Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Fire union officials complain about conditions of Mt. Vernon firehouses

9 posts in this topic

Can our brothers in Mount Vernon ever catch a break? When will we start seeing the stories in the news about increased staffing, like the story yesterday about Mount Vernon hiring 21 new Police Officers, and announced it at a big press conference on the steps of City Hall. Or that they are increasing pay? Or building NEW fire stations (they're touting a new "downtown development plan tonight, in fact), or even purchasing new equipment.

The Mount Vernon FD is full of great guys and great firefighters. They deserve more funding, and better working conditions. Mount Vernon has the money, they just don't appropriate it right. How is it that one of the busiest FD's in Westchester, in terms of OSW's, is also the most neglected? Especially when the Cities next door are like night and day. It's sad, but it all comes down to politics- Mount Vernon politics, as usual.

Fire union officials complain about conditions of Mt. Vernon firehouses

By DESIREE GRAND

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: July 26, 2007)

MOUNT VERNON - Fire union officials said they didn't know what else to do about the condition of the city's four firehouses.

Leaky roofs, broken plumbing, pest control problems and mold are so commonplace in the firehouses that officials consider the buildings a health hazard.

So they created a Power Point presentation showing uneven floors and broken ceilings and walls and distributed it to the media.

"The places are falling apart," said Noah Lighty, president of Local 107 of the International Association of Firefighters. "It's ridiculous."

Lighty and Vice President Charles Ranken said they have been talking about the dilapidated conditions of the firehouses for several years, but not much has happened.

City officials said they are aware of and have been working on the problems. They point to emergency funds allocated for a new roof for the Lincoln Avenue firehouse, the building in need of the most repair.

The City Council declared the fire headquarters an "emergency situation" to streamline the construction process, said President Steven Horton.

And $125,000 was allocated for the new roof yesterday.

John DiBlasi, chief of staff for Mayor Ernest Davis, said the biggest problem is the roof of the fire headquarters. Lighty said after heavy rains, the walls become so soaked that firefighters can leave their handprints on the walls.

Fire Commissioner Nicholas Cicchetti yesterday afternoon presented a renovation plan to Lighty and Ranken that would address the roof at fire headquarters first and then start work on the other firehouses.

"Maybe someday these buildings will be replaced," Cicchetti said. "But we have to get this done first and then move on."

Lighty acknowledges the city has patched the roof of fire headquarters but said that has not been effective. He said the repair plans are a start, but there still is a long way to go.

"There is more to it than the roof," he said. "Everything needs to be done, from the roof to the basement."

DiBlasi said that prior to the planned roof reconstruction, the city had been working to fix the problems.

"In terms of the conditions, we have been attempting to systematically address them. We have done work on some of the buildings," DiBlasi said. "However, I would agree we have not completed. More work has to be done."

All involved agreed the buildings are aging structures. The Lincoln Avenue firehouse was a private estate that had been converted. The one on Oak Street, also in need of major renovations, is one of the city's original firehouses.

Mount Vernon is full of wonderful ,highly trained firefighters and Officers--but when you have elected officals who reneg on promises made its a wonder that the fire department is holding togeather at all. Mount Vernon deserves to be a first class fire department with the best stations and the best apparatus and the best Officers.

RAIN WATER ADDED EXTRA FLAVOR TO THE MEAL @ HQ!

"Thats not a hole. we're building you a new sky light" :D

It's sad, but it all comes down to politics- Mount Vernon politics, as usual.

Seth,

It really comes down to the fact that there are a very few cities, compared to the number of fire departments in those cities, that are very progressive regarding staffing, a true apparatus replacement plan and facilities. It usually has to come down to someone dying, the union jumping up and down or the media getting a hold of it and running with it. But the police or city hall gets their new gleaming buildings or extra staffing, you know what I mean. It comes down to the department being able to educate the fat cat politicians that their pet projects really need to take a back seat to what's important, and that's public safety.

:angry:

Ive been very low key for awhile now because I'm sick of p---ing in the wind. Our work conditions are a product of our enviorment, as much as I dont want to admit it were second class, you can post all night long and I'll still see a huge hole in the ceiling, a 1976 tower, mold , rodents, and a department that repairs on the fly. Everyone out here has an answer and your all right, but we have a very long history of working with the least. I think the best answer is for New Rochelle, Fairview, Pelham, and everybody else tell Mt. Vernon were not coming. Yonkers -God Bless them said enough is enough, its not about giving us a break or worrying that we need your help, helping us would be for our union brothers to say enough is enough.

It seems like the newest thing in any FD is 4 years old at least. People can get fire insurance and I beleave thats what the city thinks.

Tomorrow I'll go back to a place any fire prevention officer would close.

I'm sure this will be in the Law Dept , Monday , this is what they consider a priority.

Hey jloftus, you didn't include Greenville L-4 on that list of m/a companies. $hit they'd respond to Albany if they had the chance. As far as FDNR is concerned, they honestly have no choice, they have to respond. The smaller towns /villages do though. Kudos to PMFD for also putting their foot down and saying enough is a enough!

I wish the Brothers at the City of Mount Vernon Fire Department the best.

It would be a shame if a Firefighter was injured at one of the Fire Stations

due to Negligence on the CITY's part!

1-800-LAWYERS!

Ive been very low key for awhile now because I'm sick of p---ing in the wind. Our work conditions are a product of our enviorment, as much as I dont want to admit it were second class, you can post all night long and I'll still see a huge hole in the ceiling, a 1976 tower, mold , rodents, and a department that repairs on the fly. Everyone out here has an answer and your all right, but we have a very long history of working with the least. I think the best answer is for New Rochelle, Fairview, Pelham, and everybody else tell Mt. Vernon were not coming. Yonkers -God Bless them said enough is enough, its not about giving us a break or worrying that we need your help, helping us would be for our union brothers to say enough is enough.

It seems like the newest thing in any FD is 4 years old at least. People can get fire insurance and I beleave thats what the city thinks.

Tomorrow I'll go back to a place any fire prevention officer would close.

I'm sure this will be in the Law Dept , Monday , this is what they consider a priority.

Loftus...very good post that expresses your frustration very well. Frustration that myself and my co-workers also know all too well. Empty promises and half repairs, or repairs that don't fix the problem at hand and then its deaf ears to get anyone to come back and try yet again. Lofuts also said it and I had to giggle because we often say the same thing that if we were to inspect our stations like we do occupancies it would be shut down or repairs would be forced or suffer summonses or fines. But we live and sleep in these places 2-4 times a week.

A firefighter experiencing an injury is one of the least of my concerns, its the risk that much of these issues involving leaking ceilings and walls/foundations, improper ventilation of exhaust that causes me concern for myself and my brothers. An injury generally will heal....some of the illnesses associated with mold, exhaust & bacteria from moist environments can make us sick not tomorrow, but maybe next week, next month, next year or in 10 years.

The worst part...if it was in any other city building it wouldn't be tolerated as much. Loftus pretty much spoke the truth, in most cases we are 2nd class. The red-headed step child.

Best of luck brothers on your quest to your houses at least safe. Maybe we can all compare notes and laundry lists.