Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Sliding Poles

15 posts in this topic

Just curious- are there any Firehouses in the Westchester County area that still have sliding poles that they use actively??? How about poles that are still there, but not used?

Also, were there a lot of departments that even had poles at one time or another? I'd assume the volunteer houses would have no use for them, since they responded from home.....so they probaly were mostly in career houses?

SETH

PEEKSKILL CORTLANDT HOOK & LADDER HAS A POLE I THINK IT'S STILL USED CURRENTLY

I know YFD Station 12 has one, and I don't think it's currently used anymore.

I had heard a while back that they weren't really used anymore for safety reasons. Too many people falling off them or sliding down ontop of another guy/gal. Heresay of course. MMV

Riverside Hose in Tarrytown home of Engine 80 has a pole. They have a rather large meeting room/rec room above the apparatus, and have a pole that comes down from that room into the apparatus room. But the hole in the floor is sealed up with a sheet of Plywood stained to match the floor. But the pole is still there.

Port Chester HQ and the old South Main St. firehouse use to have them but they were removed in the late 1940's for two reasons, the accidents & shennanigans and they were taking up to much room for the larger rigs that were coming in after the war.

Peekskill Cortlandt Hook & Ladder (TL-45, PFD HQ) does still use their pole.

we had 2 of them in my firehouse when i was in the airforce,we didn't use them because if they had finger prints on them we would have to polish them! method of polishing was to take the haeviest firefighter and have him go down the pole with brasso in his hands,then the next heaviest guy would go down with a clean rag<typical GOV'T JOB!

I know a certain unnamed firehouse in CT that has 5 of them, and another that has 1.

I think Hays Hose in P'ville has a pole. I don't think it's in use. The main reason that poles ar not around anymore is they have been outlawed in a sense by OSHA. Your pretty much sliding at your own risk if there is still one out there. I would imagine that a pole would still be in use in either setting vol or paid if the down room was on the second floor. They don't HAVE to be an access from the bunk room.

The Pole in Fairview was used for many years at HQ'S.

It was removed during the 1990 renovation so drive thur bays could be built.

The Brass pole was placed in storage at sta 2.

Earlier this year ,it was cleaned and a section was donated to the MARIA FARERI CHILDREN 'S HOSPITAL at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla.The Fairview FD Pole is now on display for the kids along with the Cab of an E-One pumper inside on the Second floor of the Hospital. Greenburgh Firefighters were part of a ceremony when the construction was almost complete. The Fire pole was donated at that time.

...something OSHA didn't think of. Can anyone tell me why some 1 floor fire houses have sliding poles?

I think there is a law prohibiting a firehouse from having an operational fire pole while alcohol can be obtained in the same house. Does anyone know the facts on that?

...something OSHA didn't think of. Can anyone tell me why some 1 floor fire houses have sliding poles?

If it's 1 floor why would you need a pole? :D

I know a few places that have sliding poles but they are not firehouse's. haha

I know a few places that have sliding poles but they are not firehouse's. haha

Exactly. My friend's dept has one for that specific reason...lol.