Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Porsha911gt3

New NYSP Vehicle Lighting

76 posts in this topic

3K81 was a Camaro, now replaced with a Crown Vic. The K9's are 3K80, 3K82, 3K83, and 3K85.

Hawthorne has one Tahoe, 3K19.

Cortlandt's Tahoe's include 3K41, 3K46, 3K54, 3K55, 3K58, 3K59, 3K60, 3K85.

are any of these 2007s?

are any of these 2007s?

No. Still working off the last State bid purchase of 500 Tahoe's for the State.

No. Still working off the last State bid purchase of 500 Tahoe's for the State.

7 out of 500 total for the state...isn't that a large percentage for one barracks? I like them though...and I think I've seen you around right?

7 out of 500 total for the state...isn't that a large percentage for one barracks? I like them though...and I think I've seen you around right?

Yeah, 7 is, and we've been told to expect more. A new 3K43 is due any day and my money is it's a Tahoe.

Fortunately I have not been stuffed in one, so I was wondering if they are caged? I couldn't tell from driving by them. Also, I don't know if it is the tone of the Blue, but they look extremely sharp. Also you guys are keeping them awfully clean! being 4x4 and all...they are 4x4 right?

Fortunately I have not been stuffed in one, so I was wondering if they are caged? I couldn't tell from driving by them. Also, I don't know if it is the tone of the Blue, but they look extremely sharp. Also you guys are keeping them awfully clean! being 4x4 and all...they are 4x4 right?

I thought that the Tahoes were 2WD??

I thought that the Tahoes were 2WD??

I really hope not...especially when winter comes...

Also, trying to stay on topic :P , what is NYSP doing as far as warning package on the new Tahoes??

I have only seen LEDs on the CVs (minus some LEDs in grille for Tahoes, and of course the LED modules in back of the lightbars).

The old tahoe's had the Streethawks with flashing brake/reverse lights and wigwag headlights.

The new tahoe's have the rotating light bar (just lost the name) with yellow/blue led's to the rear in the bottom section, red led's in the front grille, wigwag headlights, arrow stick in the rear window, flashing intermittent tail lights.

The old tahoe's had the Streethawks with flashing brake/reverse lights and wigwag headlights.

The new tahoe's have the rotating light bar (just lost the name) with yellow/blue led's to the rear in the bottom section, red led's in the front grille, wigwag headlights, arrow stick in the rear window, flashing intermittent tail lights.

Oswego,

Most Tahoe's are 2WD, a few are 4WD. The problem is 4WD Tahoe's are not rated as pursuit vehicles, so most used on patrol are 2WD for that reason. They have no cages. Very, very few NYSP cars have cages. Cortlandt has only one, 3K49. Hawthorne has none, and Somers I think still has one left with a cage.

The lightbar you speak of is the Vista. The Vista will continue to be mounted until all are used, then more of the LED's will be ordered.

Oswego,

Most Tahoe's are 2WD, a few are 4WD. The problem is 4WD Tahoe's are not rated as pursuit vehicles, so most used on patrol are 2WD for that reason. They have no cages. Very, very few NYSP cars have cages. Cortlandt has only one, 3K49. Hawthorne has none, and Somers I think still has one left with a cage.

The lightbar you speak of is the Vista. The Vista will continue to be mounted until all are used, then more of the LED's will be ordered.

IIRC only the K9 Tahoes are 4WD, the rest are 2WD. Why? The top speed of the 4WD Tahoe is only 95, the 2WD are limited higher. That and the 4WD cost significantly more.

IIRC only the K9 Tahoes are 4WD, the rest are 2WD. Why? The top speed of the 4WD Tahoe is only 95, the 2WD are limited higher. That and the 4WD cost significantly more.

The 2WD vs. 4WD issue was based on K9 units in the past. No longer however. The 4WD's have a Governer at 99MPH, the 2WD have no such restriction.

Are the 2wd version also lower to the ground? Or do they add an after-market package? They seem lower than most tahoe's. Could be the color scheme too...I have seen a number of vehicles that look slightly different from one color to the next. Just a play on the eyes I assume, but I am no scientist. As well do you know if the State Police is considering the flex fuel version in the future to conserve energy?

These photos where taken in Saracuse last month, ive learned that NYSP had ordered 200 Liberty Bars and 200 Fredome Bars and are Currently Installing them on the fleet. Also im aware that Troop K is testing and evaluating the 5-4ward Voice avtivated Solutions on their Charger

www.54ward.com

DSC05000.jpg

DSC05001.jpg

DSC05002.jpg

DSC05003.jpg

DSC05004.jpg

Are the 2wd version also lower to the ground? Or do they add an after-market package? They seem lower than most tahoe's. Could be the color scheme too...I have seen a number of vehicles that look slightly different from one color to the next. Just a play on the eyes I assume, but I am no scientist. As well do you know if the State Police is considering the flex fuel version in the future to conserve energy?

The state bid police package is lower to the ground with a stiffer suspension, and beefed up engine, tranny, etc

What kind of LED arrow stick is that in the back of the Crown Vic with no roof rack?

What kind of LED arrow stick is that in the back of the Crown Vic with no roof rack?

No roof rack? What do you mean by that? All the newer cruisers I have seen all have that same LED arrowstick in the back, yet I have never been able to identify it myself.

New Lightbars will go great with the AMAZING Siren the Troopers have had

for many years.

Unitrol Touchmaster now Federal Signal Touchmaster

With the new lightbars comes a new siren. Sorry to say it isn't the Touchmaster.

No roof rack? What do you mean by that? All the newer cruisers I have seen all have that same LED arrowstick in the back, yet I have never been able to identify it myself.

They either have a Star arrow, or Whelen, depending on the install. The image of the Charger above has the Star, the Crown Vic has the Whelen.

At the Police & Security Expo that was held down in DC a few months ago, I saw the 5 4forward voice activated system. One of the young ladies was doing a demo with the system. It works with any voice and is very safe because it allows you to focus on the road instead of your radio, lights, siren and laptop. You can run warrant checks and run plates etc.

Comes in very handy if you are in a pursuit...............when you are doing MACH 1, you do not have even a second to look at your radio to change the channel if you need to talk to an agency that is also involved in a pursuit.

A few PDs from Rockland County are getting this system for their cars. I think it will catch on in the PD world, especially as the price comes down.

Edited by trauma74

I like the lineup of all of the older style NYSP cars. I remember seeing the mustangs on our local highways. I used to see the Camaro around my area, but it has been a long time now since it has been around.

I am waiting to see some kind of newer "Pursuit Car" come into the picture. Yes, we know that the Charger with the Hemi kicks *ss, but someone will come up with a car just for the highways.

Ford Mustange Saleen or Corvette would be two good choices.

With the new lightbars comes a new siren. Sorry to say it isn't the Touchmaster.

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!! :blink:

What Siren?

Our new unmarked cars will have red and blue LED's in the turn signals, made by Whelen. I need to find a pair for my CV.

post-6632-1187797002.jpg

I seem to remember around the dutchess area seeing one or two of the state police mustangs, but i swear seeing one that was white with red letters. i was younger, so i may be remembering incorrectly. Am I crazy, or were there any of these??

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!! :blink:

What Siren?

??????

Please don't tell me they are not using the Touchmasters anymore, they sound great and get attention. I love that ringtone mode.

MTACOP those lights look nice, and thats during daylight, I can only imagine at night they must look silly bright.

Can we stop with all of these bright lights on emergency vehicles. I came over the hill on the sprain a few weeks ago and thanks to the rain my windshield turned into a friggin wall of blue and red. The idiot in the lane next to me forgot he was in the middle of a turn and drifted across infront of me. Yeah, he was an idiot, but I couldn't see crap either and had anyone been behind me it would have been a long night. AMBER AMBER AMBER AMBER AMBER AMBER

Well it has been said blue light is the best for visibility on adverse weather conditions. Also if the light is affecting you, not you specifically but you as the operator of the vehicle maybe you should slow down and be more cautious. The intended purpose of lights to get your attention and slow you down and make you more aware.

Not NYS police but Rye pd may be finally entering the led craze. We had Whelen come demo them for our fleet at state contract pricing. They use the Federal Vista which were bought about five years ago and transfered from car to car.