Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
STAT213

Who makes the best ambulance??

21 posts in this topic

Hey gang, my squad is buying a new ambulance, and I am way out of the loop on who is making the best trucks out there right now. I don't care about bells and whistles, I am really interested in reliability, solid construction and safety. There was some discussion about this in the past, but I can't find it. Thanks!!

Horton, we have used Hortons for over 25 years. The two rigs we have now are our 4th and 5th Hortons,going to be buying another in 18 months.

I would stay away from the GM chassis and go with a Ford. that was our only mistake last time.

I personally like the following brands due to the sturdy construction and craftsmanship of the modules. These are IMO the best out there right now:

Horton, Lifeline, Braun, PL Custom, Road Rescue, Excellance

All brands mentioned above, the modules are extremly sturdy.

As for vans, I feel AEV makes a great product as far as the van, the "Traumahawk", goes. I'm not sure about their modules yet, never worked in one.

*Edited for clarification

I'd stay FAR FAR away from the following:

Wheeled Coach, McCoy Miller- very cheaply constructed.

Don't forget, an ambulance is a lot in how you specify it. Also, be sure that the chasis can handle the weight and the suspension will give you a comfortable ride. Play around with the manufacturers demos a little, and don't forget to have them drive while you are both simulalating working in the back as well as laying in the stretcher. Make sure you like where everything is layed out as well.

The "in" style of rig around here (northern westchester) lately has been PL Custom. I'm not sure what it is since I've not been involved in purchasing a rig, but the VACs around hear are buying PL Customs left and right. Heck, I can't remember a new rig being deployed around here by a VAC that wasn't a PL Custom is some time.

Frazer....they're out of Houston, and are very popular around the Dallas/Fort Worth area. :D

Dallas Fire Rescue runs X635's favorite....ALL Wheeled Coach!! :-P :-P

Dallas Fire Rescue runs X635's favorite....ALL Wheeled Coach!! :-P  :-P

Uh, no lol!!! and BTW, it's spelled "Wheeled Roach".

I only like a few Wheeled Coach ambulances. I like LA City FD's, and Mohegan EMS's. But thats pretty much it. Wheeled Coach, IMO, is built very cheaply. Ever seen a photo of one involved in an MVA?

I, like 801, prefer an ambulance that's "built like a tank"

I personally work/have worked in the following brands of ambulance and think highly of all the following brands:

Lifeline,AEV, PL Custom, Braun, Excellance, Road Rescue, Horton

The only thing I have to say about the Mohegan twins.....looks can be deceiving!

looks can be very decieveing...they serve the purpose...and yes i know what they look like in a MVA....right chris.....lol personally im all about the PL custom

x635, if you want an ambulance built "like a tank," come to somers and take a look at our two Freightliner/Horton ambulances. They're the closet thing to a tank you can get. However, they're spaciousness and safety comes with a detriment to ride comfort. They ride like a truck, and sometimes the rigidness of the suspension becomes unbearable in the back. They're tuned to climb hills, and climb hills they do. When it comes to acelleration and speed, they run laps around our new Ford/PL Custom. Overall, they're great to have when off-road truck capabilities are needed, but ride comfort could be made a little better. When it comes to safety though, these buses offer an advantage over smaller van type chasis simply due to size.

http://www.somersvfd.com/apparatus.htm

x635, if you want an ambulance built "like a tank," come to somers and take a look at our two Freightliner/Horton ambulances

Oh, I've worked (ALS) in all of Somers EMS ambulances . My favorite is 80-B-2 because its the nicest looking,lol.

The PL is nice, and I really don't mind the Hortons either. Sometimes I do feel badly for anyone on a backboard though, lol. Alot of the ride, IMO, depends on the driver, and my only issue with the Hortons B1/B3 is the lack of grab handles available. The ones that are up there are too short or non existent. When you're working byourself back there enroute, and trying to start an IV/do a twelve lead/intubate/assess/etc...there is hardly anything to grab onto or brace yourself against. In some cases, it's also nice to have all that room, but sometimes that room can work against you.

Some agencies swear by their Freightliner/Internationals. I wonder if the suspension has anything to do with it? I've ridden in Boston EMS's GMC 4500/Brauns........the GMC 4500 is the equivelent to the Freightliner or International chasis, and it rides pretty nicely, well as nicely as it can along Boston streets,lol, with the suspension they have on it.

Some agencies swear by their Freightliner/Internationals. I wonder if the suspension has anything to do with it?

If memory serves me correctly, there was a suspension available with a more forgiving ride. The draw back was it couldn't "kneel" like the present one's do. That was the reasoning in going with the end result.

Oh, I've worked (ALS) in all of Somers EMS ambulances . My favorite is 80-B-2 because its the nicest looking,lol. 

The new 80B3 is in the works and will likely be a PL Custom very similar to 80B2.

If memory serves me correctly, there was a suspension available with a more forgiving ride. The draw back was it couldn't "kneel" like the present one's do. That was the reasoning in going with the end result.

Actually, I believe the main reason they did not get the enhanced suspension is because tit would have voided the warranty on the chassis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats what I have been told by the Chiefs up there.

Actually, I believe the main reason they did not get the enhanced suspension is because tit would have voided the warranty on the chassis.

I do believe you're right about that too.

Personally, I believe Brauns are pretty good rigs. We use them in Tarrytown. 81-B1 is a 2004 Ford F-450 SuperDuty and 81-B2 is a 1998 Ford F-350 Powerstroke. Both run pretty well. Our past rig, a Ford F-350, is now being used by Tarrytown PD as some sort of Mobile Command Unit. Tarrytown PD also has our 1988 Ford (Horton, I believe) in service as a prisoner transport.

Ford E-350 or E-450 with a Braun box...Brauns take a lot of abuse and keep going...

you need a bus that is over built.... as X635 mentioned it has to be a tank, for your (& pt's) safety. You need a rig that is so over built it can work in any situation, any enviroment, the heaviest of call volume, any locale...... when you've done that let me know......

every bus that i've been in are pieces of &@#^!!!!!! Then again you need competent mechanics (haven't met a competent AMBULANCE mechanic yet!).....

I DO NOT LIKE THE FORD chasis! I don't know bout the chevies.

anyways, i like Bruans & Lifeline, but don't take liking as endorsing....

PL Custom, Braun and Horton seem to be the way to go. All have very good reputations...PL is taking a strong hold on Westchester..there must be a reason for that....and these three are NOT CHEAP...

PL Custom, Braun and Horton seem to be the way to go. All have very good reputations...PL is taking a strong hold on Westchester..there must be a reason for that....and these three are NOT CHEAP...

The Bets by far ............ CADILLAC!!!!!!! Damn I am old!

We went to bid on a Mack MR Heavy Rescue. Identical to NYPD's spec's. And I know its alot different than an ambulance, but they beat the closest bid price by $50K fully equipped. When my Unit switched to light rescue style trucks in 92' they were built by PL Customs. The light rescues are gone but the heavy rescue is still in service! The F'in thing just refuses to die. Had some cosmetic work recently but we have a LIFE TIME warranty on the box so their was no cost to us. Also note that PL is a Ford dealer among others. This cuts down drastically on the wait time for your order. If you get the chance visit their facility its pretty impressive. Good luck and stay safe.

----R----

Croton just got a PL Custom, and I do not have any complaints at all. It's a beatuful rig with good power, lots of space and a beautiful ride. I got a compliment from a medic a few weeks ago because he was able to get his IV with me doing a speed which I will not mention down route 9 en route to phelps. (seriously it wasn't too fast, maybe 70!) On the other hand, the other agency I belong to, Harrison VAC, just purchased two monstrosities. They look beautiful, and there is enough room to live in the back, but the ride is horrible. It still is a better ride than WEMS old 4004, especially when the rear wheel falls off on the HRP!!!!! Oops! #-o