Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Alamo NEW Ambulances?

14 posts in this topic

Rumor on the street is they have some new buses with CHEVY chassis'?

Never seen a ambo on a Chevy before.............

Wheres the pics?

Alamo had two new rigs on the road and at least one more being prepped the last time I was there. They are on GMC chassis. I haven't worked in one yet.

Abbey Richmond had a Chevy Amb. with a sliding side door. Also a Dodge Amb.

I don't have a camera, but yeah, took delivery of three Chevys, AEV I believe. They are okay, a little bigger, quieter than the F-350. Personally, I think they are the ugliest things I've ever seen, cosmetically but whatever gets the job done.

Though I wish someone would send management the pics of the new Empress rigs tongue.gif

Edit: For any buffs with scanners, new rigs are Medic 4, 6 and 7.

Edited by AFD32519

Mobile Life has a few new Chevy van buses, but they are not in service yet.

Yes Alamo has 3 GMCs. One I believe is the Pawling truck. Two of them are numbered 4 & 6. Not sure of the other one. They are pretty comfortable to sit in & finally someone set a truck up with the crew in mind. A good amount of room to the cab. I actually started in EMS at Cornwall with COVAC 5 was a Chevy Box. I hope these truck are the beginning of more to come.

I had sent several pics in to this site, but I might of done something wrong. I havent seen any of my pics posted.

Edited by Orpi442

Vista FD also runs Chevy ambulances.

Peekskill VAC, Yorktown VAC, and Mohegan VAC (at the time Mohegan Fire) ran Chevy SWAB Ambulances for many years.

I think Garrison VAC also?

WAS967 should remember 7502 and 7503.

That Chevy 454 Engine would fly! cool.gif

SWAB no longer does Ambulances but still around

making Rescue Trucks and Fly Cars.

http://www.swabwagon.com/home.html

Alamo ambulances 4,6, and 7 are all new chevys. Some think ugly and some think nice, but they get the job done.

Here's one of the photos Orpi sent in. Apologies they weren't posted.

Photo credit: Orpi442

[attachmentid=2812]

post-11-1180185577.jpg

New ambulance, old emergency lighting style???? I remember that one of the private co's in Albany has had a chevy van type for a while but can't remember if it was Niagra or Mohawk. I don't mind the new look, Ford had sort of monopolized the van ambulance business...nice to see general competition from someone that does not include those horrible delivery vans aka SPRINTERS. Those are not only ugly, I recall checking out a demo and saying "this ain't gonna work." Glad big Dan Minerva turned em away and kept with the regular vans. Good luck to Alamo with the new rigs! Oh yeah, and pay someone to update your logo...it is about time for a change!

I don't mind the new look, Ford had sort of monopolized the van ambulance business...nice to see general competition from someone that does not include those horrible delivery vans aka SPRINTERS. 

You'll be seeing a lot more rigs that aren't Fords. Ford announced last month that due to a problem getting their new diesel engine to fit in the F350/450 chassis, they were discontinuing their conversion line. It will be interesting to see who steps up to fill the void. I've already seen some boxes on GMC chassis.

How long Ford will be out of the loop is the real question... we saw at the Auto show how ford had several new generation Vans with a massive F-Series style front... when they will enter production I don't know... fast I would think... it would crush Ford to leave the van industry.

There actually not the bad looking but if they get the job done who cares

Lenox Hill Hospital purchased 3 new ambulances. Chevy van front, box in the back, gasoline powered with a generator to power the box. Not much leg room in the front but a lot of room in the box (but poorly configured patient compartment). A little too wide for Manhattan streets but you gotta' work with what ya' got!

Paul