Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

Permit soon to be required to take photo's in NYC

28 posts in this topic

A new law being considered by NYC Mayor Bloombergs office would require photographers/videographers to get a permit and 1 million in liability insurance to take photographs/videos in NYC........ I don't know what anybody else thinks but I don't like the sounds of this AT ALL...... They claim it's "not intended" to apply to families on vacation or amateur filmmakers or photographers but it sounds like the law is so vaguely written, that a police officer is allowed to use his judgement on how to enforce it and when........ I was at Rockefeller Center several years ago trying to take a casual shot of the tree doing nothing special and I was threatened by a NYPD officer who was apparently having a bad day....... If this law was in effect then, I probably would have gone down town....... It's been bad enough with all the post 911 grief photographers have endured in NYC and this is surely going to make things even worse.......... Not Good!!!!!!!!! mad.gif

Link to NY Times article :

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/nyregion...=th&oref=slogin

Sadly, living in a post 9/11 world the days of taking photos

have changed forever.

I'm very glad to know that people taking pictures is the most serious problem facing the city of New York & its elected officials. Surely there must be something more important for Mayor Bloomberg to deal with. Laws like this are stupid & have no purpose. I seriously doubt this proposed law would stand up to a constitutional challenge if one was made. mad.gif

Maybe Bloomburg has never heard of the US Constitution! What an a**hole!

You do not even have to make a new law. If you see "suspicious" people taking pictures or video, you question them!

I'm very glad to know that people taking pictures is the most serious problem facing the city of New York & its elected officials. Surely there must be something more important for Mayor Bloomberg to deal with. Laws like this are stupid & have no purpose. I seriously doubt this proposed law would stand up to a constitutional challenge if one was made. mad.gif

Just stupid actions. What happened to common sense, I realize we are in a post 9/11 world, but come on, would a photograph of a fire engine or the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center or of yourself be that much of an issue? I realize a photograph and video of security on the Freedom Tower, or The White house's layout, or some other govt. building could be an issue, but would a firehouse really apply? Who would want to attack a firehouse?

My 2 cents.

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman

I'm going to try to get a copy of this proposed law and have my attorney look it over and get an opinion........ It sounds like if they get their way, I can't set my tripod up to get some FDNY apparatus shots w/o a permit....... sad.gif

The only way this piece of crap will get stopped is to contest it..... You can do that by contacting Mayor Bloombergs office at the following:

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg

City Hall

New York, NY 10007

PHONE 311 (or 212-NEW-YORK outside NYC)

FAX (212) 788-8123

E-MAIL:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/mail/html/mayor.html

This is such a load of garbage. I guess having a press pass isn't enough. I wouldn't get too steamed about it folks. From what I interpret, this isn't aimed at the buffs.

Unfortunetly, if the terrorists want to do something, they are going to do it.

It's sickening that the goverrment is using terrorism as an excuse to put more and more restrictions on Americans.

i little off the topic, but the same goes for the kensico damn. they have taken away cameras of people photographing it. i have a great photo of the dam and will treasure it. ...and now i have to say the same for every photo i've taken when i was in the city??? gimme a break. it's bad enough he's gonna tax us to go there mon-fri!!! now this??? whats next...every time i gotta piss in the city i gotta give bloomberg a buck?? this guy was good for NYC but now he's just getting on my f*ckin nerves

What I would like to know: Is how NUTTY did you have to look, to stand out among HUNDREDS of other people taking photos. For it to stand out to a cop.. Think about it guy..

Unfortunetly, if the terrorists want to do something, they are going to do it.

It's sickening that the goverrment is using terrorism as an excuse to put more and more restrictions on Americans.

Amen, brother!

"Congress shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech."

'Nuff said.

-Joe DA BUFF

So, Mr Politician, explain to me how this is going to make us safer?? As was said, if the terrorist is going to do something, they're going to do it and have the information/photos needed for intel. As I told someone when stationed in Korea after being told not to take photos, "So, the Russians have stopped flying their satellites over the country??" Where there's a will, there's a way.

What I would like to know: Is how NUTTY did you have to look, to stand out among HUNDREDS of other people taking photos. For it to stand out to a cop.. Think about it guy..

I don't have to think about it...... There weren't hundreds of other people taking photo's ..... In fact when I was there, I don't recall anybody else taking photo's from my location.... It was just me, my wife, and my camera who were dressed and acting like everybody else...... OK - GUY? :angry: Oh, I know.... It must have been that I was shooting with a Canon..... If I had a Nikon, he probaly wouldn't have noticed........ :lol:

Edited by Photounit

Did I miss something?? Tourists are still avoiding NYC after 9/11.. Now Mayor Bloomberg is adding another reason to avoid the city.. :angry:

I would love to see NYPD pull over the open top tour buses, and issue summons to 100 tourists for taking pictures going down 42nd street.. Then we can see how quick the tour companies are his face as well. Or does Mr Bloomberg plan to supliment the NYC revenue stream by selling permits as part of a package to take the tour? :blink:

My 2 cents, the terrorists already have enough 8x10's since the attack in '93, another example of fixing something that was not broken. But I am sure we can waste a couple of million dollars on spinning our wheels AGAIN!

I see signs on the Bear Mountain Bridge not allowing pictures.

Yet on line there are pictures,i could never possibly get, from the top of the towers!!

If the terrorists wanted pictures, do you think there are not plenty of places to get not only pics, but possibly the actual drawings themselves?? Come on, whom are they kidding?

http://www.nysba.state.ny.us/bridgepages/BMB/walk/frame.htm

THAT'S OK, I WASN'T USING MY CIVIL LIBERTIES ANYHOW... Edited by paramedico987

i little off the topic, but the same goes for the kensico damn. they have taken away cameras of people photographing it. i have a great photo of the dam and will treasure it. ...and now i have to say the same for every photo i've taken when i was in the city??? gimme a break. it's bad enough he's gonna tax us to go there mon-fri!!! now this??? whats next...every time i gotta piss in the city i gotta give bloomberg a buck?? this guy was good for NYC but now he's just getting on my f*ckin nerves

Who has taken cameras away from people taking pictures at the dam? The dam plaza is a county park and unless you're taking pictures commercially (like a professional photographer taking pictures of a wedding), there is no restriction on photography within the park. The commercial photog needs a permit. That is, unless you count the law making it illegal to take pictures in the bathroom.

would this affect people who buff?

THATS BS

They cant stop anyone like tourists from taking picts

The criminals are going to do what they need to do regardless of a law! Were all of the 9/11 terrorists abiding by the law?

You can compare this to gun control.................the criminals are going to get guns even if the law says they need to get a permit a gun.

The NYC Film and Theater Commission has withdrawn this proposal with suggestion that it will be reworked and reintroduced at a later date. Lots of opposition was presented by the ACLU and National Press Photographers Association.

Thanks for the update, Truck 4. Glad to see some common sense prevailed.

Thats not right, It never fails when ever I start doing something fun they wanna take it away. I got to the city a few times a year (until I move) and I always have my camera (even my cell phone which has a camera) and I take pictures of anything and everything, last time I was there I ran into two mounted officers and took a picture of them writing a cabbie a ticket for speeding(which is worse getting pulled over by a bicycle cop or a mounted officer?). That same trip I saw ladder 10 engine 10 returning to HQ from a call (took lots of pics) saw the Mayor (flipped him off and took a pic). It sounds like the Mayor wants more money apparently people paying taxes isnt enough. So with that said if they are going to charge for a permit to take pictures then they need to stop selling camera phones.

Edited by MoFire390

Thanks for the update Truck4....... I hadn't heard this and it's promising news..... Let us hope that the next attempt is more reasonable!