Pelham Manor FD buys 1980 pumper

24 posts in this topic

[attachmentid=1517]

source: The Pelham Weekly

Printed From The Pelham Weekly

2006-11-17

Pelham Manor Buying Used Fire Truck To Replace Its Fire Pumper Engine #1

Fire Department Also Joining County Control

Pelham Manor’s Board of Trustees voted Monday night to purchase a used 1980 Mack CF7 pumper from the Pennsburg, PA Volunteer Fire Department for $47,000 (delivered).

Fire Chief Joe Ruggiero said the pumper was refurbished in 1990, has a one year old pump that has double the capacity of the department’s current pumper, an all aluminum body, a 6-man enclosed cab and its mileage is under 30,000.

A new pumper would cost an estimated $300,000 and this used pumper is expected to last at least ten years, the chief said. The Village has reserves to pay for it.

The chief also announced that the department staff will be dispatched by County Control effective in January as are almost all departments.

The Manor and only two other fire units in the county have had their own dispatch systems.

post-839-1163883125.jpg

That's great for Pelham Manor. Looks like a nice Mack CF that will fit well.

Although, I never could understand how the Village Board can't provide funding for a brand new Engine. Isn't Pelham Manor a wealthy community?

Edited by x635

Yes, Pelham Manor is one of the most affluent communities in Westchester Co. and NYS.

Oi-vay ! There's a reason why fire departments get rid of apparatus. They're old, unreliable and costly to maintain.

The Village should just bite the bullet and purchase a new rig !

Oi-vay !  There's a reason why fire departments get rid of apparatus.  They're old, unreliable and costly to maintain.

The Village should just bite the bullet and purchase a new rig !

They bought the used one to last them a few years and save money because they plan on either buying a new Truck to replace the current one (TL-3) or re-building the current one (TL-3).

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

From the looks of it sounds like a good cost saving move and the truck appears to be in great shape, as long as it is safe and can do the job stick with it.

[attachmentid=1517]

source: The Pelham Weekly

Printed From The Pelham Weekly

2006-11-17

Uh.......ah ............but........you know what, a picture is worth a thousand words, mine are better left to myself.

Not for nothing, look at Noroton Heights, all rebuilt (except for the rescue) Macks. And they have good luck. Hey if a community, affluent or not, doesn't have the budget to purchase new apparatus well then there is really nothing to do about it. My company had to wait to replace 3 trucks when they reached 25 / 26 years of service and all three were well used and well worn and constantly going out for repairs, we just didn' t have the $$$ and we had a decent tax base for a while but things change. The problem is with us is that we are not "supposed" to by refurbished frontline apparatus, a decision made by the chiefs and commissioners.

For Pelham Manor but I wish them luck with the new truck.

They shoulda bought E119!!!!! Rumor has it that it may be sold (thanks, Ebay) to a f*ing chop-shop.

Not for nothing, look at Noroton Heights, all rebuilt (except for the rescue) Macks.  And they have good luck.  Hey if a community, affluent or not, doesn't have the budget to purchase new apparatus well then there is really nothing to do about it.  My company had to wait to replace 3 trucks when they reached 25 / 26 years of service and all three were well used and well worn and constantly going out for repairs, we just didn' t have the $$$ and we had a decent tax base for a while but things change.  The problem is with us is that we are not "supposed" to by refurbished frontline apparatus, a decision made by the chiefs and commissioners.

Izz,

I was thinking today and hoping that my reply was not going to be taken as a dig, but rather I like the old mack, but was just astonished that a district with such a base would buy refurb. The later being none of my bees wax, like it was said they are looking to buy aa new rig.

Nice Mack!

does look like a nice rig, and it is a mack so it is that much better. i still think that mack should bring back there fire division

good luck with it.

Izz,

I was thinking today and hoping that my reply was not going to be taken as a dig, but rather I like the old mack, but was just astonished that a district with such a base would buy refurb. The later being none of my bees wax, like it was said they are looking to buy aa new rig.

Nice Mack!

I didn't take it as a dig at all or even though of it as a dig, hopefully neither did anyone else. We all would like something brand new and I firmly believe that is the way it should be especially if a department is very busy or has older apparatus say at the 15th year mark. But I understand where your coming from.

They shoulda bought E119!!!!!  Rumor has it that it may be sold (thanks, Ebay) to a f*ing chop-shop.

NOOOOOOOOO !!!!!! ohmy.gif Say it ain't so! PLEASE! That would be a travesty of justice, to put it mildly.

Having started buffing in 1973, I remember walking to Pelham Manor's house weekly from Co-op City where I lived. The all Mack CF house with the PD next door. Yes, Pelham Manor is an affluent community, but the runs and workers numbers probably dont justify buying a new rig, as far as the town is concerned. (Although I've seen that darn aerialscope up in the air more than a few occasions recently here on EMTBRavo, thanks Nate). Hey, I'd like to see a new rig too, but if it can pass the pump test.... One question for you experts, will it replace the other CF engine or the Spartan engine?

Side note: PM has the best pizza( 4 corners) and a pretty darn good Japanese steakhouse (Edo) !!

Having started buffing in 1973, I remember walking to Pelham Manor's house weekly from Co-op City where I lived. The all Mack CF house with the PD next door. Yes, Pelham Manor is an affluent community, but the runs and workers numbers probably dont justify buying a new rig, as far as the town is concerned. (Although I've seen that darn aerialscope up in the air more than a few occasions recently here on EMTBRavo, thanks Nate). Hey, I'd like to see a new rig too, but if it can pass the pump test.... One question for you experts, will it replace the other CF engine or the Spartan engine?

Side note: PM has the best pizza( 4 corners) and a pretty darn good Japanese steakhouse (Edo) !!

it will replace the other mack engine

it will replace the other mack engine

Which is Engine 1 for those who are not familiar.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Nice engine indeed, but i agree with dadbo. In the long run, a new engine will last longer and you dont have to deal with the costs of maintaining an older rig

Not for nothing, look at Noroton Heights, all rebuilt (except for the rescue) Macks.  And they have good luck.  Hey if a community, affluent or not, doesn't have the budget to purchase new apparatus well then there is really nothing to do about it.  My company had to wait to replace 3 trucks when they reached 25 / 26 years of service and all three were well used and well worn and constantly going out for repairs, we just didn' t have the $$$ and we had a decent tax base for a while but things change.  The problem is with us is that we are not "supposed" to by refurbished frontline apparatus, a decision made by the chiefs and commissioners.

the heights (as we call them) take pride in there all mack fleet, they take great care of them! there old tanker 23 was in great shape and they donated it to a fire dept in nh where its in front line service. if you take care of them thell last forever!

My first question would be "why was it refurbished after 10 years in service?"

Harrison's Mack was refurbed after less than 10 years.

Which is Engine 1 for those who are not familiar.

Eng 1 is 1976 mack pumper-refurbed in 1988

Good luck with the "new" engine to the brothers in Pelham Manor. Perhaps and hopefully it was refurbed to comply with NFPA 1901 Annex D, which will increase safety for those whom operate and ride in it. Overall looks like its still in great shape.

WAIT A SECOND!!!

They're switching to 60 Control?! News to me, but hey, we're always last to know... welcome aboard "KBP 638!"