Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calhobs

Why are judged parades such a big deal

21 posts in this topic

It’s that time of year again, when I see more people cleaning there Engines and Ladders then there was on last nights call. What is so big about these parades that are judged? Then you go to a Memorial Day parade or a 9/11 memorial and hardly anyone shows up. Is because there is no trophy given, or no free beer garden at the end? Does it really matter who had the best Engine? Or who had the most in line? Why are these parades such a big deal?

LOL!!! Not touching this one with a ten foot pole hitting my keyboard!!!!

It’s that time of year again, when I see more people cleaning there Engines and Ladders then there was on last nights call. What is so big about these parades that are judged? Then you go to a Memorial Day parade or a 9/11 memorial and hardly anyone shows up. Is because there is no trophy given, or no free beer garden at the end? Does it really matter who had the best Engine? Or who had the most in line? Why are these parades such a big deal?

Couldn't agree more with you. Unfortunately we all know how this topic will end up, but it's a shame

beats the hell out of me!

i never really understood the REAL importance of the whole "trophy" thing. even when i go to lake george with friends, i catch a crapload of local volly trucks up there for some parade, and i'm thinking, "Arent you guys suppose to be doing something else???"

Maybe its a morale thing? Maybe its a motive to get some members to join? Who knows!

Def. going to be a touchy topic though...I know i got my feelings about them!

Amen Brother

I have to agree on the point made regarding memorial masses and other events where theres no beer or trophies (there beer at more events than you think lol). BUT I do have to say that some people, including myself, like parades and thats "our" thing. Everyone doesnt have to like it but thats no reason put it down. When you go to funerals and memorial events and the only people there are 90 and have nothing better to do or are the "working tour" thats sad! I hope the people who think "everyone else will go, I can stay home" dont want a big turnout at their funeral, not to be spiteful, but people remember who goes and dont go to these events and they dont forget ;-)

Guys, it simple, competition. Why do we go to parades? Why do we attend musters? Why do we organized softball teams and gold tournaments? Why to we play beer pong????? We like friendly competition and taking pride in the competition we perform in. Plus too it an old time tradition to participate in competitions not only in the fire services but what about drum corps and marching bands, ect.??? It a good time and moral booster.

If you are into it fine but at the same time there many "overboard" situations that ruin it also. Got to keep in mind this if for fun.

Just my sensible 2 cents and not busting anyone's chops.

Guys, it simple, competition. Why do we go to parades? Why do we attend musters? Why do we organized softball teams and gold tournaments? Why to we play beer pong????? We like friendly competition and taking pride in the competition we perform in. Plus too it an old time tradition to participate in competitions not only in the fire services but what about drum corps and marching bands, ect.??? It a good time and moral booster.

If you are into it fine but at the same time there many "overboard" situations that ruin it also. Got to keep in mind this if for fun.

Just my sensible 2 cents and not busting anyone's chops.

Thats EXACTLY what I was trying to say!

I like parades, I hate the BS attached.

- Bands are way too expensive.

- Competition is stupid.

- Too many people wearing uniforms get loaded and embarass us.

- We should be there for the ones watching us.

If a kid waves and expects you to wave back you shouldn't hesitate - just do it. I don't need to go thru life being judged on how I perform marching or how clean my rig is. Tell me I am a good fireman or an EMT - and tell me my rig is well designed and performs it's job - that's what I give a crap about.

I still march out of pride, but I refuse to take it so seriously that I get mad if I don't win something.

company pride thats what it is all about

I love marching and I was serious about it....havnt marched in a year and sorely miss it....it sucks watching parades.....

I enjoy having a few* beers with my buddies from different companies...catching up....you can see these guys 3 times a year and each time you do - it is like you have never been apart...BROTHERHOOD.

I love looking sharp, walking down Main St....with hundreds of people wacthing, with the few smartasses you know calling out your name...and trying NOT to smile.

I love never being out of step.....even after some cold refreshments... I LOVE when that mean, scary judge is walking with you step for step, 6 inches away, looking for any imperfection, and KNOWING he will NOT find one with me.

I love free hot dogs.

Above all - I loved hearing my son yell "There's Daddy!" for the first time he saw me at a parade....and this year, things coming full circle, when I go tto see him out front holding the banner for a band.......with his Grandfather, The Chief of Department, not far behind!

Parades are good for the soul................don't overthink it...you might just outsmart yourself.

I never participated much in parades but I sure watched a lot of 'em.

Ole, your excellent post took me back DECADES to Boxford, Massachusetts and Harrison, Maine (and a lot of places in between) and the bright-eyed kid I used to be.

Thank you for capturing the heart and motive of many who march.

Bob

not to be spiteful, but people remember who goes and dont go to these events and they dont forget ;-)

as Yogi Berra Said " If you don't go to other peoples funerals, they wont go to your!"

I guess some people are in to that sort of thing. Whatever makes you happy. I've made a point to stay back for all our parades this year to run the calls that go on while everyone else has the $300,000 machine two counties away. Besides the 50 people at the parade/4 respond to a full first alarm issue, the most disgusting thing is a certain department who actually takes a engine out of service for the whole parade season! Talk about betraying the taxpayers and those whose donate.

This has always been a sore subject with me....especially when I see some in uniform drunk and acting like a** holes.

Its time away from the pager and the tones going off, rolling out of bed and going from 0-100 (mentally) in a flash second. On top of that, it helps to instill a sense of comraderie, competition and pride in your department.

Lastly, it keeps us in touch with our roots and helps us remember those who took a chance several years ago and started their local fire companies.

Totally harmless, good time

I love marching and I was serious about it....havnt marched in a year and sorely miss it....it sucks watching parades.....

I enjoy having a few* beers with my buddies from different companies...catching up....you can see these guys 3 times a year and each time you do - it is like you have never been apart...BROTHERHOOD.

I love looking sharp, walking down Main St....with hundreds of people wacthing, with the few smartasses you know calling out your name...and trying NOT to smile.

I love never being out of step.....even after some cold refreshments... I LOVE when that mean, scary judge is walking with you step for step, 6 inches away, looking for any imperfection, and KNOWING he will NOT find one with me.

I love free hot dogs.

Above all - I loved hearing my son yell "There's Daddy!" for the first time he saw me at a parade....and this year, things coming full circle, when I go tto see him out front holding the banner for a band.......with his Grandfather, The Chief of Department, not far behind!

Parades are good for the soul................don't overthink it...you might just outsmart yourself.

i don't have kids, but you don't need kids to understand that what you mentioned, is what its all about!!

I agree to an extent, that some of the BS can be bothersome...especially in the eyes of the public...

I absolutely HATE seeing guys with their bell caps on backwards - a pet peeve of mine...it is disrespectful to the uniform.....

The same reasons that most of you mentioned, is exactly why I like the non judged parades, like Memorial Day and Saint Patrick's Day. It is all about morale and pride, but I can be just as pround of our 1949 Mack that has yet to be restored but is still fun to march in front of or ride. I can appreciate the joy the kids in the crowd get seeing us come by, and I like the fact that i can march down the street without some judge deciding the interior of my compartments weren't dusted after the last fire.

I remember watching these parades as a kid when my Brother was a member of a different local department, and it always looked like he was having fun. Once I joined, and saw the lengths some guys go to, with the wipers walking next to the engine to get that last minute spot off, I realized that I much prefere washing the rig, and going down the main street to honor the veterans and make the crowd happy, all while usually staying in service or on a delayed response.

I for one will stick to the local parades and maybe a few out of town parades if it is a big event, like a 100th aniversary or such.

They are there so you can take away what the root reason of a parade is...to alienate yourself from the crowd by having ridiculous rules like you can't wave while in formation.

Besides...where else can we often get more stuff to put on shelves and walls to collect dust that no one cares why you won it a year later anyhow. But its cool...you got the best engine award and on that particular night all the uniforms looked great...but never mind it takes 3 times as long as it should to pull a line. The last fire all 4 guys couldn't not even get the ladder up, but it looked like a money screwing an organ grinder on news12 carrying it back to the truck. 3/4 of the response didn't have all its PPE on, but all the badges got polished.

Now all (partial) joking aside...I think parades are great...but some take it way to serious and allow it to replace critical basic function training. People try to use terms like "paramilitary" when you couldn't be farther away from any sembelance of a military organization and I even mean the Air Force.