Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Painting Hydrant Location In The Street

43 posts in this topic

Cha-ching, baby! LOL.

Another thing that came to mind on this topic - snow removal. I think we had a thread about that in the past - anyone recall it? Anyway, our Village law says you have to clear any hydrant in front of your home. Most people abide by this - some don't.

I'm not sure if it's law (although I seem to remember it is), but homeowners and citizens are definitely encouraged to dig out their hydrants. We usually put the trucks on the road with crews to dig them out after a storm, and after any runs we have we'll do some digging as well.

Cha-ching, baby!  LOL.

Another thing that came to mind on this topic - snow removal.  I think we had a thread about that in the past - anyone recall it?  Anyway, our Village law says you have to clear any hydrant in front of your home.  Most people abide by this - some don't.

In Garrison we don't have any hydrants worth worrying about. A few at Graymore and Garrison institue. If it totals 20 its a lot. I'd have to count them up on the maps.

I'm more partial to the blue reflector. I first saw this in the mid 90's in ohio and it does stand out.

I don't know if this was mentioned or not but I remember some time ago, Lake Mohegan's district had some hydrants marked by a big blue maltese cross but as with time it wore away. Which is why I prefer the reflector. Much easier maintenance, if the reflector breaks or detaches from the road, a little adhesive and its back in business. Why they don't use more reflectors on NY roads is beyond me. I've heard its because they say in the snow the plows knock them off, but in Virginia they would recess them so the plow would go over them.

These are great unless your in an urban area or put them near any schools or hangouts. They get bent removed you name it.

A few years ago when I was with a dept. in college, we did a quick fix before a big snow storm. We took tire innergubesm cut them up like rubber bands (just like what you do for your helmet band). We took 1x1 inch stakes and banded them to the hydrants. The tips of the stakes had been spray panted neon yellow. We didn't do every hydrant, we focused on places where the snow would be plowed high off of wide roads in commercial and industrial districts. The rest we just shoveled.

I know this is a cheapo fix, but we didn't have the bucks up there and this proved very effecive for a quick fix before the storm. The stakes didn't last long, but they got us through the snow.

Check this hydrant out, on the Westchester Medical Center propery. Could be kind of hard to find, especialy in the winter as low as it sits, behind parked cars.

Although I'm sure Hawthorne, Valhalla, and the GFB know where it is, if this was an actual fire, it would probaly require a massive amount of manpower that maybe didn't know clearly where it was.

[attachmentid=1712]

post-2-1165612714.jpg

Seth and ALS, some one has to be responsible to mark them and clear the snow away, where I am from Water Dept. Marks them with either the Flags or stakes with refloctors on them. The respective Fire Dist. pay to have snow cleared from them as well. We also after a snow storm send crews out to clear them as well. I would think and when I was chief we would check on hydrants and water sources often to make sure they where taken care of.So we could acces them and if dry hydrants where blocked etc. My question is who in your dist. take care of them?

AS well I will ask about WMC and reservation who takes care of them and if they are not marked they should be. I do not think or feel you should have to remember where every hydrant is in your area when there are so many other things to remember and think about on the way to a call. Just my opinion and not trying to upset anyone.

In Mohegan, the Town of Cortlandt water dept continues annually to paint blue maltese crosses in the streets i/f/o hydrants with an arrow pointing to the hydrant. In a few areas, there are red flags also mounted to the hydrants. On the Town of Yorktown side, the water dept. has put either red or blue reflectors on the hydrants. If I had a digital camera that worked, i'd take a pic...

Stamford, is a mix of many of these methods. Our new Mobil (MDT) system has the hydrants listed aproximately (some are a few feet off, but most are pretty close) These are also listed by NFPA Hydrant colors. We also list private yard hydrants in yellow on the map.

In Belltown specifically, we also use the Yellow ring around the poles, with a verticle stripe facing the hydrant. This is done on both sides of the hydrant, so that you can find a snow covered hydrant by finding both marks.

Some hydrants have the flags, but most of the plastic flage have been broken off, the metal poles are still there however, so that helps a little bit. We also have road books with hydrant locations, mostly for the rigs that don't have MDT's yet.

As for snow removal, it is strongly encouraged that residents do this, but few do. We go out the next morning and clear the snow from arround them.

We also have a couple of those low hydrants, that the wrench hits the ground on.

Now on a non winter topic: How does everyone deal with overgrown hydrants? We do not go out and clear brush away from overgrown hydrants. There are only a few, but they are there every year.

Going along with BFD what does your departments do when people purposely but bushes and fences to block hydrants, because they dont want it in front of their house? Also does anyone know of any laws that are out there pertaining to hydrants in peoples yards? Are they required to move the snow or to keep access open?

Here's another cool option for marking hydrants (that goes along with the previous topic, found this one in the Village Of Mamaroneck:

[attachmentid=1870]

post-11-1168708418.jpg