Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

JetBlue plane struck by lightning

8 posts in this topic

I would think planes get struck quite often? Anyone know?

JetBlue plane struck by lightning

The NY bound plane made an emergency landing

Eyewitness News

(New York - WABC, May 28, 2007)

An airliner heading to New York made an emergency landing last night after being struck by lightning.

The JetBlue Airbus A-320 was flying from Rochester to JFK with 140 passengers on board when it happened.

After the lightning strike, there was an odor of something burning in the cabin, but there was no fire or smoke.

The plane landed safely and nobody was injured, in fact, according to a JetBlue spokesman, passengers got to their destinations 20 minutes early.

I hate hearing stuff like this...scares me. It's why I hate to fly.

The scary part there is the smell of smoke. I just saw something on the National Geographic channel talking about a similar situation. There was an electrical fire in the bathroom that wasnt properly dealt with (not caused by lightning). By the time they landed the entire plane was filled with toxic smoke and only half the people made it out before it flashed over. Generally an aircraft can take a lightning strike ok. Its the shorted out electronics that you need to worry about. You might lose an instrument or two but it shouldnt be that big of a deal. Electrical fires arent exactly rare, but they arent common either. A good call by the pilots to make a precautionary landing.

as a pilot, that is some scary stuff, when they are doing their type training 90 % of it is emergency procedures and the other 10% is actual routine flying. As you may or may not know, the newer airbuses and boeings have internal fire extinguishing systems that are installed between the pressure vessel and the interior paneling.

I hate hearing stuff like this...scares me. It's why I hate to fly.

I do to but still the best way to travel.

I always thought planes got struck a lot and it wasn't really a problem. They're not grounded.

I hate flying.......

Aircraft are struck by lightning all the time. In the air, since they are not "grounded", they usually pass thru the shock without even a blink of the interior lights.

Did see a plane after it was hit by a bolt while it was on the ground. Melted the low freq FM antenna into a puddle of goo. Other than that not a mark on her. Pilot didnt notice until his radio started sounding "weak"