Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
STAT213

Bye Bye E - 450

31 posts in this topic

Heard from someone who works for AEV that Ford has ceased production of the Econoline (E Series) chassis completely. He said they have something like 20 left to build, then no more.

Anyone else heard this, or have thoughts?

I certainly hope that more people don't lean towards monster chassis like the Int'l. Those things are a menace to EMS.

Wow, I can't see that being true. Maybe it's just AEV that's ending production on Ford chasis?

The Econoline is one of Ford's "rocks", a mainstay of their brand and the chasis has many loyal users. Like the Ford Crown Victoria and Ford Expedition, numerous agencies and companies depend on those vehicles.

I remember hearing a while ago Ford wanted to replace the Econoline with a "European" type van, meaning something like a Dodge Sprinter. The concept name was "Ford Transit"

The last "freshesning" of the Econoline was when they went with the new grill design and engine (2004?) which I still think looks pretty good.

It's still listed with Ford in their 2007 lineup, but I wonder how long the current Econoline willl last

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/2007fle...-eseriescut.asp

Edited by x635

Yeah, I was pretty shocked to hear it too. He was pretty insistent though, saying that Ford is ditching the whole line, and that AEV only had access to 20 more E series chassis.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Any comparison model that can be used for replacement? I'm surprised also, I figured being it such a popular chassis that it would live forever.

Any comparison model that can be used for replacement?  I'm surprised also, I figured being it such a popular chassis that it would live forever.

My AEV buddy said its now gonna be Chevy, Dodge or GMC. No more Fords.

I bet there was a lot of similar discussion and surprise when Chevy dropped the caprice...

As of right now, there is no press release from Ford's corporate website about engine the E-450 series line. Ford has revamped lines before so this could be the case, or not. Don't listen o the rumor mill until its released as fact. It could be that AEV is no longer offering Ford Trucks in its own ambulance models.

I get newsletters from Ford so I'll keep an eye out and post what ever info I get.

I heard the same thing about the Ford E-450 last week. I do not know why Ford would do away with this vehicle/chassis for ambulances. It is the most popular make/model for ambulances.

I have also heard numerous problems with the Ford 6.0 liter diesel motor. After speaking with a salesman for Horton and AEV I was told that the 6.0 is going to be discontinued and a new diesel motor that is compliant with the new EPA standards will be put into the 2008 Ford vehicles. Ford is supposedly paying fines because they should be in compliance with the EPA standards, but they are not in compliance.

Another issue brought to light by a commercial service in my area was the problem with delamination of the fuel tanks on the diesel models. The coating inside the tank is breaking down, mixing with the fuel and clogging one of the two fuel filters. This has caused vehicles to not start because the fuel supply is being cut off by the clogged filter. Once the vehicles sit for a while, the sludge goes back into the tank and they vehicle will start. After a while this happens again. This commercial service also advised me that some of this sludge made it into the fuel injectors and in turn the motor was rendered inoperable. Ford has denied that there is a problem and they are not doing a recall. This commercial service has had to replace two motors already. Ford told them that the diesel fuel sold in NY may have caused the problem. What is difference between diesel fuel in NY and fuel from a different state.

You can see a sneak peak of the e series if you type in 2008 ford e-series on google. It looks like the front will be more like the pickup, with a large silver grille. They have not shown the official design yet, but apparently it will look more "truck" like.

As for the vans..... I'd be really dissapointed if Ford axed the van lineup. I'm a little confused... Are they just getting rid of the E-450 or are they doing away with the entire Econoline from the E-150 on up. What about their commercial super heavy duty van line-up (E-450 & E-550?) that come with the black fender flairs and the slightly raised ride heights... Are they going too.... I don't follow vans much... Below however is the next gen info as I've recieved it for the new diesel...

The new Ford diesel will be a twin turbo International-Harvester Built (like it is now) next generation Navistar V-8. I'll make around 400hp and almost 700lbft of torque as of press time on the preliminary unveiling.

I've owned both of the previous generation single turbo Navistars and never had any trouble. In fact I'd say the 7.3L may be the best I've ever driven especially after adding a chip, new up-pipe from the manifold to the turbo, and a turbo-back exhaust. The 6.0L I thought could have made more power (even though stock it made more power than the 7.3L) down low for pulling an 18,000 pound 5th wheel trailer.

FYI - The new Cummins option for 2007 Ram's is up from 5.9L to 6.7L and now makes 350hp and 650lbft of torque. A 6speed auto now replaces the 4speed as the automatic option on rigs with a Cummins plant in them.

Edited by mfc2257

I can't imagine that AEV would be the one dropping the E series. I think they have an exclusive contract with AMR to build ambulances (or at least did) which have only ever been on E-350/450 chassis and I can't imagine them wanting to give that up cause I sure don't see AMR going to medium duty trucks. I have NO info one way or the other but I would gather that if AEV says the E series is going away its Ford stopping production and not just AEV not using them anymore.

Ford is not ceasing production of the E-Series; my department is in the process of bidding on 2 new rigs, and every single manufacturer stated that they have orders going into 2008 for trucks built on the E-Series chassis.

just spoke to a friend at one of the ambulance mfg. - the F 450 will stay - with a new 5.5 L diesel coming out - it meets emission standards

the e series will no longer have a diesel as the new one wont fit under the sheet metal

there is story of a GAS!!!???!!! E450 ambulance package in the works, he tells me

so, the e450 diesel ambulance is a thing of the past, with any available stock to be bought up in the next couple of days

is a gas ambulance even worth it?

bring back the old gas buses. Wanted to clear a crowd off a corner...pump the pedal and start her up. BABOOM!! Also great fun into a rigs open doors.

just spoke to a friend at one of the ambulance mfg. - the F 450 will stay - with a new 5.5 L diesel coming out - it meets emission standards

the e series will no longer have a diesel as the new one wont fit under the sheet metal

there is story of a GAS!!!???!!! E450 ambulance package in the works, he tells me

so, the e450 diesel ambulance is a thing of the past, with any available stock to be bought up in the next couple of days

Now that makes sense.

But, it's a stupid move, IMO. I bet GM lost a lost of Suburban sales when they dropped the diesel from it. And a lot of Police Car sales when they dropped the Caprice.

Now that Ford is reportedly dropping the Diesel from the Econoline, I wonder how this will change the ambulance industry? Will Chevrolet continue to have a diesel van chasis?

And what will happen to the van ambulance? I can't imagine some companies with all diesel fleets switching to gas engines.

Edited by x635

Whoops - quick correction to my earlier - the new diesel is a 6.5 not a 5.5 - which makes much more sense - doesn't it?

Oh, and if it matters, my source is with Medtec which is associated with Pierce - both owned by Oshkosh (as is Jerr-Dan wreckers, McNeilus concrete trucks, and a bunch of other interesting stuff, like BAI (Brescia Antincendi International), maker of Italian fire trucks. http://www.oshkoshtruckcorporation.com/

This was found on the Ford fleet web site: E-SERIES 6.0L DIESEL SUPPLY ISSUE

ANNOUNCEMENT

This notice is to inform you of a diesel engine supply issue which affects the 6.0L diesel engine that is currently offered in the E-Series vans, wagons and cutaways. We can no longer accept orders which include this engine. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our dealers, customers, and pool accounts. All orders will show on Material Hold effective Wednesday, February 7th.

Yeah, apparently there were a number of problems with the 6.0 Power Stroke. We had some issues with fuel filters.

So, I guess they aren't ditching the whole econoline series, but no more diesels.

The 6.5 won't fit unto the E series chassis, I guess.

Seth is right, this will change things significantly until they sort it out, if at all.

IMO I bet GM lost a lost of Suburban sales when they dropped the diesel from it. And a lot of Police Car sales when they dropped the Caprice.

FDNY used to use Suburbans for Batt Chief cars and everything else. The Caprice was the best police car ever made.

Yesterday I spoke with our salesman from VCI (dealer for AEV & Horton), he told me that Ford has ceased production of the E series van chassis. He said that they are unsure what the future holds for agencies who signed contracts to have ambulances built on this chassis. He said that AEV made an order a few weeks ago for 400 E series chassis and they are not sure if they are getting them or not. He did say that a gasoline version of some new design of E series van is in the works, but he said that Ford has not provided any further information.

He said it appears that anyone wanting an ambualnce on a van chassis will have to choose either a chevy van or the new gas model E series. Ford is continuing the F series trucks. I am guessing we will be seeing a lot more Type 1 ambulances being build on the F-350 & F-450 chassis as well as the Chevy 4500, International and Freighliner chassis.

Any comparison model that can be used for replacement?  I'm surprised also, I figured being it such a popular chassis that it would live forever.

I guess the only comparable ones would be the Chevy Express or the GMC Savanna. The Dodge Sprinter is the "euro-van" style. Both GM vans offer diesel engines on the cargo and cutaway models.

The Ford Fleet website still lists the E-Series as Ambulance Chassis. It also says that it has been the full size van leader since 1979. Something about this doesn't make sense. I can't see why Ford would drop the E-Series unless they were in fact going to go with the "euro-van."

Edited by 23piraf

F ound

O n

R oadside

D ead

Yeah, Ford practically dominates the ambulace manufacturing industry, but not without it's share of problems. In my opinion, Ford simply hasn't adapeted enough to the changing demands of EMS and the frequent rough use of their chasis. Would be nice to see what they have in store next as a replacement chasis. The "Transit" chasis isn't so promising.

I just saw pictures of the 08 E250/E350. Almost NO info associated other than 08 model year. Looked as though they raised the front of the hood a bit (to accomadate diesel maybe). Looks very much like the new F series front. Will try to find a link to the pictures.

I just saw pictures of the 08 E250/E350. Almost NO info associated other than 08 model year. Looked as though they raised the front of the hood a bit (to accomadate diesel maybe). Looks very much like the new F series front. Will try to find a link to the pictures.

EDIT: Found it. 4.6 V8 standard on E 150/250. 5.4 V8 standard on E 350/450 with the 6.8 V10 an option on the E 350/450. There are some pictures on the website. NO mention of a diesel. unsure.gif

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119929

Edited by mesquite5010

Nice looking new design, but what a mistake not making the van to hold the new deisel motor!

It sounds like Ford is flailing around a bit... I know the Powerstroke 6.0 has been a big problem, but I'm shocked that they'd so completely drop the ball on this. I simply CAN'T believe that Ford would jump ship on Diesel vans when they are a mainstay of commercial vehicle sales. Sounds to me like another all too typical Detroit misstep.

As for Van ambulances... am I the only one that noticed that the doors and rear cab lines of the GMC 4500 / 5500 match the GMC van perfectly? I roughly photoshopped something a while ago... It's messy, but makes the point.

Can't help but think that would look good in white with reflective stripes.

post-4921-1173664126.jpg

Oh great, a crossover-van...too many types of vehicles out there...someone get me a hover car, I want to go over the traffic!

As for the E-series, I am somewhat dissapointed. I always like van ambulances. I suggest new contracts pick a mercedes benz chasis like overseas, that would be hot!