Followers 0
ajsbear

Free public Transportation for 1st Responders

26 posts in this topic

Rockland legislator working to get first responders free public transportation

By SARAH NETTER

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: May 9, 2007)

Public transportation isn't cheap. It beats filling up the gas tank several times a week, but a commute into New York City from Rockland can cost at least a couple hundred bucks a month.

With those costs in mind, a county legislator is asking state lawmakers to allow Rockland to let first responders ride public transportation free of charge.

The benefits are twofold, Legislator Connie Coker, D-South Nyack, said yesterday. The riders of the bus or train would get the benefit of a trained emergency worker on board and the first responders would get a financial break.

"That would be a huge benefit to them," West Nyack Fire Chief George Drescher said.

Riding public transportation also would give those commuters more time at home and less time in traffic, he said.

And Coker pointed out it would mean less car pollution.

But, she said, the added security and assistance for Rockland's first responders was the priority.

Drescher said most first responders were cross-trained - police for medical response, firefighters for terrorism reaction.

He used the example of a volunteer firefighter on a train that was involved in an accident.

"With their training, their background, they can do triage, they can calm the situation," he said.

Two resolutions on the plan have been approved by the county Legislature unanimously - one requesting free access to public transportation statewide and one requesting the state give Rockland home-rule legislation to do it on its own in case the statewide measure doesn't pan out.

Assemblyman Kenneth P. Zebrowski, D-New City, said yesterday that he hadn't seen Rockland's legislation, but it sounded like something he would support.

"Of course a good idea and making a law are two different stories," he said.

Assemblywoman Ellen Jaffee, D-Suffern, and state Sen. Thomas Morahan, R-New City, could not be reached yesterday for comment.

Coker said the idea was borne out of the Rockland Homeland Security Task Force report, released in January. It recommended that transit companies allow police officers to ride at no cost.

Rockland's legislation just takes it a step farther, she said, and gives a little help to its volunteers.

"I think it sends a message that the county appreciates what they do," she said.

If the state approved Rockland's home-rule measure, Coker said, the county could negotiate agreements with other counties and with transit companies not operated by the county, such as NJ Transit and Coach USA.

The measure is the latest in a long line of plans to give breaks to emergency service volunteers and entice them to stay in Rockland.

Orangetown officials plan to build new, affordable homes for volunteers on town property once a developer is chosen. Other municipalities, including Nyack, also are working on affordable housing programs for their emergency service volunteers.

Drescher said every bit of help was appreciated if it would keep volunteers in Rockland. Volunteer firefighters routinely leave the county for less expensive areas, he said.

"We are doing a darn good job of training firefighters for Orange County," he said wryly.

Shara McHayle of Spring Valley said the idea was "OK" but wondered how much use it would get.

"It seems like more of a car culture than a public transportation culture," she said of Rockland.

McHayle, who moved to Rockland from Harlem in 2005, said the county's public transportation system wasn't as advanced as New York City's, but that first responders who commuted would see more of a benefit than those who just used it around the county.

Thats an amazing idea, i just wish they would extend it here in Briarcliff, i commute on the metro north train about three times a week, and i admit its a financial burden that i would love to be lifted

I believe that currently NYPD and FDNY get a free pass on mass transit. Not sure about Yonkers and White Plains.

All law enforcement agencies in the area get a free pass on Metro North, and LIRR. This was done after the Colin Ferguson shooting on LIRR on Dec. 7, 1993. Prior to this LIRR resisted giving free pass I have been told. NYPD also gets free access to Subways, FDNY gets free subways only when on duty with turnout gear (i.e reassigned to another station).

Edited by grumpyff

If this is approved state wide, would nonrockland residents be entitled to ride their local public transportation for free as well?

I've been riding the train to NYC from Pelham for free for years. all you do is show the conductor your shield discreetly and they just walk on by. if you make a big deal about it then they might ask for ID and be a pain in the a$$. just be respectful and most guys will let ya ride. i have never taken the bus but i would think that they would let you ride for free also.

Only police ride for free. They dont like to let fire marshals on either and they are police!

As someone who has to depend a lot on public transportation, this would be great in Westchester and on Metro-North.

I don't know about you guys, but when i'm not at work, i really don't want to be overtly advertised as an EMT, nor do i want to be the 45 minute duty EMT on my way down to grand central. I think ill pay the freight.

That is a good idea if it works... would save me 200 $ a month.

I hope that they do this for Westchester residents, it would be real nice.

On a side note, Metro North gives Police and Fire free rides, but does not to EMS. Over the summer I had to commute to the city and i had was running late one morning and didnt have time to buy a ticket on the platform so i figured i would buy it on the train. When the conductor got to me i took out my wallet and went to give him money and he looked down and noticed the flap that was covering my shield and he asked if i had a badge under it and if so could he see it, i showed him my shield and he said to put my money away, that police and fire ride for free, and i informed him that i was an EMT not a cop or firefighter, and he then turned around and said, in that case you will have to pay. I have to say, at that point I was very embarassed because the people sitting around me had seen what had happened. He made it seem as if EMS didn't mean much. I wasn't looking for a free ride but when he offered me one I wasn't gonna refuse (who would) and when he then made me pay because I was an EMT it made me feel as if EMS wasn't as important.

I hope that they do this for Westchester residents, it would be real nice.

On a side note, Metro North gives Police and Fire free rides, but does not to EMS. Over the summer I had to commute to the city and i had was running late one morning and didnt have time to buy a ticket on the platform so i figured i would buy it on the train. When the conductor got to me i took out my wallet and went to give him money and he looked down and noticed the flap that was covering my shield and he asked if i had a badge under it and if so could he see it, i showed him my shield and he said to put my money away, that police and fire ride for free, and i informed him that i was an EMT not a cop or firefighter, and he then turned around and said, in that case you will have to pay. I have to say, at that point I was very embarassed because the people sitting around me had seen what had happened. He made it seem as if EMS didn't mean much. I wasn't looking for a free ride but when he offered me one I wasn't gonna refuse (who would) and when he then made me pay because I was an EMT it made me feel as if EMS wasn't as important.

no offense, but are you just realizing that people don't give a hoot about EMS? unsure.gif

and, just as a side note, you should dump the EMT badge...it will get you in more trouble than it will get you out of, especially in NYC.

I don't know about you guys, but when i'm not at work, i really don't want to be overtly advertised as an EMT, nor do i want to be the 45 minute duty EMT on my way down to grand central. I think ill pay the freight.

And what about issues like PPE?

And what about issues like PPE?

I'm more concerned about liability.

Agreed, I know a few cops who pay for the same reason.

FDNY does not ride metro north for free. Since one of the conductors made a spectical out of it I pay all the time. Recently I was riding down with a buddy and he was in uniform and the conductor didn't even think twice and charged him. The UFA and UFOA have tried to get this in the past. As for the subway I have seen the token clerk ask for turnout gear.

no offense, but are you just realizing that people don't give a hoot about EMS?  unsure.gif

and, just as a side note, you should dump the EMT badge...it will get you in more trouble than it will get you out of, especially in NYC.

i assume you mean the badge some people buy w/ their # on it?? i know badges given by each agency are perfectly legal

i assume you mean the badge some people buy w/ their # on it??  i know badges given by each agency are perfectly legal

I'm talking about any badge.

i assume you mean the badge some people buy w/ their # on it??  i know badges given by each agency are perfectly legal

There has been a thread on this subject before. The bottom line is that state shields are NOT illegal to carry. However, I strongly suggest that you don't flash it and say "On the Job!"

If you are on your way to and from work, then you should not have to pay...as long as you are willing to help if a condition arises in which you are needed. You should also inform the conductor of such prior to boarding (MNRR trains at least) and they will sometimes direct you to a special car for employees and others that is locked...this way they will know where to find you. This is the idea behind police officer free pass...gun on the train programs. It should work for both fire and ems professionals as well...just remember they are donating a service to you in return for your service if necessary...then it is not a "FREE RIDE" which would be unethical.

In uniform MTA is suppose to allow free rides for all FDNY and NYPD. MetroNorth its hit or miss. It was more common before we had to buy passes before getting on. If I could ride free out of uniform I'd be all over that.

I'm more concerned about liability.

Yes, and then there is that, too....

My comment was meant in view of the idea that I get a free ride, the train gets something back from me if the need arises... but who supplies the PPE? If there is none available, in my mind I should not be burdened with the duty to respond.

Some bloodborne pathogens are forever. But saying that here is like preaching to the choir.

I ride to NYC daily, I dont go flaunting my badge but most of the crews that I see regularly know I am EMT and have been asked to assist during an emergency on a train until it can get to a station that outside EMS can board.

I "pay my way", I certainly wouldn't argue if the MTA or MNRR wanted to give me a break on my commute. It doesnt have to be free, paying less than my current 213.00 a month would be nice.

Especially now that the Village of Croton has decided on the 11% increase in parking fees starting June 2007, with no increase in services.

does anyone know how this worked out for Rockland? and if their going to expand it?

Especially now that the Village of Croton has decided on the 11% increase in parking fees starting June 2007, with no increase in services.

Really?????????? That is ridiculous, unless they planning on building an arch to get you to your car when it rains. My wife takes the train 2-3 days a week and sometimes that place is under water! They were down there trimming those skeleton like trees the other day though...and blowing the chips all over cars cause they did not have a hood on the truck receiving the debris from the chipper. Chips were flying all over the place...but they will charge more to "PARK"...Nice!

Soon enough I will be a 3 day a week commuter...if not 2 days...that is if I can work something out with someone at work to reduce my days in schedule...The train is great cause you can just relax and not worry about the other drivers getting in your way!

i assume you mean the badge some people buy w/ their # on it?? i know badges given by each agency are perfectly legal

Accompanied by a department issued photo ID a badge may be valid but the # must match the ID and I wouldn't hang my hat on XYZ Ambulance service ID carrying any weight in NYC!