong with taking the garbage out. he was a problem to society and most likely was not going to go on to cure cancer or anything. He kills 2 cops and wounds a few others and people are outraged? um folk you are not suppose to disrespect the cops, very basic here. i think it should be added to the police SOP's that when a police officer is gunner down those swat guys guns go from 3 round burst to full-auto. It will send a message that the gloves come off when you do this kind of stuff.

and save the "it's all because he is black" crap! it's because he KILLED TWO COPS!!

Once someone like that kills a cop and a police dog every single one of his rights disappear. He got exactly what he deserved. There is no punishment by trial that could be severe enough to bring justice to something like that. Its a shame they only used 110 rounds.

When I saw the title on the main page, I have to say I was a little nervous. Having police experience in Georgia and now with the NYPD (total 10 years) I see a major difference in public opinion regarding use of force between the south and the north. It's very nice to see everyone, at least on this website, is in agreement that this was a good shooting. I'm sure if a NYC newspaper ran this story the New York ACLU will be on 95 south heading to Florida (don't anyone tell 'em to slow down in Virginia either!). Thanks for the good opinions!

I hope nobody even entertains these mutts playing the race card. They should be praising the cops for saving the Florida taxpayers a s$it load of time and money.

It was the amount of force necessary given the circumstances. Two police officers were already shot and one was killed. The police K9 was also killed so they knew the suspect was armed and dangerous. He had stolen the police officer's gun and was also armed with his own.

If all 10 officers on the SWAT team fired (possible but WOW, there's a sight) they each fired only 11 rounds. Depending on all sorts of factors that will undoubtedly come out in the investigation and subsequent lawsuit, it seems entirely reasonable and most definitely justified.

I extend my sincerely condolences to the all the surviving officers and the slain officer's family. Hopefully, this matter will be put to rest very quickly!

RIP Deputy Williams!

Chris192 makes a good point, if it was in fact the case that all 10 of the SWAT members fired, that would be 11 rounds each, and considering the standard weapons issued to SWAT teams today (whether it be HK MP5s, or colt AR-15/M4 etc) it would be about 1/3 of their magazines each. Considering he had a weapon and had already killed an officer and wounded another, that would be very FEW rounds. Either way, he certainly got what he deserved. may the officer and the police dog rest in peace, and a speedy recovery for the other officer

As a retired police officer, I agree with all of the above postings. Nice job by all.

Check out the San Francisco Police Chief defending his department after an SFPD officer had been shot and killed during the pursuit of armed robbers

You may have to turn up the sound a little.

http://mfile.akamai.com/12948/wmv/vod.ibsy...591734.300k.asx

i can only hope the first 67 shots were non-lethal and only caused unbearable, excruciating pain before being put out of our misery with the final shot. they should have taken his bullet-ridden corpse & tied it to the back of a d.a.r.e car dragging it through the streets so every one could see what happens when you're nothing but a sociopathic piece of s^%t cop-killer. too bad they only fired 110 shots. anyone shedding a tear for this cretin is as worthless as he was. i'd be perfectly content if they just dropped the corpse off in a vacant lot to be gnawed & eaten by racoons & feral dogs.

X615, I'm shedding no tears but, man, I'd hate to be the outlaw facing your wrath!!! wink.gif " racoons and feral dogs", that is good stuff!!!

All I can say is that I would rather see ta money being spent on a couple boxes of ammo than millions of tax dollars being spent to house the piece of garbage in prision for the rest of his life.. The only thing that could have been a better ending is if the officer and his K9 survived. Other than that I hope this scum bag suffered through each and every shot, He got what he deserved, Justice was served.

As a retired police officer, I agree with all of the above postings.  Nice job by all.

Check out the San Francisco Police Chief defending his department after an SFPD  officer had been shot and killed during the pursuit of armed robbers

Justice was served here. I am a PO and I appreciate the support from the members of this group. We often break some cop/firefighter balls on this forum but always in good spirit and healthy rivalry. It's good to know we all stand behind each other when the going gets tough. 488, that was a hell of a video clip. I'm not familiar with that incident but I'm going to PM you for more info.

As a retired police officer, I agree with all of the above postings.  Nice job by all.

Check out the San Francisco Police Chief defending his department after an SFPD  officer had been shot and killed during the pursuit of armed robbers

This guy is laying it down big time. i think that this clip basicly covers everything that we feel everytime a cop is killed or someone questions the actions of a police officer in these kinds of cases. SFPD had to deal with a repeat offender and now one cop is dead. the media needs to get there act together. they always blame the victems or the police in these types of cases. Being a cop is nasty work, ok, your job is to deal with the worst types of people on earth. these aint smart people. these are criminals. these are people who kill others. sometimes things need to be done that might make softer people uncomfortabe. when guess what, I like my cops kicking a$$ and taking names. i sleep at night knowing that they are out there watching over all of us.

i don't think they caught the guy, not sure, but i am sure if he is free he aint seeing many more days of freedom.

when you shoot, you shoot to kill!!! an if all ten did fire, that is a small number of bullets. why wasnt he taken in alive? you have to be kidding me.

1) There is no such thing as a "simple traffic stop."

2) Two officers were killed; at about $800 a pop, I wonder if the dog had a vest?

This is why I canceled the Newsweek subscription about 5 years ago.

And bravo to the SF chief for speaking clearly..with luck that judicial circus out there will hear the message.

You're either a sheep or a sheep dog. And those guys were the sheepdog.

When faced with that stress you are taught to use the amount of force necessary to ensure your survival. Why? Because your brain is set up for self survival and it bypasses all mental/neural connections to ensure it.

His family will sue, they will settle out of court. Why? Because our system is loaded with tree hugging liberals whom fight for criminals instead of law abiding citizens.

alsfirefighter- Well put... those tree hugging-dirt worshippers need to get a F%^&ing clue. This crap with excessive force needs to stop, he killed an officer and wounded 2 others... there is no need to talk about "taking him alive", because he had no intention of coming out alive... As far as the family goes, they should have no grounds for a lawsuit, those bloodsucking lawyers are no better than the crimal by defending the crimainals actions... in my eyes Justice was SERVED... they took out the trash, and now it is time to move on...all in a days work