Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

UPDATE - Old Centennial Hose Firehouse - Peekskill

37 posts in this topic

Here is a shot from a distance of the old Peekskill Firehouse located at Water St. and Central Ave.

Taken using a 300 mm zoom lens on my d-reb...with image stabilization, UV Haze filter, and Lens hood (was very bright out!)

Rumor of it one day becoming a museum...may RWC130 can elaborate...

this used to be E130 house back in the day!

[attachmentid=2948]

post-2-1182192785.jpg

In the foreground is the Hudson Line train tracks.

In the background is Home Mason Supply Co.

Overhead is the Central Ave overpass of State Route 9 (aka Albany Post Rd)

Picture lost some of it's consistency when shrunk to meet standards of this site...will try to correct compression later and post it again.

There was some early discussion that this house would be moved and restored to a museum for Peekskill FD.

As of last discussions it will be moved across the street to the Lincoln Plaza,(probable Sping 08) where it will become some type of business venture privately run. Example given was a pub/restaurant. It does not appear at this time that it will be solely dedicated to the FD as a museum. FD would have to assume all maintenance and upkeep and costs to run the building and the museum.

The Lincoln Plaza will host the Lincoln Depot Museum- a museum dedicated to Abraham Lincoln( it was this building that he alledgedly stoppped and gave a short speech from the back of his train). There will be statue of the President speaking from the back of the train on the grounds also.

The Old Centennials will also be located somewhere on the property along with the Peekskill FD September 11 tribute to Sam Oitice and the Wall of Heroes with all 403 names of the emergency services personnel killed that day.

The restored Peekskill FD bell in its new 20ft tall bell tower will also be located on the property.

That is the plan for the buildings and the memorials as of now, this is all subject to change if it is believed that the area designated as the Lincoln Plaza will be too congested with all these items. In which case the memorial committee may look to place the two memorial's at some other location.

Oswegowind,

This photo is even older, I am guessing early 1900's.

[attachmentid=2938]

As far as the status of the old Firehouse it will be moved sometime soon

as PFD165 mentioned.

The status of the building once it's moved will be up to the "CITY"

I would sure love to see it as a nice fire museum.

post-3-1181846234.jpg

I drove past that house the other day and man, it's RIGHT under Rt. 9. I bet everyone loved the day the built that overhead.

I tried to buy the building in the late 80's to make it into a bar. At the time th city stated they were going to condemn the building and knock it down.

Well 20 years later and it's still standing.

CENTENNIAL HOSE COMPANY NO. 4 BUILDING

The former Centennial Hose Company No. 4 building at 1 South Water Street is located underneath the Route 9 bridge over Central Avenue. It has been determined eligible for State and National Historic Register listing and is significant as only one of a few remaining 19th-century structures in the immediate vicinity.

Constructed in 1890, it is a 2-story, brick Queen-Anne-style firehouse with a clipped gable roof. Facing Water Street, the main façade is ornamented with a decorative brickwork frieze and recessed panels above the ground floor, recessed pilaster forms on the second floor, and window lintels with diamond-shaped insets.

The roof is slate and there is a diamond-shaped window in the gable. On the ground floor there is a large truck entrance and a secondary entrance. Enlargement of the truck entrance sometime after 1902 removed an original ground-floor window.

All of the existing windows and the ground-floor secondary entrance are sealed

with corrugated metal sheets. Construction of the Central Avenue bridge in 1930 removed the building’s original hose drying tower and a rear section of the roof.

A 2-story concrete block addition is located on the firehouse’s north side, but this addition is not a contributing feature of the State and National Historic

Register eligible property.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:ND2pm...&gl=us&ie=UTF-8

DFFD227 and I photographed this house back in 2004, when George used to like taking photos. tongue.gif

[attachmentid=2949]

And through a zoom lens and a hole in the door (rats were running around inside)......

[attachmentid=2950]

post-11-1182193514.jpg

post-11-1182193541.jpg

that is a true classic firehouse. im glad to see it is going to be saved.some great pictures of it.

New quarters for E131/39M1.......only when ALSFirefighter is on though... smile.gif

At least Homestyle is right there!

LOL. What makes you think some of the other stations aren't much different. LOL.

rolleyes.gif

I do like thier marble cookies. biggrin.gif

UPDATE! - Centennial Hose Firehouse

Friday August 15, 2008

I am happy to report it looks like it will be saved

and will be restored in the near future.

It's being jacked up, stabilized, and moved very soon.

post-3-1218829842.jpg

post-3-1218830218.jpg

post-3-1218830786.jpg

post-3-1218830441.jpg

Photos taken by:

Rob Casasanta

How long ago did they stop using this firehouse and how many stations do they have now?

Texas,

We moved from the Old Firehouse in 1980, to the current Firehouse located

at 701 Washington Street.

Fire Stations

Station 1 - Tower Ladder 45

Cortlandt Hook & Ladder

Main Street

Station 2 - OOS

Peekskill Fire Patrol

Highland Avenue

Station 3 - Engine 133

Washington Engine

(Above Station 5)

S. Division Street

Station 4 - Engine 132

Columbian Hose

Rear of Beach Shopping Center

Station 5 - Engine 131 / 39M1

Columbian Engine

(Below Station 3)

Crompond Road

Station 6 - Engine 130 / 39M2 / Rescue 134

Centennial Hose

701 Washington Street

NOTE: Rescue 134 has been relocated Station 6

Station 2 is OOS.

Texas,

We moved from the Old Firehouse in 1980, to the current Firehouse located

at 701 Washington Street.

Oh okay thanks.

Pretty funny how rumor has it that the building was offered to company members for 1 dollar back when they moved the engine out of there and nobody had any interest in it at all. Now all of a sudden there is a slew of people that want to save the building they had no interest in years ago. And most of them aren't even firefighters. Now the city and state are going to waste all kinds of money on saving it. Then the taxpayers are gonna foot the bill to maintain it! Sounds great to me..........

Their was a mention of the Centennial Hose Members trying to purchase the building, but a private invested did purchase the building. Sat empty for a while. We had many a good time in this firehouse. I was Captain of Centennial Hose when it was closed in 1979. Sure miss the old members and the many memories. Do not miss the flooded conditions when ever we had a major rain storm. Had to move everything to a higher level and move the Engine to higher ground, until the flooded street returned to a normal level. Then put every thing back and waited for the next heavy rain storm. When trucks would pass overhead on the bridge the building would shake a little, but everyone was familiar with that feeling. Need a lot more room to post all the great events and happening that went on in it"s almost 100 years of history

On a slightly related topic, why is Fire Patrol closed?

Their was a mention of the Centennial Hose Members trying to purchase the building, but a private invested did purchase the building. Sat empty for a while. We had many a good time in this firehouse. I was Captain of Centennial Hose when it was closed in 1979. Sure miss the old members and the many memories. Do not miss the flooded conditions when ever we had a major rain storm. Had to move everything to a higher level and move the Engine to higher ground, until the flooded street returned to a normal level. Then put every thing back and waited for the next heavy rain storm. When trucks would pass overhead on the bridge the building would shake a little, but everyone was familiar with that feeling. Need a lot more room to post all the great events and happening that went on in it"s almost 100 years of history

Thanks for posting those memoirs j2106. Please feel free to share more. I love the local/regional historical value, which seemingly gets lost to the interests of "progress", but its really the memories and stories which are valued the most!!

I was wondering the same thing...

Thanks for posting those memoirs j2106. Please feel free to share more. I love the local/regional historical value, which seemingly gets lost to the interests of "progress", but its really the memories and stories which are valued the most!!

Rodent infestation.Odor of diesel in the career quaters.

If I'm not mistaken isn't this station featured on abandonedbutnotforgotten.com?

Unfortunately, it appears the site is down at this time.

Rodent infestation.Odor of diesel in the career quaters.

The building is only closed for the Career Staff, the volunteers are still continuing business as usual.

I passed by it the other day and there were no doors or windows. it was completely gutted. Im glad that they will make it a museum! :rolleyes:

Pics to follow, my dad was watching the move and called me laughing hysterically!

As well, the incident alert should read: "Peekskill-Flagrant Waste of Taxpayer Dollars goes further South!-8/21/08"

Edited by Oswegowind

I hope the city was smart enough to require a performance bond posted by the contractor, and can recoup some of the money spent for the move prep.