Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ladder44

Nyack FD Jackson Hose Co.3, Green Hornet?

19 posts in this topic

Is Nyack FD's Jackson Hose Co. "Green Hornet" an accually fire truck or is it for parade use only?

From what I have seen of other pics, it used to be a front line piece, but was replaced and is still possessed by the Nyack FD. And my guess is that was the color it was when it was in service. I'm sure there is someone from Nyack that could comment.

It's still very much in active service. 10-1001 is Jackson Hose Co. #3's 1984 Hahn 1000/500.

user posted image

Sorry res6cue, I just realized that the pics I were looking at were of the Haverstraw FD's Lady Warren Hose Co 5.

But what's up with the green rigs in Rockland?

Well, we have all sorts of colors here. Columbian Engine Spring Valley has white over a dark blue, Vol Hose West Haverstraw has white over a lighter blue. Jackson Hose Nyack has the brown over green, Lady Warren Haverstraw has white over green. Excelsior Pearl River has white over chrome yellow, Piermont has white over a more subdued yellow. Suffern H&L has all white, as is our rescue. There are a few holdover lime rigs still around in Orangeburg, Central Nyack and South Spring Valley. And of course all the varying shades of red used either as a solid color, or with white or black. Rockland H&L Spring Valley has a dark burgundy, and Chelsea H&L Nyack has a pretty dark shade as well. I like all the colors, gives the trucks some character.

yea, I agree with you totally. I thought it was just odd that there were to metallic green rigs. My truck is silver over metallic blue, so I'm no stranger to wierd colors.

It's still very much in active service. 10-1001 is Jackson Hose Co. #3's 1984 Hahn 1000/500.

user posted image

That is one SHARP lookin' engine right there!

Can one of the Rockland guys tell me if the station they share with hook n ladder 2 is one building shared by both companies.....it looked like there was a wall that spilt the 2 sides with separate entrances with each company having a separate side of the house...thanks....

Hmm, haven't been inside there in quite a few years, but as I recall it's one structure divided in half down the middle. Chelsea H&L on one side, Jackson Hose on the other.

i am a big fan of the "whoopie" light on top. it is sweet.

as for the entire truck, i like it because it sticks out, red, red , red, green. it is definatly an attention grabber.

it also looks like it is in very good shape for an 84, no rust no scratches, at least not visibal from the photo.

It sure is in fantastic shape. That's one thing you'll always find about single apparatus companies like Nyack and Haverstraw, their rigs are always in tip top shape. That's not a knock on other depts, but it's definitely a decided advantage having all your members taking care of just one truck as opposed to an entire fleet.

That's one thing you'll always find about single apparatus companies like Nyack and Haverstraw, their rigs are always in tip top shape.

Not only that, this rig seems to get out the door VERY quickly.

Not only that, this rig seems to get out the door VERY quickly.

How does Nyack run, do the rigs wait for a crew of 3-5 or do they go driver only or with 2 and members go to scene in private autos? As always thanks for the info....

Well, I can't speak for any specific policy Nyack as a whole or any individual company might have, but I will say that it's been my experience here in Rockland that most depts like to wait for a few guys before rolling. Generally speaking, the drivers in most depts and companies get to know who's around at any given time of day or night, so you wait until they show up. I don't see too many depts around here encouraging members to respond to the scene, they'd rather have guys on the trucks when possible.

Nyack and Haverstraw get out quick because so many of their members work in or right around the village. It also helps when you only have one truck per company to man. Heck, I'm sure at night there are guys that show up and there's no room to ride the truck. Wouldn't we all want to be burdened with that "problem"!

It's not easy being single but its enjoyable!! LOL little fun on humor. My company is a single engine company and we turn out usually with a minimum of three or four in the am, not always and a lot more at night. But it is true when you say you know who is around during certain times of the day (me I'm back to being a daytime guy again due to working midnights).

Another great set of green trucks is Upper Makefield, PA. I don;t have their website but a good friend of mine who is on the job in Wallingford, CT came from that department. Dark hunter green with a white cab roof, really sharp.

Ogontz FD out in PA has the scheme reversed, white trucks with hunter green top half of the cab and green striping. Looks really sharp.

www.ogontzfireco.org

How does Nyack run, do the rigs wait for a crew of 3-5 or do they go driver only or with 2 and members go to scene in private autos?  As always thanks for the info....

We need at least 2 to roll, and we are allowed to respond directly to a scene.

it also looks like it is in very good shape for an 84, no rust no scratches, at least not visibal from the photo.

I believe that the truck went through a minor refurbishment a few years ago. They are in the planning stages to replace this truck.

Hmm, haven't been inside there in quite a few years, but as I recall it's one structure divided in half down the middle. Chelsea H&L on one side, Jackson Hose on the other.

Affirm.

Hey a question of the Nyack-ers.

Jackson Engine and Jackson Hose Companies, were they founded or initially house together and that is why they share the same name or just named after the same person. I know that they have always been 2 separate companies.