Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Briarcliff- New Ladder

49 posts in this topic

Read in the Legal Notices section of the Journal News today that Briarcliff will be issuing a bond in the amount of approx $755,000 for a new ladder truck.

I've heard a rumor that it will be a KME midmount, similar to Fairview Ladder 1 and West Harrison Ladder 9.

Dissapointing. Briarcliff had a niche in the Central Westchester area as having a reasonably sized 100' rear mount. On top of that, it is a beautiful Seagrave. Too bad they're giving into the tower craze as well.

Too bad they're giving into the tower craze as well.

I was thinking the exact same thing...

If that's what they want, that's great! Looking at the bigger picture, it is yet another TL in that Tower heavy area.

The SS's in the northern end of the county are Ossining (2), Mt. Kisco, Yorktown, Mohegan (2), Banksville, North White Plains and Tarrytown.

Towers are in Peekskill, Montrose, Verplanck, Croton, Somers, Bedford Hills, Mount Kisco, Chappaqua, Pleasantville, Thornwood, Hawthorne, Valhalla, Sleepy Hollow, Purchase and West Harrison

Further information.....It's on order, it's gonna be a 2005 KME 95' Midmount NO pump. (Similar to West Harrison and Fairviews, minus the space wasting pump and tank)

In Sunday's Journal News there was an article discussing the old King's College. The new developer reportedly would give $500,000 to the Fire Department towards a new apparatus. Does "anyone in the know" have any idea if that money would help purchase the new "TL40?"

Good luck with the rig, Briarcliff.

Damn thats pretty sweet if its true! I wish some of the developers in Buchanan would throw us some cash lol! Hell, Indian Point is in Buchanan, but in Verplancks district, we even got screwed there! Entergy (owner of Idian Point) picked up the tab, or at least a good ammount of it, on Verplancks TL46 (2002 E-One/Bronto Sky-Lift), which i heard cost approximately $850,000!

Anyway, good luck to Briarcliff with the whole process of getting the new L40 together and on the road! Their current Seagrave straight-stick is a sweet looking rig, anyone know where thats going? Also glad to hear that Briarcliff is going to create a real Truck with no water & no pump...a true truck company =D> ! Let the engine company worry about all the wet stuff lol! Definately can't wait to see this rig, maybe someone will be able to get some in-production photos!

I am from Scarborough Engine Company and I am not sure where that 500,000 is going but E-94 needs to be replaced just as bad as the Ladder but I don't know what the town and fire council have planned.

Ahhh Poor Mike... A quint is where its at

Ladder 47... SWEET!

But in all honesty good luck to Briarcliff with their new ladder truck purchase. Hopefully everything goes well and they get that donation. Sounds pretty sweet :D

Is the TL gonna be WHITE? :)

The last I heard things are moving forward nicely with TL40. I've heard, but will check details, maybe a springtime delivery.

It will be white, but with a red stripe. That will make 5 of 8 rigs in BMFD with redness (53B1&2, E92, R37, and future TL40).

We just had the cab of E93 re-striped and added a colored maltise to the front doors with Engine 93 in goldleaf on the crewcab doors. We decided to put a 4" white reflective stripe on the rig. We think it came out great. Check it out and let us know.

Traditionally Briarcliff's rigs have been all white but recently there has been a push towards incorporating red. E94 will be replaced shortly and will probably have a red stripe so E 93 and Patrol 16 (antique) will end up the last of the all white rigs in the department. Personally I hope we reconsider the striping for 94 and go all white. It's unique and is NFPA compliant.

E94 replacement will be in '05-'06 municipal budget. Target Mfg. is Seagrave - look for a late '06 to mid '07 delivery. That will make the current E94, 26 years old.

As for TL40 we've been thinking of slogans:

I like - "TL40 - We look down on everybody"

I've heard "TL40 - It might be white, but it's huge!" :yikes:

DC

I've heard "TL40 - It might be white, but it's huge!"  :yikes: 

DC

Good luck trying to get that on the rig.

By the way what is the deal with the tower ladder craze any reason why every department thinks they need one?

I think it has something to do with testosterone.... :workout:

Actually the salesmen do a great job of up selling the need. It is a pretty compelling argument for a platform, but eventually we'll be fresh out of straight sticks in the area.

Long term I'd like to see a straight stick "Quint" out of the west side in Briarcliff at some point. Truth be told re-combining with Archville and putting a "Quint" there would be heaven on earth. But I don't think we'll see something like that happen too soon.

DC

Actually, I'm not with the Ladder Co. in the BMFD so I'm not privy to the decision making that went into it. But I do know that the kicked that question around quite a bit before deciding to go with a TL. I believe safety for the members a major consideration. Also versatility of TL ops and proximity of the Ossining stick sealed the deal.

Good Luck with the new Tower Ladder.

If I could offer a word of caution though if you have any steep hills, the rear of the truck likes to bottom out. I know they have changed some of the design issues in regards to this, but I would still be cautious. Trust me from personal experience... the chief wasnt happy.. :oops:

Apparently they've looked at the trickiest hills with the KME rep and driven them in a TL and are comfortable. Although we know there will be a learning curve. Thanks for you best wishes....

Cant blame the KME rep for the terrain, they were great with us when they deliverd both pieces of apparatus ( eng and TL ), and when the TL got damaged.

Let me jump in on the new KME TL40.

The truck will be a KME 95' mid mount in white with red strip as Doug e had mentioned. We are expecting delivery in April, 05. Briarcliff presented some unique challenges for a truck of this size, one mentioned are the steep hills. To mediate that, we had the rear of the truck redesigned with a steeper angle off the back wheels to eliminate the potential for bottoming out.

Bob O'Hanlon

Briarlciff Manor Hook & Ladder Co

2nd Lt

There were a number of considerations that went into deciding on a TL vs stick

Member safety was of paramont concern but other factors were involved.

Our village contains assisted care facilities, nursing homes and the Kings College property with have a large scale facility as well. Evacuation of elderly patients using a stick is a tricky and challenging operation, not to mention the pure fear these people would have going down a stick. A tower ladder just made more sense for this purpose.

Bob O'Hanlon

Briarcliff Manor Hook & Ladder Co

2nd Lt

BOBO- Thanks for the clarification. We're all excited to see this rig arrive in the village. You guys did a lot of work on the planning and spec's. and deserve accolades. =D>

Can't wait for a ride... :D/

I have found out that this new Ladder is going to be on a KME Predator chasis, which is cool because I haven't seen a KME Midmount on a Predator chasis before.

Lucky for us that if you ever need a stick real quick, O-Town has 2 of em!

Or Buchanan....

Oh, wait - nevermind. Nothing personal Bucktown, just trying to get a laugh

Hey smart move going with a true truck. no pump is the way to go. why tie up all that comparment space with a pump. If its that bad that your going to flow water through it there will be plenty of engines around to supply you anyways. You donn't need to be a hose joky if your riding a truck anyways. certain pieces do certain jobs.

Just curious did you guys look at an aerial scope at all?

Why does Buchanan need a ladder? you already have 2 ladders less then a mile down the road each direction. Buying another Ladder in that area would just be a total waist of the taxpayers money. nothing against the maroon platoon but lets use some common sence here.

In reply to X635's post a while back... did some hunting around and found that an up-state department South Schenectady Fire Dept. has a KME Predator 95' midmount....check it out....sweet looking truck...Also can see in the pictures how much space the pump on this truck takes up and how much valuable compartment space is lost....

http://www.ssfd.net/apparatus.htm

good luck on the new laddder no matter what model it is i bet it will still look good all i have to say is DONT GET A SUTHPEN TOWER LADDDER they are junk we have one my truck TL2 and they are nice looking but they suck in maintaince wise wen ladder 31 gets back in a few day finally after 6 months tower is going out for aalong time because aliment box and proximity alarm have not worked since we got the truck whatever you do dont go with a suthpen my choice would be the kme if i had a say they are great

The new tower ladder 40 is in final production and is finally taking shape. Expected delivery date is in mid April, The only major component left to go on the truck is the ladder section.

If ya check the spy shots on section--included in the Putnam Valley posting are a few pics of the rig--and the ladder which as of 4-1-05 were not yet joined.