Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

48-96 Shift Proposal

14 posts in this topic

Check this out:

http://www.topangafire.com/lacofd4896/

It's a site with a proposal for LA County FD to go to a 48/96 work schedule, and it's pretty comprehensive, and lists the pros and cons.

I do think that is a LONG time to be at the station though, especially a busy house!

looks like from the voting that they are going to try this out. does anyone have this in effect currently? I like the idea but if you catch a job the first day you will be hurting on calls the next. Its going to be intresting to see the trial results

that's crazy...............

they need to work on legislation in California to reduce the 53 hour work week thats allowed out there, and get down to a 40 hour week like we have here in N.Y., rather than how to stay in the firehouse longer.

Edited by yfd910

In August 2006 Arlington Professional Firefighters Dutchess County N.Y.went to a 24/72 instead of 3 10 hr days, 3 off, 3 14 hr nights , 3/off. Most of us like it alot better for the reasons stated in the LA COUNTY ARTICLE.

I CAN ONLY WISH FOR A 24/72 SCHEDULE. IT WOULD RESOLVE SOME PROBLEMS TO INCLUDE SICK LEAVE.CLIFTON NJ WON THE 24/72 SCHEDULE, AT FIRST THE CITY WAS NOT FOR IT AND NOW THAT IT HAS BEEN IN PLACE THE CITY CERTAINLY CAN SEE THE BENEFIT. I READ THE INFORMATION THAT WAS USED TO PROVE HOW MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE THE SCHEDULE COULD BE AND ALOT OF VALID POINTS WERE MADE. MAYBE SOME PEOPLE THAT ARE IN THE POSITION TO CHANGE THE WORK SCHEDULE OUGHT TO GET A COPY N READ IT!!!

With the current laws in new York State it seems that 24/72 are catching on in different departments.It fits the current syatem of kelly days or comp tours because the hours are still exact or closse enough.

i retired too soon.

We are still pushing for 24s, with the powers that be I don't think thats gonna happen mad.gif

I work 48/96 in a 1 station department that runs approximately 2000 runs a year. Not crazy busy by any definition. It can be rough if we get a couple of after midnight calls the first night but can usually rotate off the rescue so we don't get it 2 nights in a row unless of course multiple calls come in while the first out is on a call. Everyone here loves it because everytime we go home its a 4 day weekend! Overall its not more hours if you already work 24's. You just work your shifts all at once instead of 24 on /24 off followed by a 4 or 6 day once a month or so depending on the exaxt schedule which is the norm on the west coast . It can be a little long to be away from home, but then being home 4 straight days seems to keep everyone in the family sane.

I CAN ONLY WISH FOR A 24/72 SCHEDULE. IT WOULD RESOLVE SOME PROBLEMS TO INCLUDE SICK LEAVE.CLIFTON NJ WON THE 24/72 SCHEDULE, AT FIRST THE CITY WAS NOT FOR IT AND NOW THAT IT HAS BEEN IN PLACE THE CITY CERTAINLY CAN SEE THE BENEFIT. I READ THE INFORMATION THAT WAS USED TO PROVE HOW MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE THE SCHEDULE COULD BE AND ALOT OF VALID POINTS WERE MADE. MAYBE SOME PEOPLE THAT ARE IN THE POSITION TO CHANGE THE WORK SCHEDULE OUGHT TO GET A COPY N READ IT!!!

Hudson,

Why is it so much better?? I don't fully understand it...can you help me out here? Do you know where I can find the info?? Thanx.

Last year I was at the University of Nevada - Reno Fire Science Academy in Carlin, NV. attending the terrorism response program and most of the students were from departments out west. Many of them from the SF, San Jose, and Sacramento areas work the 48/96 schedule. I didn't hear anything negative about it except that a busy first night makes the back half tough. It seems that the drive for it out there is that housing costs are so high in the Bay Area and Silicon Valley that members have to live so far away to have a reasonable mortgage.

Now remember that many departments out west work a 56 hour work week (three platoon system) and most of us out here work an average of 40-42 hours per week(four platoons). If we went to the 48 hour shift (with four platoons) we would work a 48/144 schedule...that's six days off. As much as it would be nice to have that much time off in a row the 48 hour shift can be real hard. I think the 24/72 is the way to go (the guys in Greenville, my old stomping grounds love it too!). The SFRD went to the 24/72 shift in March and it's been working out well.

Be Safe!!!

SFRD49

48 hours with the "dentist"........ ouch!!!!! Thats' a lot of drilling........ smile.gifbiggrin.gif

24/72 is definitely better than "10/14" or the "3/3", but it is not an oasis of perfection (is there such a thing?)

Like any change, there are pros and cons; but for the most part, a better way to go.

Most of your State Associations (or any of the Locals who have been through a recent change) should be able to provide the materials and Power Point with the info.

cam- the info is in my locker dry rotting!

cam- the info is in my locker dry rotting!

Along with your hot dogs! laugh.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gif

now now boys yo know hudsons dogs are not rotten.... stale maybe but not rotten.

seriously contact any department that is currently running a 24/72 type of shift and they wil be able to tell you all about it.