Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Metro North to consider TWO LEVELS of seating

10 posts in this topic

I had always wondered why MNRR didn't run double deckers, I had my ideas, but, now I know. Those would be pretty cool. Anyway, I hope the new rail cars come through and Governor Rell doesn't keep filibustering.

Thanks LFDR1!

-Joe DA BUFF

anyone have any pictures of what they would look like. Sounds like a cool Idea

it is a good idea to increase effiecence and decrease overcrowding but im wondering how tall the new cars would be considering there might be a height issue with some stations and in the tunnels

Also, i thought that Metro North just start replacing their old cars with the new M-7's i dont think they would be able to spend tax dollars on new cars when they just got new ones

That's really cool news.....mostly every Metro North train I am on is always crowded, and I can imagine as Westchester and the surrounding suburbs grows so will the railroads passenger load. Good foresight!

Maybe these will be the M-9's?

The LIRR talked about the same issues with car size, height etc when they bought Diesel/Electric engines and double decker cars. The talked about them for 4 years before they ordered some, When they came in they tested them for a year before they went in sevice and I know a lot of prople who think they are great. The only drawback some people saw, no 3 across seating its all 2 by 2. Now you can't put your bag in the middle seat it goes on top in the rack or on your lap.

The DMU cars sound neet . I wonder if they will be like the old Budd RDC with two Detroit Diesell slung under the cars.

The word is: The DMU cars will no see production, very little chance due to INCREDIBLE upkeep costs.

The LIRR double decked cars are fantastic. Though they lack the middle seat, they seat more people overall. The seats are wider too!! This is nice.

I am told they will clear the lowest points on MNRR by 2 inches, except for the outer 2 tracks in the Park Ave. tunnel. I believe that this limits the railroad too much, restricting diesel trains to the inner most tracks.

As for the fact that they bought M-7s, this is a separate issue. The double deckers would replace the older cars in the fleet of non-powered(pushed or pulled by diesel engine) Bombardier push/pulls. Some are nearing 30 yrs old.

Hmmmmm....M-9?

Edited by lfdR1

The word is:  The DMU cars will no see production, very little chance due to INCREDIBLE upkeep costs.

The LIRR double decked cars are fantastic.  Though they lack the middle seat, they seat more people overall.  The seats are wider too!!  This is nice.

I am told they will clear the lowest points on MNRR by 2 inches, except for the outer 2 tracks in the Park Ave. tunnel.  I believe that this limits the railroad too much, restricting diesel trains to the inner most tracks. 

As for the fact that they bought M-7s, this is a separate issue.  The double deckers would replace the older cars in the fleet of non-powered(pushed or pulled by diesel engine) Bombardier push/pulls.  Some are nearing 30 yrs old.

Hmmmmm....M-9?

Interesting. As for the middle seats they're a waste of time on the Hudson line. Only in the rarest of cases will they get taken (like now when the trains are so short) - especially on the M-7s. Look forward to seeing these double deckers - although I'm not going to be holding my breath unsure.gif

stops would be longer too cause of the passangers on the upper floors this could be good and bad.