Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ex-commish

Staying with your rig

17 posts in this topic

This topic may of come up before but I wish to ask what departments require the driver to stay with the rig they drove regardless if the rig is committed ( lines laid, ladder up, etc) or are there exceptions to the rule.

With my dept it is pretty clear....you stay with the rig.

This topic may of come up before but I wish to ask what departments require the driver to stay with the rig they drove regardless if the rig is committed ( lines laid, ladder up, etc) or are there exceptions to the rule.

With my dept it is pretty clear....you stay with the rig.

Depending on your jurisdiction the driver may need to stay with the rig when out on details (ex. food shopping) for security reasons. As for when operating on the scene, unless the driver is needed for driver type duties, he should get dressed and go in with the crew.

Depending on your jurisdiction the driver may need to stay with the rig when out on details (ex. food shopping) for security reasons.  As for when operating on the scene, unless the driver is needed for driver type duties, he should get dressed and go in with the crew.

On 1 side I would have to say your right he/she should be dressed and go in with the crew. But on the other side you have to look at it this way. You get a working fire in your villiage city. etc.... your on the 3rd or 4th due truck and you park the truck and go inside but now here comes the ladder and they need to get in and now your nowhere to be found your somewhere in this building and now the ladder can't get in.

For us, It all depends on the needs of the incident. If the piece is going to be used for fire attack/rescue/water supply then the operator will be commited to it. However, if my company is assigned a task not involving the piece, we stage it a little ways away and the three of us go to work together as a company.

As with many things on the fireground, this can change and is fluid.

On 1 side I would have to say your right he/she should be dressed and go in with the crew. But on the other side you have to look at it this way. You get a working fire in your villiage city. etc.... your on the 3rd or 4th due truck and you park the truck and go inside but now here comes the ladder and they need to get in and now your nowhere to be found your somewhere in this building and now the ladder can't get in.

ENG47INE,

FYI a "truck" is a ladder company, what I think you are referring to is the 3rd or 4th due engine. As for positioning of apparatus the front of the building should always be left open for the first arriving truck co. If you're going to park the rig and go to work get it out of the way...And where I work I don't have to worry about 3 or 4 engines getting there before the first ladder arrives anyway. So I still stand behind my statement, if the rig is not going to be used all members should get dressed and go to work.

Edited by Jason762

If you have 3 engines a ladder and a rescue on a job and only an engine and ladder are being used vehicle wise, but the man power is needed from the other rigs, what's the point of tying up 3 firefighters to stand around with their thumb up their you know what?

If a fire fighter is needed to stand around for "security reasons" keep one standing by. For departments that fire police respond, they can stand by with the rigs.

My 2 cents on "if they need to be moved": If rigs need to be moved for an incoming vehicle, there's worse problems going on. All that will happen is a musical truck cluster muck. That's why apparatus placement is so critical. As stated, leave room for the truck regardless of if it's going to be needed or not. You can add hose to a line, you can't add extra ladder to the stick. If there's an anticipated need for additional sticks, it should be determined when command is established. That means if a chief is the first to establish the command, he's not doing his job on the initial size up. If a engine co/truck co is the first on the scene, they officer/senior member is not doing their job with an initial size up.

Jason, the way he wrote it was not describing a "truck company" as he says "ladder" in the next sentence. He meant truck as the literal meaning of the word. But yes, the way its written he's talking about the next due engine company.

With us you have to stay with the rig unless ordered otherwise.

We have senior (not OLD - they take offense) guys who prefer to pump or hang back while the younger guys do the grunt work. It's a nice system that best uses our people.

Jason, the way he wrote it was not describing a "truck company" as he says "ladder" in the next sentence.  He meant truck as the literal meaning of the word.  But yes, the way its written he's talking about the next due engine company.

Well where I come from when you're talking about 3rd and 4th due "trucks", that would mean the 3rd or 4th due ladder company. If I were to ask my boss who the 4th due truck on the scene was he would be a little confused unless it was a pretty large fire.

It's not just semantics, if you ask for another truck to the scene and you really wanted another engine, you're going to be pretty disappointed when the big red "truck" with the really long ladder on top shows up...

Well where I come from when you're talking about 3rd and 4th due "trucks", that would mean the 3rd or 4th due ladder company.  If I were to ask my boss who the 4th due truck on the scene was he would be a little confused unless it was a pretty large fire.

It's not just semantics, if you ask for another truck to the scene and you really wanted another engine, you're going to be pretty disappointed when the big red "truck" with the really long ladder on top shows up...

Perhaps you should use the word "masheen"....that is far less confusing then "truck" or "ladder".

PS - 4th due truck co.?

While agree that a criver should be a part of the crew if the vehicle is not needed, the key is to park it out of the way. This discussion came up the other night in my station as we have drivers that will leave a Truck in the middle of a commercial driveway and walk away, in at least one instance preventing all other units (including the IC) from driving in any further towards the building. Then again we also have drivers that will stage the 1st due truck outside on the street unless they get a personal invitation to go to the front of the building. So a little bit of thought as to placement, and the whole crew can go in and work together.

Jason, thanks for mentioning the 4th due truck, by the way. X152, you must remember it, white, red stripe, quartered a little north of 1 Co?

This can be summed up simply:

1. Follow your departments policy. If you don't have one, then either make them write one. If not then do what you feel is best at the time I guess.

2. When you arrive, its not just the front of the building that needs to be left open. The first arriving truck/ladder (whatever you want to call it) doesn't always go to the front of the building and this is a saying/myth we need to change. Apparatus arriving prior to the truck must leave open the part of the building that best suits the use of the aerial for what operations may be needed. Makes no sense for a ladder/truck to take the front of the building if their are power lines there, but sides B or D are open and can be used.

3. Jason I get what you were saying. When I first read his post it confused me too. Everyone else, enough already we all know what they both mean.

4. BFD, I feel you on your experience you shared. I've had that happen as well. The most important thing is discussing it so it doesn't keep happening. As far as the IC....could care less. They don't need to be that close to the building.

X152, you must remember it, white, red stripe, quartered a little north of 1 Co?

Sorry Boog, you know I love that CF, the last of a dying breed.......

In my Dept. the driver stays with the rig. Unless we are working a scene out of town and the manpower is needed.

As far as the IC....could care less.  They don't need to be that close to the building.

Nicely put...That was going to be my next post.

One of the best arguments for the driver staying with the rig, is that fire scenes are (to say the least) dynamic. Things can change very fast, and that rig we didn't need at first may be needed now. At least the driver can get into a better position if he is with the rig. Manpower being what it is, especially on truck companies, sometimes the driver is an integral part of the crew, and staying with the rig is not feasible.

As for the front of the building, even though we do not always want that postion it is the most common for a first due truck. There are places we go where we have preplanned to put the truck in the rear on on a particular side. There are others where we go to the front, and we really should be somewhere else. Either way, unless there is a good reason not to be in front of the building, that spot should be left open for the truck, just like the hydrant should be left open for an engine.

This is a good topic , but one that also makes the hair on the back of my neck raise up. Never and I mean never do I get as pi$$ed off as when I am on the radio trying to speak with an engine and cannot get a response , only to look over my shoulder and see the operater sightseeing. I am a firm believer if you drive it , you either pump it or park it, but either way you stay with it. I have done it, it blows when you are in a relay or at a pond or doing nothing, but that comes with the responsibility of being the operater. I have gone so far as wanting to tether headsets for the radio at 25' so at least he/she would be able to view the scene or look around the engine , but at least would not be able to walk upon the scene.

ARROW mad.gif