Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Notice: Profane Language NOT TOLERATED On This Forum!

74 posts in this topic

The F word is accepted in fire house culture, so why not here. The chaplin of my department said he looks around if he doesn't hear it dropped in the first five minutes to make sure he is in the firehouse. I believe that if you drop an "occasional" curse, it is acceptable, but constant vulgarity should not be tollerated. Just my 2 cents.

In person in the firehouse? Maybe. But would you go to a restaeaunt or a store and throw that around? I don't think so, no, not out in the public. Well, when you spewthat on here, this board is just about as public as the store or restaraunt. So at this point I tend to agree with Seth. Just My Hunble Opinion

First of all, as long as the language isn't over the top, I don't see a problem. As long as I (and other posters here) don't sit here and curse off other members and their respective departments, then I don't see a problem.

Second of all, this board is supposed to be representative of the emergency services world. You show me what FF, cop, EMT, Medic, etc. that doesn't curse during their day-to-day operations, and I'll show you a liar. Everybody does it, and it's part of American Society, but also our emergency services sub-culture.

In the thread about Briarcliff's new rig, I discussed the obvious lack of quality in P&L Custom's trucks. One of the members here, who is a member of a department, that, like mine, has a P&L rig, spoke from experience and called it a POS. Was it a lie? No. Which brings me to my third point: If you curse to describe something, calling it a POS or what-have-you, and you're correct in your observation and you're not saying it to denigrate any one particular member or department, then I don't see a problem.

Fourth of all, I think there's more rules on here regarding what you CAN'T do rather than what you CAN do. I joined this board in the hopes that I would learn something since every individual brings something different to the table. Personally, I think the censorship on this site has gone way too far and has impacted the mission statement of having a clear, open dialog regarding pressing issues in the community. That's just my opinion, but to other people, it might just be a big pile of ****.

Let me make something clear here. The profanity rule applies to THIS thread too. Anyone who wants to push it, consider youselves warned.

I joined this board in the hopes that I would learn something since every individual brings something different to the table. Personally, I think the censorship on this site has gone way too far and has impacted the mission statement of having a clear, open dialog regarding pressing issues in the community. That's just my opinion, but to other people, it might just be a big pile of ****.

So, cursing and using vulgar language would help that mission how?

That last paragraph wasn't about cursing, as the word "curse" or a derivative thereof, was no where within its context. However, it was about overall censorship. All I have to say is "reading comprehension."

I agree with WOLFEMT. I like this site because I can read or start about topics that I am interested in. It doesn't bother me if somebody curses. Personally I think that if somebody doesn't curse then there is something wrong. If you are not attacking somebody then WHO CARES. I am pretty sure that everyone that comes on here CURSES on a regular basis or hears it just around the PD HQ, FIREHOUSE and AMB CORPS. Lighten up. I am not saying fill POSTS with CURSE LIKE WORDS but this site gets a little ridiculous with the rules. I know what you are going to say. "IF YOU DON"T LIKE THEN GO TO ANOTHER SITE".

WHO CARES.

Obviosuly, I do, for the reasons I mentioned above.

No offense, but you guys (WolfEMT, ONEEYEDMIC) always have something negative to say about this forum, no matter what I do. If I said everyone's allowed to curse, then I'm sure that you'd find something to criticize about that. For me, it's like the story of the little boy who cried wolf. And, I don't appreciate the taunts.

If you feel it's getting ridiculous, I could care less. I'll always do what I feel is best for the majority of the membership of this site. That's who I'm here for, those who actually appreciate this site. And those are the people I listen to.

Obviosuly, I do, for the reasons I mentioned above.

No offense, but you guys (WolfEMT, ONEEYEDMIC) always have something negative to say about this forum, no matter what I do. If I said everyone's allowed to curse, then I'm sure that you'd find something to criticize about that. For me, it's like the story of the little boy who cried wolf. And, I don't appreciate the taunts.

If you feel it's getting ridiculous, I could care less. I'll always do what I feel is best for the majority of the membership of this site. That's who I'm here for, those who actually appreciate this site. And those are the people I listen to.

Your kidding right? I have never said anything bad about the site in general. MAYBE ABOUT THE way that you just close and pull posts without anybody seeing them. Yeah I have a problem with that. I am a very intelligent person and can write a post without cursing. In some instances however a CURSE word works better than another word. SETH you take things way to personally. Nobody is taunting you. The site is very informative on some topics and on other topics ridiculous. That is what makes it so good. I don't have to read the topics that I don't want. You will see if you read in past posts the I stick to things that I know. I might ask a question in a post because I like to learn stuff.

As I posted previously, This is basically a public forum. Those of you who feel so strongly about being allowed to use "minor curse words, would you talk the same way while out in any public facilities? I think (for the most part) NOT!!!! With that said post on this forum as you would when you are in a verbal conversation. Nuff said.

Excellent question. It's highly cultural. Some cultures/languages use sacred as profane Great Heavens!, others body parts, or reference to copulatory or excretory function. What constitutes profane has to do with the bug a boos of different societies. Insults, on the other hand, the grown up version of the epithet almost all suggest that the individual has failed meet with local custom or that their immediate ancestors have not negotiated a marriage contract prior to engaging in reproductive activities.

Curiously, intimate contact with farm animals is not the basis of either epithets or insults, probably in that either the linguistic invention of profanity pre-existed domestication of sheep or that interactions with livestock were a lot more common and not considered out of the ordinary. I'm not sure we can debate the issue here without running afoul of regulations.

Profanity, at its essence, is an expression of anger or shock that takes up space while we get our thoughts together. It serves a better place in conversation, which has an element of spontaneity than it does in written discourse, where we ought to take the time to choose our words, or at least edit before we hit 'send.' My objection to salty language, if there is one, is it reflects emotion, not intellect. I'm not interested THAT someone is angry, but in WHY someone is angry. And like salt, its effect is diminished with overuse.

A joke: [i made it up myself, let's see if it gets through...] Scrabble is played around the world, but the letter sets have to be language specific. 'Q's are worth 10 points in English, but only one point in Spanish and one gets only a point for using a 'Z' in French. [This is all true.] That said, the Scrabble company made up a special scrabble set for the fire service......

It has 38 'C's, 38 'F's, 38 'K's and 38 'U's. "Ooh, Ooh, I can spell something!"

Wow, i have no idea what you just said...lol

sounds really deep though! :)

In person in the firehouse? Maybe. But would you go to a restaeaunt or a store and throw that around? I don't think so, no, not out in the public. Well, when you spewthat on here, this board is just about as public as the store or restaraunt. So at this point I tend to agree with Seth. Just My Hunble Opinion

i see what point you're trying to make doc, but this forum isnt a restaurant or store. there are no kids, wives or grandma's walking around doing the "ear muffs" on their children. its a forum consisting of cops, firemen, ems workers etc...people who talk amongst themselves in that language. let me ask you, when your vol department goes to a parade, or a picnic or a "wet-down", do you guys never drop a curse word at each other? at least once?

Your kidding right? I have never said anything bad about the site in general. MAYBE ABOUT THE way that you just close and pull posts without anybody seeing them. Yeah I have a problem with that.

This thread's about vulgar language. I'm sick having to address the completly false, uniformed accusation you make for the 1,000th time. Posting on here's a privledge, there are rules in place for a purpose- you can't just come on here, and use this forum with no regard for the rules that you agreed to follow when you registered, and then be suprised when your post is deleted. What are we supposed to do, have rules we don't enforce? Let this forum be a free-for-all??? It says you're in Law Enforcement- would you accept the excuse "Everybody does it" for speeding? Or allow people to commit criminal acts in front of your face, and take no action? You probaly use your discretion, although some people may not always agree with it, so why is it different here?

i see what point you're trying to make doc, but this forum isnt a restaurant or store. there are no kids, wives or grandma's walking around doing the "ear muffs" on their children. its a forum consisting of cops, firemen, ems workers etc...people who talk amongst themselves in that language. let me ask you, when your vol department goes to a parade, or a picnic or a "wet-down", do you guys never drop a curse word at each other? at least once?

This is a place for intelligent, respectful discussion where interaction is not face-to-face. This isn't a parade or picnic, so the comparison is moot. Therefore, cursing and using vulgar language adds uneccesary tension, and detracts from the post and thread. ONCE AGAIN, I could care less the way you speak to others in public, all I'm asking is that we refrain from the vulgar language on this forum. It shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I didn't know that I wasn't following the rules. I think that I am. I haven't cursed on here. Just making a point. Isn't that what EMT BRAVO'S about? What did I accuse you of that isn't true? This has nothing to do with LE. People do break the LAW everyday in front of me. Can't get them all can I? I know what you are saying. We need rules or there will be ANARCHY.

Perhaps there should be a thread for "venting". Just a place to get things off your chest without offending anyone that does not choose to be there. Just my opinion.

What I don't think people understand is when they think of this site, they associate it with me. That's why I take things so personally. I have no agenda, only the responsibilty to keep this forum as respectful, intelligent, and constructive as I possibly can. Sure, I curse all the time, especially when I have to do work on this site, lol. But when I'm reading, I don't like to see it or I, as do other members, percieve it as hostility. I'm looking to get rid of tensions, not breed them and I don't think vulgar language helps that....I think it only escelates situations.

I appreciate members input, I really do, but I'm not randomly putting these rules into place....they are developed for a reason.

What I don't think people understand is when they think of this site, they associate it with me. I have no agenda, only the responsibilty to keep this forum as respectful, intelligent, and constructive as I possibly can. That's why I take things so personally. Sure, I curse all the time, especially when I have to do work on this site, lol. But when I'm reading, I don't like to see it or I, as do other members, percieve it as hostility. I'm looking to get rid of tensions, not breed them and I don't think vulgar language helps that....I think it only escelates situations.

That might be the problem though. Nothing in this WORLD is perfect and you can't satisfy everyone. When I go to post I don't think about you SETH, I think about what I am going to write and about the TOPIC on hand. I am sorry if people read into what is being said. Believe me if anybody on here was in front of me when I was saying this stuff you would really be offended. Not because I am a mean person, but because I say things that other people aren't prepared to hear or say. In person I am very loud. Prob going deaf or something. My brother thinks I learned to whisper in a HELICOPTER. Anyway.....

I think Seth is using the "broken window" theory and I respect that. If you don't fix the little stuff it turns into bigger stuff. Its his board and I think we should live by his rules. Have some respect for the guy, he built this board from nothing and theres over 6000 members now, I can see his point in not wanting it to go down the tubes. I DO hope that the person who promted the vulgarity ban with his reference to vulgaritys with symbols was stripped of his points and issued a warning as I was for basically the same type of post. I am happy to say that I have totally revamped my posting techniques and am now a professional, clean poster ;-) I guess I needed that wake up call from Seth. So, respect the guy, his wishes and his site and lets keep this good thing going.

Seth...you're right as the person who runs it. When I post they don't associate it with you...they associate with me. We are good friends brother and you know I'd go to war with you I still just think that certain forms of profanity is acceptable in certain applications.

I'm sorry but bull (excretement) should be called bull (excrement) when it is flatly bull (excretement).

If all else fails...I will agree to disagree because I respect you because you are my friend and if all else fails...just ban everything but the profane form of excrement. Let those of the emergency services call something what it is when we need too....let the poopie word go free!

When was the last time I said anything negative about the forum that was unwarranted? And as far as the little boy who cried wolf, you got it wrong; it's more along the lines of the little boy who cried because his lunch money was stolen.

Some of the youth on this site are more mature than some of you. Just stop arguing and follow the rules the guy wants. You agreed to them when you signed up for membership. What a waste of a topic this is. Just cut back on the cursing and this site will be that much better...how hard is that? banghead1.gif. Compared to the other forums ive seen this is the best, and its the best b/c the admins and mods do a good job enforcing and makeing sure there members enforce the rules. If they think this new rule will help the site, ill agree to it b/c ive only seen this site get better and better. Grow Up.

(I had to say that, delete it if you have to)

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Boy, it must be slow these days within the Emergency Service Fields. 50 posts so far on whether or not we should be allowed to curse when posting. UNBELIEVABLE! BTW, where'd the thread go that FDNR Ladder12 started with regards to posting condolences for the deceased FDNY Brothers?

As a new member im going to stand behind Seth on this one. All of us have family do you want to hear people throwing down F bombs like they are going out of stlye while you have your family at the firehouse? i know i sure dont. well it goes for the same thing here. this site gets how many new members and visitors a month? what is that saying about the way that we all act? the ones who are making the biggest stink about it are those they most likely use those words you cant say on TV the most. Seth is just trying to make the room better for the younger generation and for the visitors.

When was the last time I said anything negative about the forum that was unwarranted?

Still waiting for an answer, Seth. If you're going to publicly state something that isn't completely true, then at least be able to back it up.

Seth I agree with your new policy 110%, this site is for professional individuals of the Emergency services community. we must treat each other with dignity and respect and in a public setting politically correct, so just communicate on this forum, like you would talk to your boss (on a good day)

stay safe

Sr71

i agree with you seth.also id like to thank you for setting up this forum.

Some of the youth on this site are more mature than some of you. Just stop arguing and follow the rules the guy wants. You agreed to them when you signed up for membership. What a waste of a topic this is.

Sooo they're not allowed to express how they feel about this new policy or debate comments made about their conduct? :huh:

The line between free discussion and people holding back for fear of offending is far thinner than it appears.

What I don't think people understand is when they think of this site, they associate it with me. That's why I take things so personally. I have no agenda, only the responsibilty to keep this forum as respectful, intelligent, and constructive as I possibly can. Sure, I curse all the time, especially when I have to do work on this site, lol. But when I'm reading, I don't like to see it or I, as do other members, percieve it as hostility. I'm looking to get rid of tensions, not breed them and I don't think vulgar language helps that....I think it only escelates situations.

I appreciate members input, I really do, but I'm not randomly putting these rules into place....they are developed for a reason.

Don't take this personally, but this is the gayest thing I have ever heard.

There is something wrong if you are identifying with an internet forum.

This site isn't called "seth's Coffehouse" or something like that.

You are doing a good job with this site. I believe there is software that will take an obscene word and put ***** in place so that the easily offended reader will not have to read a curse word. Why not leave it at that?????

istockphoto_552953_parental_advisory.jpg

I see the point you're trying to make, but you really shouldn't take everything too seriously. You'll give yourself an ulcer!

I haven't found anything offensive myself, probably because like almost everyone on here I grew up around the firehouse and cursing is as much a part of it as complaining is. If people are offended by the material, send them a box of kleenex to cry into. I'll even pay for it, because in my eyes, if you can't handle criticism, ribbing, ball-breaking and occassional cursing, you should pack it in and find something else to do. This is a grown-ups' world and people can easily be killed - if swearing upsets you, good luck Skippy.

I am sure I have offended some people with this - but as the saying goes, stuff happens.

I am sure I have offended some people

Sure have...like with that shirt you had on the other day where you cut the sleeves off...I'm still haunted. lol.

If you only offend 10-15% of the population...you are a leader and doing your job. If 25% or more are pissed...you are (F bomb)ing up. (I'm trying to stay compliant and prove my point that in some regards profanity can be appropriate to get your point across.) ;)

Maybe a few (even on this very thread) need to read this AGAIN!

NOTICE:

PROFANE LANGUAGE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!

From this point forward, any member found using profane language (or something that represents such), using symbols or other characters, to get around the automatic censors, or using vulgar or any other language to insult another member(s), will have their posting privileges immediately suspended for 3 months.