Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Fire Apparatus- Why No Locks?

17 posts in this topic

I'm wondering why locks aren't found more commonly on fire apparatus, such as the are on ambulance and police cars?

That way, if you go to the supermarket, have to leave the rig outside/unattended for any reason, etc, you can secure it.

There can even be a "secret switch" somehwere to unlock the doors.

With all the do-dads they put on fire appartus nowadays, it seems strange none of them lock (custom cabs at least). I'm also reffering to compartments.

I'm wondering why you can't lock fire apparatus like you do a car or ambulance?

That way, if you go to the supermarket, have to leave the rig outside/unattended for any reason, etc, you can secure it.

There can even be a "secret switch" somehwere to unlock the doors.

With all the do-dads they put on fire appartus nowadays, it seems strange none of them lock (custom cabs at least). I'm also reffering to compartments.

Syracuse FD recently had a Mini "borrowed" from a call. Same discussion came up on signal99.com.

Main reason was that if it had to moved quickly on a scene, it could be and by anyone. There is the home with keys reason too.

Can you imagine if you had a run and couldn't find the keys ?

I can hear the call now:

FIREFIGHTER: "Hello, On-Star....I need your help. There's a fire down the street

and I can't find the keys to the fire truck !"

ONSTAR: "Sure sir, I can help you. Can you give me your account number,

please ?"

FIREFIGHTER: "Account number ? Ahh...I don't know what the account number

is." (In the background "Does anybody know what our On-Star

account number is ?)"

"Lady, I don't know what our account number is but I can see the

flames from here !"."

ON-STAR: Well, maybe there's another way that I can confirm your identity. Let

me ask you the secret identity question. What is the color of your fire

truck ?

FIREFIGHTER: "Yellow."

ON-STAR: "I'm sorry sir....That's not what we have in our records. You'll have to

call me back with the correct account number or tell me that you've

painted your fire truck red. Goodbye."

FIREFIGHTER: "()$<?#<#(#(* !

It's all in the spec. I think Pleasantville's new Ferraras have locks on the compartments and the cab. I have also seen some Seagraves with it also.

Edited by grumpyff

I think its a matter of choice really. I mean, if your rig carries medic supplies then the compartment that has that equipment and medicine in it should have locks on it, no questions asked.

But why should you have locks on the doors? Are you in a high crime area where you fear that equipment may get stolen? That is an obvious consideration. I think the big cities like NYC started to put locks on the trucks mainly to the the stealing of brass back in the day since it was expensive and the resell price was high, amongst other things.

Personally I don't think that we should have to put locks on any trucks and people should be honest but unfortunately, this is the day and age we live in and people will take anything.

It is something (like everything else) that has to be written into your specs.

Our new engine had locks on all four cab doors. Every exterior compartment is lockable too. We even have a locking "gun box" under the driver's seat so if we don't lock up the rig we can at least throw our own keys, phones, wallets, etc. in here and lock it. Comes in handy on FAST calls when we park out of the way and don't have someone to babysit the rig.

In the past year or so I remember a firetruck was driven away at a firescene in mt vernon by a resident of the house on fire.

I think just like ambulances fire vehicles should all be outfitted with locks, many ambulances now have secret switches to unlock the doors and compartments without the keys, this would solve the "onstar" problem above.

It's all in the spec. I think Pleasantville's new Ferraras have locks on the compartments and the cab.  I have also seen some Seagraves with it also.

http://www.emtbravophotos.com/NewDeliverie...aconRescue.html

City of Beacon's new Rescue 1, a 2006 Pierce Enforcer, has locks on all compartment doors and on the cab doors as well. One compartment is locked at all times due to the fact, I was told, that one particular item has "walked off" several times, and only the on-duty career FF has the keys for the rig.

Edited by xfirefighter484x

This is something we really should look into adding. As for the neighborhood, we had a coat and helmet stolen out of our engine while the crew was on an EMS call, on a quiet side street. It can and will happen.

coat and helmet stolen? I can top that-HOW ABOUT A 95' AERIAL PLATFORM !!!

coat and helmet stolen? I can top that-HOW ABOUT A 95' AERIAL PLATFORM !!!

haha yea that would be Mt. Vernon's aieral. Nothing you can do when a truck is on the fire scene though. You need to be able to put the truck in and out of pump or put the aieral up ect. If you start locking rigs on calls when you need somthing it would be a dash to find who has the keys. I guess you just have to hope the public has respect for the department and that you are protecting the streets they live on.

I have seen a few rigs with lock options. One I really liked was with "secret button" on the pump panel to unlock. Pierces ne Velocity offers keyless entry as well.

Arrow

I would think that this is what we pay insurance for?

I would think that this is what we pay insurance for?

Prevention keeps your premium payment low. smile.gif

Arrow

Ouch! Talk about grand theft auto!

Reminds me a little of when New Canaan unit 64 went on a joy ride...I think they found it in Pennsylvania...but they got it back.

Pleasantville's new rigs both have locks on all cab doors and compartment doors. We onlyk them at parades and other events like t we leave the trucks un attended for a period of time. The chief's and drivers and most oficers have keys to the doors and they lock them so that there is noone there without the keys. And yes we put them in our spec. If you don't ask for them you will not get them.