Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CG206

Mohegan Engine 250 Retires

27 posts in this topic

On July 31, 2007, the Lake Mohegan Fire District retired Engine 250. The rig is a 1988 KME/LTI 1750gpm/500gal/55FT Telesquirt. The rig was formerly designated as T.S.3. The rig was the dept's workhorse apparatus for 19 years and acted as the dept's "ladder" for a few years from 1988 through 1996 when Ladder 10 was delivered. The rig is in the process of being stripped of it's equipment and will be up for sale shortly. At this time there is no apparatus being built to replace it.

That seems kind of sudden, Chris. Did something happen to the rig or is it a personnel issue? That's too bad, I always liked that rig.

This is a good way to start a spare pool if the rig is in working order maybe the county should start get the rig from the departments and loan them out as needed. Most time when rigs are traded in it is a very small amount of money for that piece. If departments started to give older rigs that work to the county to use for training and then as needed for a spare to any department in the county.

Just my 2 cents

This is a good way to start a spare pool if the rig is in working order maybe the county should start get the rig from the departments and loan them out as needed

Interesting concept, but there are a few issues that come to my mind.. where would they be stored and where would the funding come to buy them and more important the constant maintenance that would be needed for the older apparatus and their components? Not to mention that many times there are critical MVC's that have involved "spare" apparatus and to consider loaning out an apparatus to another department with no familiarity with it at all could be dangerous. Not to mention being NY is a home rule state I don't see why the county would want to or should get involved in a system like that. They are told to go scratch on many important issues they try to deal with in regard to the fire service. But like I said I'm not faulting you CPage...your concept is very interesting.

If I'm not mistaken, that will leave E-245 (formerly TS-2) as the only TeleSquirt left in service in Westchester.... And E-245 is slated for replacement in the next 12 months.

I am a big fan of departments like Millwood, Bedford, Chappaqua, Katonah, etc. running TeleSquirts as first due engines. These districts have long driveways where the usual tactic of having the engine pull past the driveway and the truck position on Side Alpha doesn't always work. What you most often find is the engine pulled as far into the driveway as possible and stuffed in the corner with the truck pulling in behind and covering the A-B or A-D side of the home.

Having a TeleSquirt run as the first due engine gives the added flexability of an elevated waterway, or emergency escape ladder extremely close to the side/rear of the structure where a truck most likely wouldn't have enough room to work.

I'm not a fan of running TeleSquirts as trucks, or in place of trucks. But again as an engine. The hardware for the boom doesn't take up much space, you still have full engine compartmentation, full hose bed (E-245 carried 1200ft of 5in when I was Captain) full pump and tank capability.... All on a short wheelbase.

The desire to have full blown ladder trucks by almost every department in Westchester has caused us to lose sight of the fact that Telesquirts serve a great role.

I would hope that these rigs will wind up going to a department that can use them, OR keep the hardware for the booms and the next time an engine is spec'd by these departments that the booms would be remounted.

Just my 2 cents.

Interesting concept, but there are a few issues that come to my mind.. where would they be stored and where would the funding come to buy them and more important the constant maintenance that would be needed for the older apparatus and their components? Not to mention that many times there are critical MVC's that have involved "spare" apparatus and to consider loaning out an apparatus to another department with no familiarity with it at all could be dangerous. Not to mention being NY is a home rule state I don't see why the county would want to or should get involved in a system like that. They are told to go scratch on many important issues they try to deal with in regard to the fire service. But like I said I'm not faulting you CPage...your concept is very interesting.

Here in Bergen Co. NJ the county fire training center has rigs they use for training and if a dept. needs to use 1 as a spare for any amount of time while the dept. rig is out. That dept. will be trained on that rig and all of the dept. equipment will be placed on the spare also the dept. that is using the rig puts in on there ins. policy for that time frame.

At present Bergen has 3 ladder's they can loan out 2 t/l and 1 rearmount ladder. As of now they have recieved some as donations and have spent money on getting them up to shape. As for a place to keep them most if not all are at the training center but most county's have many garages in all area's or some dept's have extra rtoom to store them. It would be nice to have this as a plan this maybe something that the county fire chiefs get set in place and get it rolling with the help of WCDES as a backer for the program.

I always found it interesting how the Telesquirt had a top mount pump panel.

I believe TR54 has a nice shot of it operating at one of it's first fires at a lumberyard in Peekskill.

Here's a photo I have of it taken 3-21-04. It's sure a neat rig, and I'll miss seeing it around. I hope it finds a good home. I also hope it's replaced with a TeleSquirt or similar device. I guess age and maintenance costs were part of the disposal decision.

Thanks for sharing this update, CG206!

post-11-1186165915.jpg

I can honestly say that I will miss engine 250. For years it was the workhorse in our district, responding out of headquarters in the open cab was great. After ladder 10 was purchased, 250 was sent out to the Furnace Woods substaion, to get a well needed rest. One of the biggest pumps in our district will now be leaving, just want to see what they come up with as far as a replacement.

What replacement ? the commissioners don't want to replace it I will also be sad to see it leave I rode that rig to many calls a few structure fires it was the work horse of the department for many years and has fought many fires we will be posting a news story on the moheganfire website in the next few days and be posting pics of it in action and I took a bunch of pictures of it the other day before it is totally striped down with nothing on it I will share some pics with the emtbravo shortly.

I would love to see a truck like that in our department....since we have to rely on another department to send us one as part of our mutual aid agreement .. it would be nice to be self sufficient...

I would love to see a truck like that in our department....since we have to rely on another department to send us one as part of our mutual aid agreement .. it would be nice to be self sufficient...

I think you guys had a telesqurt that was the old fdny eng 70 it was up on farmersmill road house back in the late 80's 90's. I may be wrong I will look for a pic of it I must have some place.

yes u are correct..

CPage...thanks for sharing brother. Like I said definately an interesting concept.

x635...I can still see TS-3 (E-250) in my head pumping at that fire, it was 1988 or 89 if I remember the year right at Dain's lumberyard on Water St. First time I ever saw 5" hose was at that fire feeding the telesquirt. That truck ran its a** off along with E-255.

17-5-1 was purchased in 1987, just before I joined LCFD as an explorer. It stayed with LCFD until early 1992, just after I enlisted. It went to Wall, PA, and last I heard via fdny trucks.com, it's down in Texas somewhere.

I can honestly say that I will miss engine 250. For years it was the workhorse in our district, responding out of headquarters in the open cab was great. After ladder 10 was purchased, 250 was sent out to the Furnace Woods substaion, to get a well needed rest. One of the biggest pumps in our district will now be leaving, just want to see what they come up with as far as a replacement.

There's no reason to replace it. The District has two Quints now, and five engines. One engine is avilable as a spare. Mohegan is in good shape as is. Goodbye 250. Not everyone loved you! As for replacement, there'll be one soon enough. Without a ladder and a lot more agile, I can only hope.

yes u are correct..

Here is a pic of Lake Carmel's T/S before they got it from FDNY This is it from Engine 70 out of City Island in the Bronx.

post-1209-1186921072.jpg

Wasn't 250 used a few weeks ago at a fire? Makes me wonder whats gonna happen when your neighboring department needs in up at the shooting range or up on Flanders lane or Mt Side trail.

Make a human pyramid!!!! :lol:

I think Montrose's new E122 will get the job done - an aerial isn't needed at every fire.

Hey Grumpy, I take it you won't be buying E250 as a souvenir???

X635, Millwood's Squirt is also a top-mount pump. It is odd, but I have seen it a couple other places....the other one I am thinking of was Fairview I think, not sure.

Whats the word on the sale of this rig......has it been sold or is it still up for grabs

Here is a pic of Lake Carmel's T/S before they got it from FDNY This is it from Engine 70 out of City Island in the Bronx.

Cpage,

Thanks for sharing the photo. I always love seeing classics rigs.

Two speed automatic ! Was great goin down the Rt. 52 hill though !

well that is classic shot of the fdny mack.

Two speed automatic ! Was great goin down the Rt. 52 hill though !

Rich

Do you a pic of it when she was with LCFD never got the chance to shoot it when she was parked at Farmers Mill Road house.

Thanks

Chris

As of right now the telesquirt is still for sale and basically still has all of the equipment on it for now. I heard one department upstate may want to look at it. It is still sitting in Furnace woods firehouse

Make a human pyramid!!!! :lol:

I think Montrose's new E122 will get the job done - an aerial isn't needed at every fire.

Hey Grumpy, I take it you won't be buying E250 as a souvenir???

X635, Millwood's Squirt is also a top-mount pump. It is odd, but I have seen it a couple other places....the other one I am thinking of was Fairview I think, not sure.

Souvenir? Yeah, it would make a great paper weight. Better yet an anchor for the Intrepid!