Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Defunct Ambulance & EMS Agencies

58 posts in this topic

Let's see how many now-defunct EMS agencies or ambulance agencies we can list.

Please give details or dates if you have them.

AAA Ambulance (Yonkers)

Park Ambulance (Yonkers)

Metropolitan (Before Merger)

Transcare (1st Version)

Yonkers Volunteer Ambulance

Weren't AAA and Park both absorbed by other companies??? Does that count as defunct?

Is an agency defunct when they can't get an ambulance out the door for a first call more than 40 hours a week?

Sloper-Willen (Wappingers area) Absorbed by Alamo rolleyes.gif in 2004 I believe. May have been late 2003. Since being 'absorbed' most of the contracts that sloper had at the time are now covered by other agencies.

A-1? I remember seeing them around and didn't hear many nice things of what happened to their remaining employees when they bowed out.

Sloper-Willen (Wappingers area)  Absorbed by Alamo  rolleyes.gif in 2004 I believe. May have been late 2003.  Since being 'absorbed' most of the contracts that sloper had at the time are now covered by other agencies.

A-1?  I remember seeing them around and didn't hear many nice things of what happened to their remaining employees when they bowed out.

Yup, A1's license was bought by another company (TransCare perhaps?) in the late 90's.

I figured you'd know. wink.gif

I just couldn't remember. Just some of the stories of "compensation" for paychecks that couldn't be cashed.

Stamford Volunteer Ambulance Corps

Stamford FD EMS

Abbey Richmond

Community Medical Transport

Mount Vernon FD Ambulance (?)

Just some more I could think of....

SUNY Maritime College Rescue Squad (dispanded)

Riverbay (Co-Op City)

A-1 Ambulance (Stamford)

Ace Ambulance (Fairfield)

Glenbrook FD Ambulance (Stamford)

Springdale FD Ambulance (Stamford)

Bridgeport Ambulance

And if we really want to take a trip in the wayback machine:

Stamford Hospital Ambulance (disbanded around the 1930's I think)

A-1 Ambulance Northern Westchester, Bought out by Community Medical Transport (CMT) in 1996 and along with Hudson Valley Ambulance (Rockland) Now Out of business (2000 or there about)

Ned.

Ned, you missed a step. Wasn't A-1 bought out by Freedom to become A-1 Freedon??

Nationwide and American Ambulance and one other merged to make Lifleline in the mid 90's

Riverbay (Co-Op City)

SUNY Maritime College Rescue Squad was dispanded by the great administration of the school feeling that it was too costly to run. aka it wasn't making money for the administration and provided a FREE service to the cadets run by the cadets and also a liablity issue when it was cover by the state.

Riverbay (Co-Op City)

SUNY Maritime College Rescue Squad was dispanded by the great administration of the school feeling that it was too costly to run. aka it wasn't making money for the administration and provided a FREE service to the cadets run by the cadets and also a liablity issue when it was cover by the state.

St. Lukes Hospital Ambulance (Newburgh)

Horton Hospital Ambulance (Middletown)

City of Newburgh VAC

St. Joseph Hospital Ambulance

St. John's Riverside Ambulance

Lawrence Hospital Ambulance

Yonkers Volunteer Ambulance Corp

Mount Vernon FD Ambulance (?)

Just some more I could think of....

You are correct. It was Rescue 2. MV numbering system not county. Disbanded sometime in the 80's.

You are correct.  It was Rescue 2.  MV numbering system not county.  Disbanded sometime in the 80's.

It was disbanded in the early-mid 80's and the ambulance was given to the contract holder Affiliated who used it for several years after.

Speaking of Affiliated, did someone mention them already?

AA (Used to have the Yonkers EMS contract and EMT's wore PINK shirts, before Abbey Richmond got the contract in 1982. Also got the contract back in the years between Abbey and Empress.)

City Island VAC

Harrison Police (1 cop driving, no one in back with the patient, as late as the early 80's.)

Mt. Vernon Hospital (Security guards ran the bus)

New Rochelle Hospital (MD residents rode with 2 ambulance employees)

Mt. Pleasant Police ("stretcher car")

New York Ambulance

Metropolitan Ambulance

(I believe NY Amb. & Metro morphed into Transcare in a roundabout way.)

Regional EMS (Transports out of New Ro in the 90's)

Sloper-Willen (Wappingers area)  Absorbed by Alamo  rolleyes.gif in 2004 I believe. May have been late 2003.  Since being 'absorbed' most of the contracts that sloper had at the time are now covered by other agencies.

Whaddya think ALS? We can bring it back! Pleasure to work with ya back in the day... we really ripped it up huh!?!

Oh and how's about;

1st Senate

CMT

Hudson Valley Ambulance

New Windsor

Edited by Turborich

Seeing the Mt Pleasant listing I forgot this one:

Stamford Police Accident Car (old Chevy Suburban with a Stretcher and Port-A-Power) which went out of service sometime in the 1970's.

I actually have a patch from Regional, they went Bankrupt in Late 2001 or Early 2002, I have a friend who worked there until the end. I know they were at the World Trade Center on 9/11/01.

Whaddya think ALS? We can bring it back! Pleasure to work with ya back in the day... we really ripped it up huh!?!

Oh and how's about;

1st Senate

CMT

Hudson Valley Ambulance

New Windsor

Isn't New Windsor back? I thought I read in the paper they were. I thought the town supervisor did away with them and once he was voted out they came back.

???

Arrow

Isn't New Windsor back? I thought I read in the paper they were. I thought the town supervisor did away with them and once he was voted out they came back.

???

Arrow

Oh IDK if it's a new thing.. I just remembered they were disbanded a few years back last I'd heard, Oh well...

Here are the facts about New Windsor VAC:

A few years ago, the Town of New Windsor Supervisor locked NWVAC out of their building which was actually owned by the Town. NWVAC still existed as an agency, but they were out of service because they had no HQ to operate out of, no way to get dispatched and no way to respond. A private for-profit EMS agency was brought in by Town Supervisor George Meyers to handle all of the EMS calls in New Windsor.

During this time, NWVAC held meetings of their Board & Membership at the Cornwall Volunteer Ambulance HQ. Their vehicles and equipment were stored at the Quality Auto Body Shop on the Town of Montgomery at no charge.

NWVAC figured out a plan to reorganize and get back into service. When election time came, a former Town Supervisor, George Green ran against George Meyers and won by over 200 votes. Green had promised NWVAC and the public that he would get NWVAC back in service.

In 2/06 NWVAC returned to their HQ and went back in service. They have been in service since then and they have responded to over 1200 calls.

They have a paid Chief & paid Assistant Chief who run all of the operations. The contract that NWVAC has for these paid guys gives them a nice salary that includes overtime, medical benefits, unlimited sick days and a vehicles assigned to them. They both have Chevy Tahoe fly cars with unlimited mileage.

During the hours of 6am-6pm Monday-Friday, there is a primary crew on duty staffed by two EMTs from Regional EMS. There is also a backup crew on duty made up of two volunteers or the paid Chief or Asst. Chief. There is one Regional EMT on for the daytime during the weekend. All other shifts are covered by volunteers or the paid Chief/Asst. Chief. There is a volunteer Field Supervisor who helps oversee day to day operations. They have a Board of Directors made up of volunteer members. The Board oversees the Chief & Asst. Chief and negotiates their contracts.

Regional EMS is now the ALS provider for the Town of New Windsor. They respond to all ALS jobs in the Town. NWVAC bills for all of the calls (ALS & BLS) that they respond to in the Town. They give Regional a flat rate for all ALS calls. This way of billing ensures that medicare patients do not get a bill from the non-transporting agency. NWVAC & Regional are dispatched by the Town of New Windsor PD.

NWVAC now operates 4 ambulances & a Special Operations vehicle used for Fire Rehab and any other large scale incident in the Town.

Prior to getting shut down by the former Town Supervisor, NWVAC was an EMT-I certified agency with the NYS DOH. When they came back into service last year, they came back as EMT-Basic only. They are currently working on getting their Paramedic Certification. Their goal is to be full ALS sometime in 2008. Regional EMS is assisting NWVAC in any way they can to help them become an ALS agency. The paid Chief is already a Paramedic, the paid Assistant Chief currently holds EMT-I certification and is currently in Paramedic school. When they go ALS, they will hire some more Paramedics to provide 24/7 ALS services.

NWVAC is run in very professional manner. They frequently get 3-4 buses on the road for jobs. Since they came back into service they have only had to call for mutual aid 5 times. This was because all of their buses were out on other jobs.

Metro North Ambulance & United Ambulance (Now part of Transcare)

Freedom Ambulance (Out of Morris St - Yonkers?)

Yonkers Police Ambulance

Didn't MetroCare operate the Regional buses for a while including NYC 911?

Scarsdale PD also had an stretcher car - i seem to remember both station wagons and possibly a suburban.

The Harrison PD had 2 low top Ford van ambulances - 1 used right up until the start of Harrison VAC, now Harrion EMS in '83. In fact one of them was handed over to the VAC, rehabbed, and used as 3rd/4th due for a few years. I think the 2nd was wrecked or scrapped, and never given to the VAC.

Here are the facts about New Windsor VAC:

A few years ago, the Town of New Windsor Supervisor locked NWVAC out of their building which was actually owned by the Town. NWVAC still existed as an agency, but they were out of service because they had no HQ to operate out of, no way to get dispatched and no way to respond. A private for-profit EMS agency was brought in by Town Supervisor George Meyers to handle all of the EMS calls in New Windsor.

During this time, NWVAC held meetings of their Board & Membership at the Cornwall Volunteer Ambulance HQ. Their vehicles and equipment were stored at the Quality Auto Body Shop on the Town of Montgomery at no charge.

NWVAC figured out a plan to reorganize and get back into service. When election time came, a former Town Supervisor, George Green ran against George Meyers and won by over 200 votes. Green had promised NWVAC and the public that he would get NWVAC back in service.

In 2/06 NWVAC returned to their HQ and went back in service. They have been in service since then and they have responded to over 1200 calls.

They have a paid Chief & paid Assistant Chief who run all of the operations. The contract that NWVAC has for these paid guys gives them a nice salary that includes overtime, medical benefits, unlimited sick days and a vehicles assigned to them. They both have Chevy Tahoe fly cars with unlimited mileage.

During the hours of 6am-6pm Monday-Friday, there is a primary crew on duty staffed by two EMTs from Regional EMS. There is also a backup crew on duty made up of two volunteers or the paid Chief or Asst. Chief. There is one Regional EMT on for the daytime during the weekend. All other shifts are covered by volunteers or the paid Chief/Asst. Chief. There is a volunteer Field Supervisor who helps oversee day to day operations. They have a Board of Directors made up of volunteer members. The Board oversees the Chief & Asst. Chief and negotiates their contracts.

Regional EMS is now the ALS provider for the Town of New Windsor. They respond to all ALS jobs in the Town. NWVAC bills for all of the calls (ALS & BLS) that they respond to in the Town. They give Regional a flat rate for all ALS calls. This way of billing ensures that medicare patients do not get a bill from the non-transporting agency. NWVAC & Regional are dispatched by the Town of New Windsor PD.

NWVAC now operates 4 ambulances & a Special Operations vehicle used for Fire Rehab and any other large scale incident in the Town.

Prior to getting shut down by the former Town Supervisor, NWVAC was an EMT-I certified agency with the NYS DOH. When they came back into service last year, they came back as EMT-Basic only. They are currently working on getting their Paramedic Certification. Their goal is to be full ALS sometime in 2008. Regional EMS is assisting NWVAC in any way they can to help them become an ALS agency. The paid Chief is already a Paramedic, the paid Assistant Chief currently holds EMT-I certification and is currently in Paramedic school. When they go ALS, they will hire some more Paramedics to provide 24/7 ALS services.

NWVAC is run in very professional manner. They frequently get 3-4 buses on the road for jobs. Since they came back into service they have only had to call for mutual aid 5 times. This was because all of their buses were out on other jobs.

rolleyes.gif Yeah so in other words, my bad...

Metro North Ambulance & United Ambulance (Now part of Transcare)

Freedom Ambulance (Out of Morris St - Yonkers?)

Yonkers Police Ambulance

Didn't MetroCare operate the Regional buses for a while including NYC 911?

Freedom became CMT. Metro/Transcare never took over the buses of Regional, they took over the NYC 911 contracts that Regional had before it closed, namely Mt. Sinai and NYU.