Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CM36

Best Firehouse in Westchester

46 posts in this topic

It really doesn't matter what the building looks like, It matters what comes out of the building, That is what makes a Firehouse. :wink:

It really doesn't matter what the building looks like, It matters what comes out of the building, That is what makes a Firehouse. :wink:

While philisophically that may be true, this forum and this thread are about firehouses. Yes, aesthetics and function of a firehouse structure DOES matter, and that is the point of this discussion.

My favorite newest nicest firehouse id the southmainfire house in portchester on Grace church street It holds E-63 E-61 and U-65

Have to say Ossining FD "North Side" is the best!! Was on a cover assignment while OFD was tending to there LODD ceremony, and definitely enjoyed their quarters. Thanks for the great hospitality and keep us in mind when you get your next 10-75. From your boyz at our "Northside Powerhouse" Engine 119'er.

What about Ossining's new house for Rescue 14 and Ladder 41? Any info on the toys inside?

Mount Vernon Station #4

9-11 Oak Street

Still has the old horse hitches on the tin ceiling

Here's some love for those up north. That wonderful 85 room mansion that South Salem rolls out of. Also lots of property alongside for drills and training. There is to the naked eye no lack of space there.

As for the nicest house in the county I would say it would be between Rye "Milton Hilton" and Purchase F.D. The nicest old house I have to say is my house, Eastchester's station 4 Union Corners Engine & Hose Co. 4 ( Engine 30) Its old and a bit beaten up but it has a lot of charm!

Riverside Hose (Eng. 80's) House on the corner of White and Franklin St.'s can definitly go on this list, still has original "Fire Pole". Also Sleepy Hollow FD Headquarters on Beekman Ave.& West Harrision's HQ on Lake is also pretty nice.

yonker engine 310 and engine 306

Armonk's new FH is one of the tops in the county. Plenty of space and well thought out for the future.

I would say station#2 in White Plains rates pretty high, it does not get any state of the art than that. It has 2 large bays in the front but in the back there are 4 bays so you can house extra equipment. Armonks is the best looking fire house in westchester, it must be the largest in the county. Lake Carmel and Garrison in Putnam County have state of the art fire stations. Mt Vernon, New Rochelle, and Yonkers have the more classic looking fire houses and thats just fine.

In terms of a traditional firehouse, Sleepy Hollow's Station 2 would be at the top of the list. It is home to Rescue Hose Co. No. 1 - "The First at the Worst" - Engine 85. Still has a brass fire pole, ticker tape alarm system, original 1927 alarm board, tin ceiling in the apparatus floor and the original 4 panel side-opening doors. The second floor has been named "The Temple" and is packed with memorabilia all the way from the company's inception in 1887. :)

Hastings Hook and Ladder Co. has a nice old looking building.......when was it built?