Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

WCPD's Bambi Bucket

18 posts in this topic

I'm sure Chris192 would know better, but has any department trained with Westchester County PD in the use of WCDES's Bambi Bucket that Westchester County PD's new helicopter is equipped with?

I don't recall it being deployed yet, either. But I'm sure WCPD Pilots have trained on it, does anyone have any photos?

Is it a stupid question if I ask: What is a bambi bucket?

I am gonna take a guess and say H2O ?

A Bambi-bucket is used to scoop water from ponds, lakes, and some rivers. The DES's version carries 300-500 gallons (?) of water, and is used for supplementing a brush fire attack. You are also able to use it to drop fire-retardant foam on brush fires. It's collapsible and easily carried.

http://www.sei-ind.com/cfm/index.cfm?It=90...mp;Sv=&Rn=1

Here is a short video of a bambi bucket operation:

or go to youtube and search ' Bambi Bucket'. NYPD also has bambi bucket, though not sure how far they will travel with it.

I forgot, I have photos and additional info!

post-11-1186775054.jpg

post-11-1186775062.jpg

From a Westchester County Press Release, transcribed by x635:

"The Bambi Bucket is a device used to assist firefighting at large brush fires. It holds 160 gallons (almost 1 ton) of water that can be dropped in inaccesible areas or when ground firefighters request assistance. These operations will be coordinated with the local fire cheifs who can monitor the entire fireground via (the helicopters) microwave downlink system (compatible with WCDES's new Mobile Command Center)."

NYPD was called to Somers in the late spring for a Brush Fire. Not sure if it was used but it was asked for.

There was a request twice in late April for the Bambi Bucket. The first request was for the large brush fire in somers and then several days later for another brush fire. I will send x635 some pics I have from that fire to be posted.

NYPD was called to Somers in the late spring for a Brush Fire. Not sure if it was used but it was asked for.

When we received the call for Somers in April, we had to call NYPD for mutual aid because our cargo hook (that the bambi-bucket connects to) was at the manufacturer for a mandatory inspection (figures doesn't it?). Anyway, the NYPD did several drops with their Bell 412 and bambi-bucket to help the ground operation while we downlinked live video to the ICP from our aircraft.

As for training with FD's, I'm not aware that any formal training is required for an FD to utilize us or the bucket. They just have to have a bigger than normal brush fire and/or access problems (like the fire in Ward Pound Ridge reservation a couple of years ago) and ask for us. Our unit is planning some outreach training to educate people on our existence and capabilities so you can expect to hear more about that this fall.

Hope that helps...

Must be pretty heavy water that weighs a ton per 160 gallons

Must be pretty heavy water that weighs a ton per 160 gallons

I agree. One gallon of water weighs 8.33 lbs, times 160 equals just over 1332 lbs.

I agree. One gallon of water weighs 8.33 lbs, times 160 equals just over 1332 lbs.

Why would the PD's handle brush fires don't the fire service have helicopters for that use in the forestry department.

Why would the PD's handle brush fires don't the fire service have helicopters for that use in the forestry department.

Not in New York State. The State Police provide aviation services for the state including the forest rangers and Department of Environmental Conservation. DEC used to have their own aircraft but many years ago all the avation services were folded into the SP. The NYPD and now WCPD also provide this capability locally.

This is a picture of NYPD in Somers

post-4-1186795317.jpg

I know Connecticut State Police "Trooper One" has a Bambi-Bucket as well. Not sure on the capacity, as I've never seen it used nor heard of it used before, but I know it exists.

its been used in ct on a few brush fires

I know Connecticut State Police "Trooper One" has a Bambi-Bucket as well. Not sure on the capacity, as I've never seen it used nor heard of it used before, but I know it exists.

They're flying a Bell 407 also so it's probably about the same size: 160-180 gallons or thereabouts.