Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kfire94

Who Has Dive Teams In Westchester?

39 posts in this topic

I know Yorktown, somers and I believe Greenburgh PD has one is there anyone else in westchester that has a active dive team or is starting one.

As far as I know, Greenburgh PD doesnt have a dive team, just a marine unit. However, Mt. Pleasant PD does have a dive team. I also believe that Irvington FD has divers, not sure.

Mt Pleasant PD does have a Dive Team. We have been called out to Mamaroneck and Yonkers in the past three weeks. Of course it is always when it is cold outside. Croton on Hudson PD has a dive team as well and I heard that New Rochelle Pd might have started theirs back up. I know they were interested in training with us a couple of months back. Hope that helped you out. If anyone is interested I have some pictures.

Just curious, what would be involved to start a dive team, other than having a certified diver.

Are there courses available for special ops under ice or extreme condidtions that may exist? What specialized equipment would be needed to safely develope a team, how much would it cost and what would be a minimum dive team?

Somers has a Dive Team as does Mahopac Falls VFD in Putnam County

Bedford Fire Department has an active dive team, with monthly drills and training. From what I can recall from our biggest dive call ever this past summer, dive teams from Somers, Yorktown, Long Ridge, Stamford, Greenwich, Mt. Pleasant, and New York State were called in along with multiple marine units.

Edited by BedfordFire

Think Tarrytown has one.

Tarrytown doesnt have a dive team, unless I missed something while I've been at school.

Just curious, what would be involved to start a dive team, other than having a certified diver. 

Are there courses available for special ops under ice or extreme condidtions that may exist?  What specialized equipment would be needed to safely develope a team, how much would it cost and what would be a minimum dive team?

You would need more than one certified diver to start up a dive team. Having been involved in a fire department dive team, you need a minimum two divers at any call and that's bare minimum. You need a search diver and a backup (safety) diver. Additionally, tenders are needed along with ems personnel.

The big difference between recreation diving and emergency diving is utilization of the divers. In recreation diving your diving with a buddy. The way our dive team was set up, one diver does a search pattern in a given area attached to a tag line where there is a tender on shore (or in a boat). The tender is your "buddy" in this case and you communicate back and forth with pull signals on the rope. In addition to the search diver and the tender, there needs to be a back up diver geared up and ready to go. This way is the search diver gets in trouble, the back up can follow the line right to him. That's three personnel in operation mode.

From EMS, we required one ambulance committed to any dive operation. This is just for the team. Diving in the northeast usually required 8 mil or better wet suits which are fairly constrictive. Due to this, and other reasons (breathing compressed air at depth), divers are required to get checked out before suiting up and after dressing down.

Other personnel needed for a dive scene include those needed to operate effectively under NIMS.

Dive classes needed, bare minimum is PADI open water diver, advanced open water recommended. On top of those there are specialty courses such as dry suit, ice diving, rescue diving, night diving.

Once you have established group of divers and a functional team, I highly recommend getting Walt "Butch" Hendricks of Lifeguard Systems to give a class. He's located in the Hurley/Shokan area of Ulster County.

One thing to keep in mind, starting a dive team is an expensive endeavor. The cost of the open water course alone is $200-$300 (if memory serves me right). Then there's the cost of equipment which can exceed well over $1000 minimum per set for each diver. That just includes, mask, fins, snorkel, BC device, tank, regulators, weights and wet suits. To operate year round you will need dry suits and I would recommend cold water suits for support personnel on shore.

Then there's other equipment that's needed such as ropes, pfd's (personal flotation device) for any one (other than geared up divers) near the water.

If I had to give a number for start up costs for a functioning team I would say $20,000 would be a good start.

I believe DEP Police have one as well.

tarrytown fd does not have one but irvington fd does have one ??

Irvington FD has a dive team. Truck6018 hit most of the basic points of operation, especially the cost! Like all other specialized technical rescue teams dive rescue can get costly. After the initial startup of our team in the 80's using basic recreational equipment the team moved next level of equipment using Viking dry suits and AGA masks. This allows us to dive year round in cold water and in contaminated environments. We train once or twice a month, in the winter we use Hackley pool and the summer we train in the Irvington Reservoir, Hudson River and other bodies of water in the Greenburg area. In addition to basic and advanced recreational certification all of our divers have minimum of Dive Rescue I. Once you get a basic dive team started there are numerous opportunities to advance into specialized fields including current diving, ice diving and hazmat diving.

As for training and info on starting a team, Dive Rescue International is the leader in providing training and equipment for public safety divers. We've hosted our own Dive Rescue course, purchase training material and equipment from them. I would highly recommend going to their site and contacting them if you are trying to start a team. They cover all aspects of rescue diver and non-diver programs. www.diverescueintl.com

I’d also be happy to help give you more info about our team in Irvington. You can contact me via PM.

I know Yorktown, somers and I believe Greenburgh PD has one is there anyone else in westchester that has a active dive team or is starting one.

Irvington does have a dive team

Larchmont VAC Started a Team a while back. I dont believe it is still active at this time though.

We also used Butch Hendrick from Lifeguard Systems in Ulster County for our training. He provided good training and I as well would recommend his group if you are seriously looking into putting a team together.

We had a guy that thought he needed to wear his Rolex while we were training and Butch didnt think so, so he took it off the guy and threw it into the murky Long Island Sound about 30 feet off the dock we were using. With Blacked out masks and using tethered search patterns we found the watch. That made a statement.

This what I can tell you about the Mt Pleasant Dive Team since I have been a member since 2001.

There are currently 8 members on the team. All are certified divers with many of us having many more certifications. I was a NYS Paramedic for a long time before I bacame a LEO and they asked me to join because of that EMS experience. I then went out and got my certification. I can tell you it is the best thing in the world being underwater. However when we train it is hard work and there really is no room for screwing around. We have a good time but we act professional.

We have all taken Dive Rescue 1. We have all taken Underwater Crime Scene 1 which is like Dive Rescue 1 or 2. Some have taken Ice Water/diving rescue and the rest of will take that soon hopefully. We all can operate the boats and any other equipment that we have.

We are also the ONLY DIVE TEAM in the area and I think out of 3 in the state to have SIDE SCAN SONAR. We have all been certified on how to use that as well. Some of us are more computer literate than others though.

We try and train at least once a month sometimes twice. All of us must get in the water at some point to keep our skills up. We also go to a local pool and practice confidence diving when we can. Meaning we black out our masks and have to swim through obstacles pushing our gear through then putting it back on withough being able to see. This is because you can't see sh*t around here underwater.

Being that we live in a climate area where the water doen't really get that warm we ALL use DRY SUITS. I have never taking that class but learned how to use it. Most of our divers have over 20 diving experience and they are great to learn from.

In the past we have trained with the Irvington FD in the Irvington Reservoir removing a plane. We train with Croton on Hudson a couple of times a year and we were the backup divers to NYSP up in Bedford whent he Teen tipped over in his KYACK. Hope that helped.

You need a minimum of 3 divers ready at all times. One in the water, his/her backup and 90% diver for the backup. That insures that everyone is safe. We also us underwater communications whenever we can so you need a line tender. I wish we had more hands on our team but we get the job done. Be safe.

P.S. I might be forgetting some stuff but if you are interested I have some great pictures on here. Just not sure how to put on EMT Bravo.

I'm impressed with the amount of teams in westchester and equipment available out there.(side scan great tool good to know it's available so close). I'm in the process of starting a team in Putnam Valley it's definitely a big undertaking we got about seven divers all advanced certified and dry suit certified. with some rescue diver I certified hopefully the rest will be certified this spring. we just got the agas with coms very nice. I've been recreacional diving for 20 years I started rescue diving about a year ago. rescue diving is a whole other challenge its like starting all over. After diving the mud holes in this area it's nice to hit the caribbean(going to Cozumel end of april can't wait). Alot of training in the future for us if theres any teams out there looking too do some joint training you can e-mail me at kfire94@aol.com

thanks stay safe

mike

Thanks all for all your great input. I am in the very early stages of proposing a team in our town. We do have a number of divers who have various degrees of experience. I myself have been diving since 1974, althought mostly when I head to clearer water.

Wow I didn't know that there was such an interest in Dive Teams. I don't think that all PD's/FD's should have one though. Biggest problem is the money. As with anything money is a pain in the a** to get. FD's have alot more resources so it should be easier. Most of our gear is our own personal. Not all but most. We do have 4 AGA set ups with comms ready to go at a moment's notice. I personally don't like the AGA because I guess I am not used to "free breathing". If I had some training with a SCBA I think it must be similar.

Rescue diving is VERY MUCH DIFFERENT than recreational and just for that you need to be very picky on who you let on your team. We have requirements on swimming a certain distance with and without fins and some other stuff. Something to think about. I don't care how much someone has experience. Every dive is different.

Take the story of the 4 guys from Jersey that went went to a wreck in Key Largo, Fl. 3 died, the other made it out because he went with his instinct. All the divers were very skilled but according to the article may have been where they shouldn't have been.

KFIRE94. If you ever need something in Putnam feel free to give us a shout. I think the next available Side Scan Sonar is near Buffalo and I think maybe somewhere on LONG ISLAND. You are our neighbors and we like to do it.

I look foward to more on this subject. I would like to know why you think that your AGENCY NEEDS or WANTS A DIVE TEAM. Just out of curiosity. And to see if I am going to lose out on OT. LOL

oneeyedmic Thanks for the offer for service don't be suprised if you get the call (hope its when your off so you get the ot ha!ha!). The reason for the team start is a little want and a little need members(me foremost) wanted to be able to do dive rescue in the event of a water emergencey. I don't believe throwing a scuba tank on and jumping in the water is safe or a smart thing and it doesn't make you a rescue diver it makes you another victim they have to find later on. only with training, drilling and equipment can you preform a safe dive. the need- Putnam Valley is full of lake and ponds every were you turn thats why it's called the town of lakes with the increase of people on the waterways expecially summer weekends the need is there. yes our neighbors Mahopac Falls have a excellent dive team(still will be automatic dispatch)but getting properly trained divers is a must to preform a safe rescue or recovery this might take three or four teams( maybe even Mt.Pleasent). It's about helping people with a rescue or the family's peace of mind through recovery in a safe manner. Be safe out there.

After all this talk about diving and we get called out this morn to go to the Hudson. No luck. Going back on Fri sometime to give it another go.

I agree with all the lakes and stuff in Putnam. There are tons here in Westchester but I also don't agree with someone throwing on a tank and going in the water. It is very dangerours at all times. We would be more than happy to come up there. A couple of our guys live in Carmel so they might know the area.

Has anyone heard or this thing called Murphy's Law? It is new to me. LOL Always happens when you don't want it too. Mr Murphy seems to follow me around.

Thanks all for all your great input.  I am in the very early stages of proposing a team in our town.  We do have a number of divers who have various degrees of experience.  I myself have been diving since 1974, althought mostly when I head to clearer water.

With all that is involved with starting a team and the infrequent (although you'd never know it by Mt. Pleasant's activity lately) responses they have, how can you justify a start-up team in Briarcliff when you've got an experienced team in the next town and two more less than 15 minutes away?

I can understand the desire to have one but is the duplication necessary? Perhaps you could propose joining one of the existing teams and creating a partnership rather than a whole new one?!?!?

This is NOT a shot at Briarcliff - I applaud them for even considering such an endeavor!

So many other guys have already posted about the differences in recreational diving and emergency service diving - it is not the same and not everyone that is a recreational diver belongs under an abandoned pier on the Hudson looking for a body! Yuck!

To summarize, these are the dive teams in Westchester/Putnam:

Irvington FD

Mt Pleasant PD

Yorktown Heights FD

Bedord FD

Somers FD

Croton on Hudson PD

Mahopac Falls FD

Am I missing any? Are there other ice/swift water/other water related rescue teams that may not be "divers" that we haven't identified yet?

Edited by Chris192

New York State Police operate several dive teams as well as NYPD ESU and NYPD SCUBA.

True NYSP and NYPD both have Dive Teams but they are scattered. I know that NYSP divers come from up north at least an hour away. You might have some of their team on sight but not enough to run an operation. As for NYPD they may help in the sound and they may help in the Hudson if they are close to Yonkers. Nassau County PD helps on the other end of the Sound if needed.

Chris192 you would think we were full time the way we have been getting called out. We prob won't get called now for the rest of the year. Very weird how it works out. I think that the County has enough for what actually happens here. I would not start up another team. Doens't make sense to me.

I should post about not being called out all the time. Going to Yonkers in the morn to help them with an investigation. Boy I love getting this OT.

I have been involved with incidents more than once where the NYSP dive team was involved. While they are good at what they do, their response time is prolonged to Westchester as they come out of Troop K headquarters in Millbrook (Dutchess Co.).

If the dive response is for a rescue, then it's the local responders that get wet. If you district is in a NYSP primary jurisdiction such as Somers, North Salem, Lewisboro, etc, the NYSP divers will more than likely take over the operation when it becomes a prolonged (more than one day) recovery.

One incident that come to the top of my head was when a plane took down high tension power lines over the reservoir and electrocuted some fishermen in a row boat. After the operation was called off the first day, the NYSP became the primary divers with the local agencies divers standing by as back up until the recoveries were made.

Another incident was a car into a pond. Once it was confirmed there was no one in the vehicle, the NYSP did not want local emergency responders assisting removing the vehicle. Since there was no immediate threat, the car sat in the drink for several hours while the NYSP divers responded. Note, the driver was unlicensed and the vehicle had an expired registration.

I would say if you need for a "quick recovery" then NYSP would not be my first choice for anywhere in the county just because of where they have to come from. Most of our team lives local and we should be able to be on scene ASAP but you know how that goes. We have been working out of a temporary "DIVE AMBULANCE" for about 3 weeks now and every week we have been going somewhere else. That is good for us just a pain in the a** switching the gear back and fourth.

We were in the Saw Mill River today in Yonkers and let me tell you this was not fun. Not only was it cold but the current was rippin. On the way down I was saying how bad could it be. It was pretty bad in some spots. All in All a good day and I just want to give a shout out to Yonkers PD. Their DD and ESU were great too us today. Although just for recovery of evidence they were with us the whole time. Hopefully can go back when the water goes down a bit.

just to add to the list larchmont vac did have a team but gave it and all the eqiupment to the town of mamaroneck fire dept which had to give it up do to certifcation reasons i do belive it is on hold right now

To go along with the dive team out of Mahopac Falls, they also have 19Marine1, a hovercraft.

I would say if you need for a "quick recovery" then NYSP would not be my first choice for anywhere in the county just because of where they have to come from.  Most of our team lives local and we should be able to be on scene ASAP but you know how that goes. We have been working out of a temporary "DIVE AMBULANCE" for about 3 weeks now and every week we have been going somewhere else. That is good for us just a pain in the a** switching the gear back and fourth.

We were in the Saw Mill River today in Yonkers and let me tell you this was not fun. Not only was it cold but the current was rippin. On the way down I was saying how bad could it be. It was pretty bad in some spots. All in All a good day and I just want to give a shout out to Yonkers PD. Their DD and ESU were great too us today. Although just for recovery of evidence they were with us the whole time. Hopefully can go back when the water goes down a bit.

If you're looking for a rescue, I would still call NYPD for their air-sea rescue - especially if the victim(s) are in the LI Sound or Hudson River. The Bell 412 used for air-sea rescue missions can be almost anywhere in Westchester pretty fast and they're not only able to deploy divers but recover victims and the divers as well. They did the rescue in the Hudson River when the plane crashed a couple of years ago. The air-sea rescue is staffed 24 hours / 7 days a week - I think the State Police divers are regular troopers who are also divers so they have to be recalled from troop assignments.

If you're recalling personnel from home or other locations before a response, you're probably going on a recovery mission.

why doesn't Westchester County PD put one together?