Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Wassaic FD Tank 228 & Wassaic Questions

20 posts in this topic

Well, I finally got my photo of Wassiac's Tank 228. But I have a couple of other questions.

Since I've never heard of Wassaic FD before (only thing I know is it's at the very top/end of the line for Metro North's Harlem Line in northeastern Dutchess), they must be a smaller FD. What other apparatus do they have? Are they all blue?

Can anyone assist me with who the body on this tanker was made by? Also, I assume they got a new tanker? What is it?

[attachmentid=2901]

post-11-1181435267.jpg

SETH! The NEW tanker is a MONSTER!!!!!!!! It is pretty sweet - I saw it last week when I was leaving a cemetary I mow in Wassaic....

It's big and blue.....Like all of thier equipment (and gear last I knew)

The are north of Dover Plains, Sounth of Amenia.

One station......

Edited by Ole129K

You know Seth, you promised you would call me to do Photo Hunts up here in Dutchess. mad.gif

You bailed on me last time, and didn't come back since your accident.

sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

The photo of this tanker was taken a while ago in CT, not Dutchess. I still can't drive and don't get out much to take photos and this one randomly appeared for me while out with Kristen.

The photo of this tanker was taken a while ago in CT, not Dutchess. I still can't drive and don't get out much to take photos and this one randomly appeared for me while out with Kristen.

I see, you are forgiven.

For now. tongue.giftongue.gif

Please, do let me know when you are able to!

Although I am sure you have several platefuls of other things you need to do before coming up this way.

So that means hurry up and get better already, lol! laugh.gif

Yes, the smurf company has blue trucks, equipment and gear, last I knew air packs too.

For the record, it's radio identifier is actually Wassaic 6931, not tanker 228 (the rig has both on it...both 6931 & 228....but goes by 6931 - 69 is the department number, 31 indicates that the unit is a tanker).

Hey Seth... So far as I know, Wassaic is an all Blue fd (even blue bunkers). However, it was my understanding that their shade of blue was lighter. Nice photo!

Hope this helps.

-Joe DA BUFF

I'm not really sure who built that body originally but i believe it waqs refurbished once as well, they replaced it with a 3000 gal tanker made by Smeal on an International chassis and yes it's blue, they have 2 other engines (i think they are both Pierce??) and a small rescue (Rescue 1) all blue like the photo you have, they are a smaller FD and yes there bunkers are blue as well.

It's a mid 80's vintage. 228 was probably it's old number before Dutchess renumbered units back in 89-90??

Wassaic is just above Wingdale if I remember right.

Who makes blue bunker gear?

A lot of companies due, mainly special orders for the old rescue squads. Lion and Cairns are two companies off the top of my head.

Standard blue color Nomex from Globe Firesuits.

69-31?

For a minute I thought it was an old Mohegan Ambulance. rolleyes.gif

LOL!

BIG TANKER!

It's a mid 80's vintage. 228 was probably it's old number before Dutchess renumbered units back in 89-90??

Wassaic is just above Wingdale if I remember right.

The 3 digit number was a civil defense number i believe, there were a few departments used those numbers for awhile until the mid 80's, then Dutchess County used a very informal system until the current numbering system was put in place,(engine 1,2, Car 1,2, Rescue 1,2 etc...) you had to say your FD name ahead of the unit you had and alot of times with repeater transmissions the first part of the transmission was cut off and all the dispatcher heard was ...engine 1 responding, and that could have been anybody, so the new numbering system has helped. Wassaic is above Dover Plains, in the Town of Amenia, last stop on the Metro North line.

Back to the 3 digit number on the old tanker,I beleive it was back in the 70's that Dutchess 911 was known as KED-348. There was a 3 digit code given to each Dept for the apparatus, that not many places used to often. The one that stands out for me was Glenham's engines being known as Glenham 360 ,361.. Most Dept.'s didn't like it to much and just went and used Engine 1 Engine 2 Truck 1, Truck 2 etc. Maybe some of the older people on the board might remember those numbers and why they weren't used.

Back to the 3 digit number on the old tanker,I beleive it was back in the 70's that Dutchess 911 was known as KED-348.

Actually, Dutchess 911 was known as KED-348 until the late 1990's, when the Dutchess County Bureau of Fire became Dutchess County 911.

That's right I meant when it was known as KED348 Thanks for catching that